Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2014, 04:46 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,935,022 times

Advertisements

South Florida is dangerous, full of crime, poverty, violence, gangs. SoCal is probably safer. South Florida, isn't safe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2014, 05:09 PM

5,888 posts, read 13,004,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sound of Reason View Post
Two of the worst places, in terms of people quality, in the nation.

Southern California:

Tattoos are the rage. It seems like a majority of young adults these days are sporting tattoos in southern California. It makes them look TRASHY. You'd think that that southern California were the cesspool of civility. We're talking tattoos on arms, legs, necks, face, you name it.

Clothing style is horrible. Extra large baggy shorts, DC skater hats and shirts, or various other adolescent clothing that you find many people, even up into their thirties wearing. Over-grown, immature kids throughout much of Southern California.

Tweakers Galore
Sounds like the Saint Louis Metro Area, which seems far worse than the 909.

Old 03-28-2014, 06:25 PM

23,524 posts, read 24,006,421 times
Southern Florida has a more "redneck" feel and not as cosmopolitan. Southern California is definitely more sophisticated.

Old 03-29-2014, 01:15 PM

1,640 posts, read 2,655,847 times
I've lived in both South FL (12 years) and Southern CA (4 years), and I vastly prefer Southern CA to South FL for a few reasons.

Southern CA has a much stronger, more diversified economy than South FL. Hell, even San Diego, which is generally regarded as the toughest economy of the major CA metro areas, has a stronger economy than South FL, especially for educated professionals. Southern CA has a larger corporate presence than South FL--more corporate HQ's, regional offices, office parks, industrial centers, etc. as well as more and better higher educational offerings. Therefore, Southern CA has a much stronger entrepreneurial spirit, more competitive ethos, and more professional vibe in general than South FL.

Even though Southern CA has a much higher COL than South FL, wages and salaries are much more proportional to COL. I’ve met professionals that have relocated to Southern CA from South FL for this reason alone! Since professionals are generally better educated and compensated in Southern CA, they tend to be happier and more content with their careers and life in general.

While lacking the lush subtropical vegetation and pristine beaches of South FL, the scenery of Southern CA is vastly superior to the scenery of South FL, mostly due to the varied topography. South FL is as flat as a pancake and has pretty lousy surf to boot, so it's a less conducive place to physical activities such as hiking, mountain biking, surfing, et al. Compared to South FL, the weather of Southern CA is more preferable to most folks--milder, sunnier, drier, sunnier, less volatile, etc. The weather and topography of Southern CA encourage outdoor activity and help make it a much more active, outdoors-oriented place overall. Besides the beach, the population of South FL isn't very outdoorsy, LOL. In The population of Southern CA is generally more health-conscious, too--more organic food stores, more supporters of CSA, fewer smokers, fewer overweight/obese people, etc.

People in Southern CA are much more pleasant and easier to live around than people in South FL, which is home to the rudest, angriest, most aggressive people in the entire nation, IMO. There are definitely more way more deviant/creepy/bizarre/shady/ghetto types in South FL.

Driving in South FL is a very scary experience, as drivers down there are, perhaps, the most aggressive in the U.S. after those in the NYC area, which is where most people in South FL come from--go figure. On a similar note, since many of the people living in South FL are from the Northeast (although mostly NYC/LI/NJ), you hear a lot of whining, complaining, and "kvetching" down there. If you don't wanna hear about how NYC is God's gift day-in and day-out, don't move to South FL.

Although not quite as bad as the Northeast, South FL is more conformist and less "questioning" than Southern CA because, after all, it's still the East. For example, lots of kids in South FL become attorneys, MD's, CPA's, etc. because that's what their parents do for a living and that's all they know. Moreover, lots of these kids go on to work at their parents' firms and practices, and many live at home until they get married--very East Coast-like.

Oh, yeah--South FL is much more transient than Southern CA, too, the latter of which is home to tons of natives (to my surprise, actually), so way less state pride. People in FL are prouder to be from somewhere else or the children of transplants from elsewhere than to be from FL. I lived in FL for years, and I wouldn't be able to pick out the state flag if you were holding a loaded gun to my head. OTOH, I knew what the CA state flag looked like by Day 2. Speaks volumes, IMO.

Southern CA has a West Coast vibe: very casual; polite; tolerant, even if not approving; and generally aloof, but pleasant if engaged. It's a very live-and-let-live, "come as you are" type of place. Also, people in Southern CA are Westerners, so they are generally positive/upbeat, tend to avoid complaining, and are more likely to internalize conflict. Westerners definitely don't let whatever hits the brain to come out the mouth like East Coasters--thank goodness.

