Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2013, 06:46 PM

654 posts, read 1,910,150 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
Well that, and other regular people. Cowboy hats are RARELY ever seen in New England, so it was another culture shock to me.
They are rather rare here in Texas as well. What you see on TV on shows like Dallas is not reality.

Quote:
Texas is much different than New England, and for the worse. It's loaded with Republicans, extremely isolated cities,
Again with the isolation. I see you live in Granby, CT. According to google maps, you are 2 hrs from Boston and 2.5 from NYC. Also according to google maps, my home here in Pflugerville, TX (an Austin suburb) is 2.5 hrs from Houston and 2.75 hrs from Dallas. Please explain to me how such slight differences transform into "extremely isolated" cities. In fact, you live in the more isolated place since my town is much larger than yours.

Quote:
anti-gay politics
Such as? Gay marriage? No, not legal here yet. It will be shortly. It will be everywhere after the Supreme Court makes it so nationally.

Quote:
and has illegal immigration problems.
Texas is hardly alone in this. In fact, I think you'll find it occurring in your much loved northeastern cities as well.

Quote:
The climate is also quite extreme, with never-ending heat for 7 months straight, complete with intense humidity.
Yes, the climate is extreme. People move here in droves claiming they love the milder weather, and can't take another winter with all the snow. I actually agree with you. The weather here in the long summer sucks. But we seem to be the minority view on this.

Quote:
I didn't think the people were that friendly either.
I think they are quite friendly. However, if you displayed the same attitude in person that you do on this website, I'm not surprised they weren't so friendly to you.

Quote:
I think the landscape is stunning, however.
Really? Where did you go? Wasn't Houston, that's been established. Where the most people live, DFW, Austin, San Antonio, I wouldn't call the scenery stunning there. Where did you go?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2013, 06:52 PM

607 posts, read 1,373,343 times
As much as I don't like saying it...

DC. Not the city, but its suburbs.

Old 03-20-2013, 08:11 PM

37,882 posts, read 41,956,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David_J View Post

I guess you mean outside of the historic town centers.

Even so, the New Urbanist developments with transit makes suburban DC pretty functional.

Old 03-20-2013, 09:37 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,312,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
I never heard of unplanned suburbia, the suburbs i know of are all planned.

actually, I can't really think how a city could be unplanned in the first place.
If suburbs were planned they wouldn't be so dreadful.

Old 03-20-2013, 10:09 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,949,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marat View Post
They are rather rare here in Texas as well. What you see on TV on shows like Dallas is not reality.

Again with the isolation. I see you live in Granby, CT. According to google maps, you are 2 hrs from Boston and 2.5 from NYC. Also according to google maps, my home here in Pflugerville, TX (an Austin suburb) is 2.5 hrs from Houston and 2.75 hrs from Dallas. Please explain to me how such slight differences transform into "extremely isolated" cities. In fact, you live in the more isolated place since my town is much larger than yours.

Such as? Gay marriage? No, not legal here yet. It will be shortly. It will be everywhere after the Supreme Court makes it so nationally.

Texas is hardly alone in this. In fact, I think you'll find it occurring in your much loved northeastern cities as well.

Yes, the climate is extreme. People move here in droves claiming they love the milder weather, and can't take another winter with all the snow. I actually agree with you. The weather here in the long summer sucks. But we seem to be the minority view on this.

I think they are quite friendly. However, if you displayed the same attitude in person that you do on this website, I'm not surprised they weren't so friendly to you.

Really? Where did you go? Wasn't Houston, that's been established. Where the most people live, DFW, Austin, San Antonio, I wouldn't call the scenery stunning there. Where did you go?
Granby, CT is near Hartford, CT and Springfield, MA. Both of those metro areas combined have about 1.9 million people. And the main difference is that there is continuous urban and suburban development if you were to drive to NYC or Boston. In Texas, however, between the major cities, there's almost nothing but countryside. That's why central CT is not isolated and Texas cities are.

Old 03-20-2013, 10:23 PM

7,743 posts, read 15,871,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
Texas is much different than New England, and for the worse. It's loaded with Republicans, extremely isolated cities, anti-gay politics and has illegal immigration problems.
And yet Houston was the first large city to vote in an openly gay person for Mayor. Oh, she also happens to be Democrat. For a state loaded with "Republicans.... and anti gay politics" you would think such thing would never happen in Texas.

Old 03-20-2013, 10:48 PM

830 posts, read 1,019,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David_J View Post

Nah...It may be true that yuppies might live there and aspire to a certain lifestyle, but for the most part DC's burbs are pretty nice, and in part because many were pre-existing cities and towns that just happened to get overtaken by the DC morass. Chevy Chase, Alexandria, and other little places imho have plenty of character. Compare that to Charlotte's suburbs which are only there because of the growth (sprawl) of Charlotte. And Charlotte itself is what I like to call the 'downtown office park,' and you know exactly what I mean by that. An awesome place for sure, but designed more as a functional business center as opposed to a human-scaled, people-centric center. I think the unfortunate winners of this thread are Charlotte, Phoenix, Las Vegas, and Orlando, or perhaps any number of glitzy convention cities in the sunbelt that rack it up when it comes to sprawlsy, plastic development.

Old 03-20-2013, 11:31 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,500,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
If suburbs were planned they wouldn't be so dreadful.
Well I don't find them so dreadful, usually very high quality of life, big homes, good schools, little crime.

Old 03-21-2013, 12:05 AM

10,681 posts, read 6,115,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
Well I don't find them so dreadful, usually very high quality of life, big homes, good schools, little crime.
I see suburbs as a big sprawled out mess. Put me in a neighborhood with stores just a walk away, downtown being a 10 minutes away(enough to be able to see the skyline), and a subway system also just a walk away.

Old 03-21-2013, 08:23 AM

11,669 posts, read 17,949,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicano3000X View Post
I see suburbs as a big sprawled out mess. Put me in a neighborhood with stores just a walk away, downtown being a 10 minutes away(enough to be able to see the skyline), and a subway system also just a walk away.
So basically, you want to live your whole life in a 4 sq mile bubble. I tried living in Manhattan for 2 yrs and it sucked. I felt trapped on the island 95% of the time and had no car to venture out to other places. I felt like I was living in a bubble and that was my whole world. It sucked.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.