U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: 4th largest metro area by built-up geographic area
Atlanta 5 11.90%
Boston 1 2.38%
Dallas 11 26.19%
Detroit 0 0%
Houston 11 26.19%
Miami 1 2.38%
Philadelphia 5 11.90%
San Francisco Bay area 5 11.90%
Washington D.C. 3 7.14%
Other 0 0%
Voters: 42. You may not vote on this poll

 
 
Old 03-06-2013, 04:43 PM
 
811 posts, read 778,840 times
Reputation: 461

Advertisements

After New York, Los Angeles, and Chicago, which metro region appears to be the fourth most spread out metropolitan area in terms of built-up/developed (non-rural) area?
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-06-2013, 04:59 PM
 
Location: Up on the moon laughing down on you
18,509 posts, read 27,244,461 times
Reputation: 7562
From this list Boston and ATL has the biggest built areas but they are not continuous.

SF and Miami are confined, they have the smallest. Fyi LAs built environment is not as large as you think.

Anyway from your choices I would say Houston or DFW has the biggest continuous development from the choices spreading about 75miles in diameter
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-06-2013, 05:01 PM
 
811 posts, read 778,840 times
Reputation: 461
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
From this list Boston and ATL has the biggest built areas but they are not continuous.

SF and Miami are confined, they have the smallest. Fyi LAs built environment is not as large as you think.

Anyway from your choices I would say Houston or DFW has the biggest continuous development from the choices spreading about 75miles in diameter
What do you mean that Boston and Atlanta are not continuous? I'm not aware of non-contiguous development in the Atlanta area.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-06-2013, 05:30 PM
 
Location: MD suburbs of DC
607 posts, read 1,035,376 times
Reputation: 422
Either Boston or DC. I suppose you could make an argument for Atlanta and Houston as well.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-06-2013, 10:04 PM
 
Location: South Beach and DT Raleigh
11,543 posts, read 17,884,191 times
Reputation: 10686
Built up but spread out?
This thread confuses me. Which is it?

Miami is the 4th largest urban area in the nation but it's hardly spread out.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-07-2013, 06:56 AM
 
Location: Willowbend/Houston
13,403 posts, read 20,277,910 times
Reputation: 10181
I would say DFW or Houston. The development spreads for over 60 miles.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-07-2013, 10:42 AM
 
Location: Up on the moon laughing down on you
18,509 posts, read 27,244,461 times
Reputation: 7562
Quote:
Originally Posted by justme02 View Post
I would say DFW or Houston. The development spreads for over 60 miles.
That's what I am saying. Boston is spread out but it is in rings. Not continuous. Philly is the same.

LA is not as spread out as the OP listed.

NY is the biggest
Chicago is second (ATL would be second if it was more continuous)
DFW, LA and Houston are third, 4th and 5th (Philly and Boston are larger but with gaps)
Atlanta and Philly would be 6th and 7th
Boston would be 8th
Detroit and DC round out the top ten.

Miami is real close
Then Phoenix, Minneapolis and Seattle.

So the answer to the OP is either Houston, LA or DFW
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-07-2013, 11:22 AM
 
Location: Zurich, Switzerland/ Piedmont, CA
31,575 posts, read 53,103,852 times
Reputation: 14495
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
That's what I am saying. Boston is spread out but it is in rings. Not continuous. Philly is the same.

LA is not as spread out as the OP listed.

NY is the biggest
Chicago is second (ATL would be second if it was more continuous)
DFW, LA and Houston are third, 4th and 5th (Philly and Boston are larger but with gaps)
Atlanta and Philly would be 6th and 7th
Boston would be 8th
Detroit and DC round out the top ten.

Miami is real close
Then Phoenix, Minneapolis and Seattle.

So the answer to the OP is either Houston, LA or DFW
Im just not seeing how Houston is as built up and spread out as LA?
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-07-2013, 11:48 AM
 
Location: M I N N E S O T A
14,805 posts, read 16,980,066 times
Reputation: 8981
nat-geo-sprawl-map-2001.jpg (image)

Its an old map but by eyeballing it, looks like either Dallas, Los Angeles or Boston.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-07-2013, 11:54 AM
 
Location: Up on the moon laughing down on you
18,509 posts, read 27,244,461 times
Reputation: 7562
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Im just not seeing how Houston is as built up and spread out as LA?
well if you are going by CSAs then yes. the total land alloted to LA is about the size of Georgia

but by built up area LA is NOT that spread out like yall are making it seem.

its UA for example is what? less than 2000 sq miles compare that to its 35K CSA.

Anyway, thanks for showing LA in its entirety and beyond and cutting out like 8 counties for Houston

You don't even show Galveston to the South
Where is Huntsville to the North???
The Metro goes on for about 20 miles passed Katy, why did you cut it in Katy?

anyway here are cool night pics of LA and Houston:

LA- http://mbdarkskiesalliance.org/uploa...660861.jpg?416
Houston- http://eoimages.gsfc.nasa.gov/images...078463_lrg.jpg
DFW- http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...orth_Space.jpg
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top