Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2016, 08:40 AM

37,881 posts, read 41,933,711 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atony View Post
It's the difference between democratic voting and progressive. Those are democratic strongholds, but I don't see them as being as progressive as the places I mentioned. Though to be fair, those are larger cities while the places I mentioned other than Austin are small-ish.
Those places certainly have elements of progressive ideology in place as well; they are far from simply being democratic strongholds. Otherwise I would have named pretty much every sizable city in the South and not those three specifically. I tend to think of LGBT-friendliness as being something of a proxy for progressive ideology and all three of those places are at the top of the pack in the South, along with the others you mentioned. Plus it seems they do a better job of embracing racial/ethnic diversity than the three you listed aside from the Triangle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2016, 10:21 AM

9 posts, read 9,315 times
Miami of course

Old 08-29-2016, 11:32 AM

14,353 posts, read 17,022,283 times
This whole "only white people are liberal/progressive, black people and Latinos aren't" thing is getting tiresome to say the least.

Old 08-29-2016, 12:03 PM

10,105 posts, read 7,397,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
This whole "only white people are liberal/progressive, black people and Latinos aren't" thing is getting tiresome to say the least.
it would be weird if black and latinos voted for the Democrat party in such large percentages but are not liberal.

Old 08-29-2016, 12:04 PM

10,105 posts, read 7,397,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShekelLand View Post
The words , The South, and Liberalism don't go together...lol
FDR won nearly 100 percent of the vote in the south. he was a liberal. liberal Democrats owned the south up until Nixon winning it in 1968.

Old 08-29-2016, 03:53 PM

78 posts, read 78,374 times
Miami is liberal. The problem is, many of the events the city did to signify it as liberal (LGBT, environment, etc) took place decades ago, so people today don't often think of the city, in light of recent hot-button issues.

Houston is too dichotomous and polarized. It has no ERO (as of now), and has heavy sprawl/pollution, yet actually cares heavily for its environment/air quality, holds strong potential in Green initiatives, and elected an open LGBT mayor multiple times in the first place.

Last edited by GhostInTheMatrix; 08-29-2016 at 04:02 PM..

Old 08-30-2016, 10:38 AM

6,350 posts, read 11,586,662 times
Quote:
This whole "only white people are liberal/progressive, black people and Latinos aren't" thing is getting tiresome to say the least
There are socially conservative white Democrats (think Union members) and very socially liberal blacks and Latinos of course. But you can't ignore the large voting blocks of AAs that are active in socially conservative churches.

You can't always say progressive equals Dem. I consider Chattanooga to be very progressive on many issues but the money and impetuous for the programs comes from rich republicans (friends of Bob Corker). Now the work may be carried out by Ds but the money behind it is R.

Old 08-31-2016, 09:36 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,301,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simpsonvilllian View Post
it would be weird if black and latinos voted for the Democrat party in such large percentages but are not liberal.
Black democrats in the south are not typically liberal. Not like you'd find in SF or Seattle.
Quote:
FDR won nearly 100 percent of the vote in the south. he was a liberal. liberal Democrats owned the south up until Nixon winning it in 1968.
You know this is not true. Democrats were conservative. Republicans were liberals.

https://www.google.com/?ion=1&espv=2...ies%20switched

Old 09-02-2016, 04:38 PM

253 posts, read 304,574 times
You'll always find small enclaves in any large or medium sized city. But really, there isn't some bastion of liberalness or decency in the south. It's really easy to cultivate a great progressive community of friends and acquaintances, but you're still likely to return home with neighbors on either side of you flying confederate flags, or go to work where a coworker moans about equality for LGBT people, or drive by dozens of church signs with some of the most atrocious things imaginable written on them. Speaking of church, it infects just about every aspect of life. I can't get through a meeting at a governmental organization without some yahoo breaking out into prayer and encouraging everyone else to similarly talk to their various sky fairies.

You just have to determine whether or not the benefits of living in the South outweigh the negatives of being a decent progressive in the bible belt.

Quote:
i've never witnessed gay, autstic, atheists, being ridiculed or scorned in the south in 35 years. i don't think atheists / non church 'break the mold', you just have a stereotype that most people in south are religious.

a few nerdy / non athletic where picked on when i was young but that happens everywhere.

where have you lived in the south? I see you talking about it a lot. you make a lot of assertions about people in the south but it does not seem possible that you know most of them.
You've obviously never been gay or atheist in the south. I am, I've lived in the south a good portion of my life. Currently live in the largest city in the south. I get scorned and bashed all the time. Sometimes it's just simple microaggressions. Often it's people spewing bigotry about people like me without realizing I'm the exact person they are speaking about. Occasionally it's outright ridicule, harassment and even violence.

This doesn't even touch upon the long tradition of things like a long tradition anti-LGBT legislation or governments doing things to subtly force theism or other supernatural mumbo jumbo into public life.

Old 09-02-2016, 05:28 PM
_OT

2,183 posts, read 2,416,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyeBright View Post
You've obviously never been gay or atheist in the south. I am, I've lived in the south a good portion of my life. Currently live in the largest city in the south. I get scorned and bashed all the time. Sometimes it's just simple microaggressions. Often it's people spewing bigotry about people like me without realizing I'm the exact person they are speaking about. Occasionally it's outright ridicule, harassment and even violence.

This doesn't even touch upon the long tradition of things like a long tradition anti-LGBT legislation or governments doing things to subtly force theism or other supernatural mumbo jumbo into public life.
I have plenty of Gay, Atheist and Muslim friends, we've never ran into or had to deal with any drama. Not saying your experiences aren't true, but for the most part it depends on the person.

I used to lived in NYC around West Indians who would have no problem calling gay men "Batty Boys," which is a derogatory term towards homosexuals. Even though a few individuals thought that way, I didn't generalize those people, or what they were about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.