Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-06-2014, 02:09 PM

4,792 posts, read 6,057,343 times

Advertisements

Listen to a Black person from New York, then a Black person from Houston, then a Black person from LA, then one from Philly, then one from Chicago and tell me they all sound the same.

I listen to a lot of rap. My favorite type of rap is from the East Coast, specifically New York. When I first started listening to rap, I was actually quite surprised that the Black guy I was listening to sounded nothing like the Blacks I went to High School with. I am not Black, either. But I did used to think that Blacks sounded alike UNTIL I listened to rap from different regions. The slang is different. The letters they drop are different. Blacks in LA don't drop the "r" in words like "car". They instead say "cawr" (similar to many White Angelenos). Blacks in Chicago DO drop the "r" from "car" and say "cah" like New Yorkers of any color, but it is NOT consistent across the board. Blacks say "waw-ter" in Chicago, "wooder" in Philly, and "wah-tah" in NY to say "water". So, really, I guess sometimes the only thing consistent across the board for Blacks in the US is probably the use of certain slang terms. But even then, it's questionable. Kind of like how Italians in Chicago will have their Italianisms like Italians in NY, but they don't sound alike.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2014, 03:18 PM

6,208 posts, read 9,213,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieOlSkool View Post
Listen to a Black person from New York, then a Black person from Houston, then a Black person from LA, then one from Philly, then one from Chicago and tell me they all sound the same.

I listen to a lot of rap. My favorite type of rap is from the East Coast, specifically New York. When I first started listening to rap, I was actually quite surprised that the Black guy I was listening to sounded nothing like the Blacks I went to High School with. I am not Black, either. But I did used to think that Blacks sounded alike UNTIL I listened to rap from different regions. The slang is different. The letters they drop are different. Blacks in LA don't drop the "r" in words like "car". They instead say "cawr" (similar to many White Angelenos). Blacks in Chicago DO drop the "r" from "car" and say "cah" like New Yorkers of any color, but it is NOT consistent across the board. Blacks say "waw-ter" in Chicago, "wooder" in Philly, and "wah-tah" in NY to say "water". So, really, I guess sometimes the only thing consistent across the board for Blacks in the US is probably the use of certain slang terms. But even then, it's questionable. Kind of like how Italians in Chicago will have their Italianisms like Italians in NY, but they don't sound alike.

Old 10-06-2014, 03:49 PM

Also, whoever says they can tell a White/Black/Asian/etc. by their voice is fooling themselves. People used to tell me I sounded Black on the phone. Now they tell me I sound White. I am neither.

Old 10-06-2014, 09:40 PM

233 posts, read 374,244 times
There are parts of Chicago you would swear you were in old country Mississippi. Those who tend to get more of an education and assimilate more to White American society do actually start to have the Northern accents, definitely.

Old 10-07-2014, 07:46 AM

10,787 posts, read 8,759,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
People tend to have the accent of those grow up with. Blacks in most areas tend to be somewhat socially segregated, so they keep their accent. Also, not being black but guessing, there might be a social stigma amongst blacks who lose their accents as someone rejecting their community or heritage.

Blacks I've met who grew in areas with few people don't have the accent, as they're mostly around non-blacks without an African-American accent.
I'm black and was born in Philly and have always lived there. My grandparents( and assorted cousins)came to Phila., from the South, almost a century ago and none of them had southern accents. Or at least they lost them before I heard them speak. And no one in my family uses any kind of southern inflection today. Why should we? We're not southerners.

As you say it's probably culture that causes so many blacks to maintain certain accents and word usage.

Old 10-07-2014, 07:49 AM

10,787 posts, read 8,759,762 times
Quote:

"Wooder" is not a racially based pronounciation in Philly. Many natives (whites too)say "water" that way.

Old 10-07-2014, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burrrrr View Post
There are parts of Chicago you would swear you were in old country Mississippi. Those who tend to get more of an education and assimilate more to White American society do actually start to have the Northern accents, definitely.
Unless they live in the South in which they will still have accents like Southern white people.

Old 10-07-2014, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
"Wooder" is not a racially based pronounciation in Philly. Many natives (whites too)say "water" that way.
Where did I say it's only a Black thing? Can you show me where in my post I was saying that Blacks in Philly talk differently than Whites? In my opinion, the Northeast is where Blacks and Whites are more likely to sound the same. I remember hearing Jadakiss talk on a CD skit and I thought it was some Italian guy. Turns out it was just Jadakiss with his very New York way of talking. I could have sworn it was some scene from a mafia movie.

Also, wooder is not just a Philly thing. I've met Whites from Virginia that say "wooder"

Here's the thing. I'm not the idiot who believes that Black people magically sound different than Whites or that they all sound the same. Case in point: I am a fan of Duck Dynasty. In one episode they have to get help from the townspeople to help them on a big project. Some of the black residents of West Monroe, LA help them. They sounded just as backwoods and redneck as the White people did. I couldn't tell their accent apart.

Even some White Southerners sound different than each other. It's a culture thing. Rural White southerners and city White southerners have a different way of talking. Those who pride themselves on being redneck do not have the same sound as those city people. I've met some Southerners who sounded practically English and they definitely weren't rednecks.

Old 10-07-2014, 10:54 AM

8,011 posts, read 11,404,247 times
We got our accent from Africa first, then America after we learned how to speak English, so it depends where in America we are from how we will sound. Most of us naturally speak broken English and learn proper English later, unless we grow up in a household where our parents speak proper English only. Blacks who speak proper English 24/7 is obviously not the majority and that's why we sound the way we do too, plus the simple fact that it was against the law for us to read the language for about 200 years. It's not easy going everywhere speaking proper English all the time if that's not the way you were raised. That's why some white people have a hard time understanding what we say.

Old 10-07-2014, 11:35 AM

32,101 posts, read 34,720,210 times
Quote:
Also, whoever says they can tell a White/Black/Asian/etc. by their voice is fooling themselves. People used to tell me I sounded Black on the phone. Now they tell me I sound White. I am neither.
I don't know if you can tell a White person from Asian person (depending upon how assimilated said Asian person is). But it's generally pretty easy to distinguish a Black voice from a White voice (that goes for speaking and singing).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.