Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2013, 11:28 AM

27,565 posts, read 28,665,617 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithplya9 View Post
Hey CityLove, i didnt say i didnt like Boston, ive actually never been. What i was saying is that I was considering Boston but then heard other people on these forums say HORRIBLE things about and so it kind of scared me away from Boston.
BTW, don't EVER judge a place based merely on what you read on C-D or anywhere else. There is far more to every place than what you'll ever read about it.

That's a piece of advice I would give for everyone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2013, 12:47 PM

1,579 posts, read 2,341,583 times
New Orleans is highly over-hyped, IMO. It's dirty, low quality of life, run by corrupt politicians (including local democrats and state republicans), and is the murder capital of America.

2 out of the last 5 times I've been there, an urban male tried to knock my phone out of my hand in order to steal it. 4 out of 5 times I was uncomfortably harassed by males. I am scoffed at for trying to eat vegan at these so called awesome restaurants (Stella! refused to accommodate me).

On top of that, when you live in Austin or NO, you are still subject to ALEC-funded "Conservative" rule and police states.

Old 03-11-2013, 12:54 PM

4,241 posts, read 7,176,546 times
If you found Chicago boring you'll find anywhere boring.

Old 03-11-2013, 03:46 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,254,198 times
Seattle, Portland, San Francisco, Austin or Boston. Those are the best places right now for young people.

Old 03-11-2013, 05:39 PM

1,704 posts, read 3,443,841 times
What about Toronto?

I'd say that, Denver, Minneapolis, and Austin fit the bill best.

Old 03-17-2013, 06:05 PM

24 posts, read 151,833 times
Ok, so ive been lookin into Toronto.... but i hear Toronto is just like chicago...and Chicago was really whatevs.

Right now I think San Fran is my top choice, however, I think New Orleans would be awesome as well

Old 03-17-2013, 06:28 PM

654 posts, read 1,910,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Min-Chi-Cbus View Post
I'm going to go out on a limb and say that YOU may be your biggest problem, and not the places you live in. Generally, when people are miserable no matter where they go, this is the cause.

It's not meant to be a dig, but rather a fresh perspective. If I was my own worst enemy (and I'm not saying I'm not) and didn't know I'd want to figure it out somehow!
This sounds mean I know but I couldn't help thinking the same thing when I read the OP. The one thing in common with each place was YOU. Perhaps you could work on changing some of your attitudes so that you look for the good rather than finding fault with everything. Again, I know it sounds harsh but no place is going to make you happy without the right attitude.

Old 03-17-2013, 06:45 PM

654 posts, read 1,910,150 times
Quote:
ok so a lot to bring up:

First of all, thanks for all the replies!

so, about people talking about Texas.... I think if I living in Texas, Id have to do Austin. Houstin and Dallas both seem really artificial and ugly. Plus Houston is built on oil money and im really into green tech. and would hate myself for living there. But Austin truly does seem like an amazing place to live and ive been giving it a lot of consideration.

Fo all the people who are mentioning Denver. I had never really considered Denver until I starting seeing people say its a really cool city. Has anyone actually been to Denver? Hows life there? Hows crime? are the people friendly? do you feel trapped since Denver is like the only real city in a 5 state radius?

and NYC. Would LOVE to live there but Manhattan is probably way too expensive. Im willing to pay like 650 max.... but im willing to share a room with multiple people. does anyone know any good areas in lke Brooklyn that are still connected to the city, but cheaper?
I lived in Denver and I too am a gay male. I loved it. People are friendly and there are tons of things to do. However, I wonder if you would feel the same since you found Chicago boring. I think if you found Chicago boring, you would feel the same about Denver. I didn't feel it was isolated at all. Depends on what you define as isolated. As a major airport hub, I always found great rates when flying to other places. As far as driving, there aren't major cities nearby but there is fantastic scenery and outdoor recreational opportunities.

Old 03-19-2013, 10:20 AM

2 posts, read 1,754 times
Default Move to SF

Quote:
Ok, so ive been lookin into Toronto.... but i hear Toronto is just like chicago...and Chicago was really whatevs.

Right now I think San Fran is my top choice, however, I think New Orleans would be awesome as well

Yes, move to SF, as soon as possible. As a gay male you need to live in SF at least once, even though it's incredibly expensive and not as creative/cool as it once was. Who cares. Live in Oakland. Not as beautiful at SF, but more affordable and maybe more edgy. Lake Merritt area is tame but sweet. You will never be able to afford a home in the bay area, if and when you do decide to buy, but at least, as a young man, you can live there now. Get a shared place. Go for many hikes, sit in many cafes, eat a lot of organic produce from farmers markets. Meet many other gay men and progressive folks and other beautiful losers (I mean this with great respect). Go to Yosemite. Drive down to Big Sur. Take long walks in Golden Gate park. Get a crappy job as a bartender or whatever, for a year or two. Read great novels. Dream of personal and social revolution. Go.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.