Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2013, 11:42 AM

12 posts, read 15,075 times

Advertisements

i'm not sure about that list but i love the southwest. so much to see and do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2013, 05:53 PM

2,032 posts, read 4,890,899 times
[quote=caphillsea77;28179150]For me the West is a huge source of inspiration. The natural superlatives out here are unparalleled. The colors, rock formations, lofty mountain peaks, deserts, forests, big skies, and variety of topography in the West are indeed awesome. I love the wide open spaces and unobstructed horizons of the Desert Southwest as much as I love the thick green forest canopies of the Pacific Northwest. The scenery out here also constantly changes. The transitions are incredible where one could traverse several different climate zones, contrasts in topography, and a variety of vegetation in a matter of a few hours. I love the West and I definitely feel at home out here, and when I'm not in the West I pine for it. Every state out West has something magnificent, this is what I love, love, LOVE about the West....

Those pics are awesome! The Southwest and the Northwest ones.

Old 02-11-2013, 01:22 AM

2,226 posts, read 3,854,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnricoV View Post
There are 13 west of the Continental Divide.

Alaska & Hawaii do count.
I did forget those. Although, four of those states have the divide running through them and most of the water in those states will end up in the Atlantic. But counting states that have the Rockies in them as "west of the Rockies" makes it possible. How could he ever choose between Utah, Idaho, Wyoming, and Montana, though?

Old 02-11-2013, 09:51 AM

6,413 posts, read 12,142,138 times
Yeah, everyone usually just thinks of the contiguous states. But when it comes to "awesome" ... Hawaii and Alaska probably belong at the top of the list.

Old 02-11-2013, 06:44 PM

1,979 posts, read 3,525,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Trafford View Post
...no water...
Washington state is almost entirely powered by HYDROelectricity. Grand Coulee Dam is the largest power plant - by far - in the U.S. We have more energy than we know what to do with, which is why we sell it to other states. Oh, yeah, and we sell our water to other states, too...we have literally shipped it to other states when they had a shortage.

Alaska and Hawaii have plenty of water, too. Or did you forget that they're in the west?

Old 02-12-2013, 12:41 AM

18,504 posts, read 15,545,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BellevueNative View Post
Washington state is almost entirely powered by HYDROelectricity. Grand Coulee Dam is the largest power plant - by far - in the U.S. We have more energy than we know what to do with, which is why we sell it to other states. Oh, yeah, and we sell our water to other states, too...we have literally shipped it to other states when they had a shortage.

Alaska and Hawaii have plenty of water, too. Or did you forget that they're in the west?
Selling and buying hydro power is a bit complicated, however, Washington State also buys hydro power from British Columbia, Canada.

Old 02-12-2013, 01:53 AM

1,979 posts, read 3,525,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
Selling and buying hydro power is a bit complicated, however, Washington State also buys hydro power from British Columbia, Canada.
Maybe. My point is we have a hell of a lot of water in Washington state, at least in Western Washington. Same goes for Oregon. And Alaska. Lots of rivers, lakes, inlets, mountain snowpacks, and of course the Pacific Ocean.

Old 02-12-2013, 05:24 AM

3,345 posts, read 3,074,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCobb View Post
I'm originally from the West Coast, and I agree all of these are good things. I have to ask though, have you ever been to the East? East beats West hands down imo.
No it doesn't.... the West is definitely better...... no NYC and DC and Miami, real mountains, places with no cell phone reception...... could go on forever, but I suspect you will admit defeat graciously

Old 02-12-2013, 05:28 AM

3,345 posts, read 3,074,158 times
[quote=cacto;28185588]
Quote:
Originally Posted by caphillsea77 View Post
For me the West is a huge source of inspiration. The natural superlatives out here are unparalleled. The colors, rock formations, lofty mountain peaks, deserts, forests, big skies, and variety of topography in the West are indeed awesome. I love the wide open spaces and unobstructed horizons of the Desert Southwest as much as I love the thick green forest canopies of the Pacific Northwest. The scenery out here also constantly changes. The transitions are incredible where one could traverse several different climate zones, contrasts in topography, and a variety of vegetation in a matter of a few hours. I love the West and I definitely feel at home out here, and when I'm not in the West I pine for it. Every state out West has something magnificent, this is what I love, love, LOVE about the West....

Those pics are awesome! The Southwest and the Northwest ones.
I have to agree..... I always feel so alive inside and in my soul out West. I like it in Texas alot better than the Northeast where I grew up. Texas is awesome, but I will be moving to a small town out far West to free my soul in the next few years.

Will miss you Texas, will not miss the Northeast and all its soul crushing stress

Old 02-15-2013, 06:45 PM

4,045 posts, read 4,428,541 times
[quote=A&M_Indie_08;28207123]
Quote:
Originally Posted by cacto View Post

I have to agree..... I always feel so alive inside and in my soul out West. I like it in Texas alot better than the Northeast where I grew up. Texas is awesome, but I will be moving to a small town out far West to free my soul in the next few years.

Will miss you Texas, will not miss the Northeast and all its soul crushing stress
Well said
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.