Overall, South FL just has a very strange vibe--East Coast/Caribbean/Latin American with some Southern/redneck undertones. Where it isn't Northeastern in culture, it's Latin American. Where it's neither Northeastern nor Latin American in culture, it's Southern/redneck/ghetto. It's just a very difficult place to live, IMO. Southern CA is simply a more pleasant, laid-back place to live than South FL, despite having worse traffic, congestion, and pollution as well as a higher COL.

Last edited by 8to32characters; 03-29-2014 at 01:41 PM..

Old 03-29-2014, 03:16 PM

1,682 posts, read 3,297,725 times
^Great Analysis.

Old 03-30-2014, 02:58 AM

8,289 posts, read 13,561,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sound of Reason View Post
Two of the worst places, in terms of people quality, in the nation.

Southern California:

Tattoos are the rage. It seems like a majority of young adults these days are sporting tattoos in southern California. It makes them look TRASHY. You'd think that that southern California were the cesspool of civility. We're talking tattoos on arms, legs, necks, face, you name it.

Clothing style is horrible. Extra large baggy shorts, DC skater hats and shirts, or various other adolescent clothing that you find many people, even up into their thirties wearing. Over-grown, immature kids throughout much of Southern California.

Tweakers Galore

Trash Mouths. You hear more people saying, F-this, F'n, or whatever other gutter language in this part of the country than anywhere else. The vocabulary is very low.

Third World- The American young adults commonly display what's above, but they seem to be the minority to the third world army that has taken over the rest of southern California. Much of southern California might as well be Mexico. Fontana, Ontario, the entire eastern side of LA, pretty much the entire Inland Empire is occupied territory these days. You might see twenty percent, tops, that is American in much of this area.

I find it hard to believe that anyone could still act like southern California is anything but an area where politicians allowed the dregs of Mexico to take over approximately sixty percent of the populated areas, and where the American populace remaining has turned to drugs, tattoos, and various other forms of uncivility at alarming rates. If you find a decent place to live, it will be taken over within ten years, if it isn't already. Forget about sending your kid to a decent school. Probably only five percent of schools are even populated by a majority of American kids these days.

South Florida:

Talk about another crap hole.

Drugs: South Florida is known for being built on drugs. Degenerate behavior is the result of a large percentage of degenerate people,

Degeneracy

Crime

Third World: Miami-Dade might as well be cut off from America, considering how few Americans live in the country these days. Broward County is right there with them as well, and Palm Beach County is just a decade behind.
What a bunch of BS! Built on drugs? Are you still watching "Miami Vice" and "Scarface"? as if it were still the 1980s?
As for Miami-Dade being cut-off from the rest of "Amer-duh" you can't keep your drug sniveling a s s es out of our business!

Old 03-30-2014, 03:13 AM

9,469 posts, read 10,799,394 times
South east Florida is like a warm part of the yankee northeast. New YAWK and New Joisssey accents abound, rude driving and aggressive people everywhere. New Jersey with sun and palm trees.

Old 02-25-2017, 03:14 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,663,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiRob View Post
What a bunch of BS! Built on drugs? Are you still watching "Miami Vice" and "Scarface"? as if it were still the 1980s?
As for Miami-Dade being cut-off from the rest of "Amer-duh" you can't keep your drug sniveling a s s es out of our business!
The tone of that response is a perfect example of what others have said about the brash rudeness of South Florida.

Old 02-26-2017, 09:33 PM

5,390 posts, read 9,689,444 times
I think it's pretty nice here. I've been to soCal and no doubt it's gorgeous, but I guess I choose to see the positive here. I went paddleboarding on Biscayne Bay today, it was 84 degrees and gorgeous. Had a BBQ on the beach, went on a jet ski. Did some snorkeling on Key Biscayne, the water was 78 degrees and crystal clear. I loved living here today. #tropicalParadise

Old 03-10-2017, 08:01 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,663,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OptimusPrime69 View Post
I think it's pretty nice here. I've been to soCal and no doubt it's gorgeous, but I guess I choose to see the positive here. I went paddleboarding on Biscayne Bay today, it was 84 degrees and gorgeous. Had a BBQ on the beach, went on a jet ski. Did some snorkeling on Key Biscayne, the water was 78 degrees and crystal clear. I loved living here today. #tropicalParadise
Absolutely. If someone is into water sports, Florida is a great place. Otherwise, I'm pretty sure California wins out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.