Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you rather live in an earthquake zone or an area prone to hurricanes?
Earthquake zone 30 45.45%
Hurricane area 36 54.55%
Voters: 66. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2013, 07:45 AM

3,715 posts, read 5,265,255 times

Advertisements

Where would you rather live? earthquake zone or an area prone to hurricanes?

I would rather live in a hurricane area because, you can predict a hurricane, which gives you time to plan and leave if its known that it will be strong and damaging... and earthquakes just happen without any warning, and if you live in a densly populated area it can also cause a lot of fires.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2013, 08:16 AM

644 posts, read 1,429,961 times
I would rather live in a hurricane prone area as well. This is one reason why I am afraid to ever live in California. Hurricanes give you wayyy too much advance warning. Though from what I have read earthquake warnings are becoming more advanced everyday and we will soon be able to predict an earthquake before it happens.

Also survival percentages are WAY higher for hurricanes.

Old 04-09-2013, 08:46 AM

643 posts, read 1,017,685 times
Earthquake zone. As much warning as you have with hurricanes you'd have to live almost exclusively around the gulf and southeast and I just couldn't do that. Plus wouldn't you have to deal with damage every couple of years compared to every few decades? Honestly, I live in a tornado area and would rather move back to where there aren't really any natural disasters... Denver.

Old 04-09-2013, 09:35 AM

10,744 posts, read 23,798,187 times
Not something I would ponder when chosing a geographical location to live. Risk comes with living in any type of environment and I a firm believer that when your number is up, it is up. Perhaps if I were to endure a natural disaster in some community at some point in my life I may have been called upon to help in some way. It's just part of the human experience.

Old 04-09-2013, 09:37 AM

8,977 posts, read 17,277,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caphillsea77 View Post
Not something I would ponder when chosing a geographical location to live. Risk comes with living in any type of environment and I a firm believer that when your number is up, it is up.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

This for me too

Old 04-09-2013, 09:40 AM

1,980 posts, read 3,770,485 times
Earthquake zone for sure. If you are smart about where you live and work, you will likely feel very little direct impact from even major earthquake events. Most of the damage and deaths in earthquakes happen in predictable areas: fill land, non-reinforced masonry structures, etc.

Meanwhile Hurricanes don't just ravage fill land and non-reinforced masonry structures.

Old 04-09-2013, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajjam View Post
Also survival percentages are WAY higher for hurricanes.
No way, not in the USA. The Galveston Hurricane alone killed more than just about every subsequent earthquake event in this country combined.

Old 04-09-2013, 10:11 AM

8,489 posts, read 20,632,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndieIndy View Post
Earthquake zone. As much warning as you have with hurricanes you'd have to live almost exclusively around the gulf and southeast and I just couldn't do that. Plus wouldn't you have to deal with damage every couple of years compared to every few decades? Honestly, I live in a tornado area and would rather move back to where there aren't really any natural disasters... Denver.
Been in Florida over 20 years and never had any damage.

Old 04-09-2013, 10:14 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,034,674 times
makes no never mind to me, I usually wear a helmet and water wings wherever I go.

Old 04-09-2013, 10:17 AM

Another reason to live in an earthquake prone area:

Modern construction in these areas are built to sustain major earthquake events.

If you live in a non-earthquake prone area and an earthquake hits, will your building be safe?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.