Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2013, 02:54 PM

26,404 posts, read 46,555,846 times

Advertisements

St. Louis still isn't a geographically northern city. The climate there is in fact humid subtropical with Summer temperatures that are as hot or nearly as hot as southern cities. Yes, I'm not debating the fact that it is the Midwest with northern cultural influences, but that doesn't change the fact that St. Louis is situated at a low latitude and low elevation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2013, 05:03 PM

2,122 posts, read 3,684,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
St. Louis still isn't a geographically northern city. The climate there is in fact humid subtropical with Summer temperatures that are as hot or nearly as hot as southern cities. Yes, I'm not debating the fact that it is the Midwest with northern cultural influences, but that doesn't change the fact that St. Louis is situated at a low latitude and low elevation.
According to the maps, St. Louis is Humid Continental. Subtropical begins 100 miles south of there.

Old 04-20-2013, 05:05 PM

607 posts, read 1,372,465 times
Quote:
Its climate is very similar with Philadelphia, NYC, Cincinnati, and southern regions of Illinois, which most people would consider Northern geographically (especially NYC). They are all on the far northern fringes of the Humid Subtropical region.

Old 04-20-2013, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GunnerTHB View Post
According to the maps, St. Louis is Humid Continental. Subtropical begins 100 miles south of there.
According to what source? The USDA plant hardiness zones have been shifting dramatically north as well.
I compared the average high temperature of St. Louis so far this month to other cities in the Midwest core and it is about 10-20F warmer overall. That is an ENORMOUS difference.

Edit: Just looked at the average temperatures this month in other places compared to STL. It appears that the average high temperature so far this April in Frankfort, KY and Crossville, TN are fairly similar to St. Louis, MO overall give or take a couple degrees.

Last edited by GraniteStater; 04-20-2013 at 08:48 PM..

Old 04-20-2013, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_J View Post
Its climate is very similar with Philadelphia, NYC, Cincinnati, and southern regions of Illinois, which most people would consider Northern geographically (especially NYC). They are all on the far northern fringes of the Humid Subtropical region.
That would be correct, but Philadelphia and NYC are both further north in latitude than STL. Cincinnati is further north as well. Philadelphia and NYC also have the urban heat island effect meaning that the cities are so large with lots of buildings, concrete, asphalt, etc that they have higher elevated temperatures compared to the outlying regions.

Old 04-20-2013, 11:33 PM

490 posts, read 1,097,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
I don't know who would claim there is a "New England Dialect" anyway. Western New England sounds totally different from Eastern New England. The Western New England dialect is pretty close to standard American, and blends pretty imperceptibly into Upstate New York.

American dialect map.
^ What this guy said. ^

Old 04-20-2013, 11:36 PM

490 posts, read 1,097,619 times
By the way, who cares about Missouri?

Old 04-21-2013, 11:37 AM

2,122 posts, read 3,684,725 times
Quote:
According to what source? The USDA plant hardiness zones have been shifting dramatically north as well.
I compared the average high temperature of St. Louis so far this month to other cities in the Midwest core and it is about 10-20F warmer overall. That is an ENORMOUS difference.

Edit: Just looked at the average temperatures this month in other places compared to STL. It appears that the average high temperature so far this April in Frankfort, KY and Crossville, TN are fairly similar to St. Louis, MO overall give or take a couple degrees.
http://weatherandclimate3232.files.w...temapusa22.png

I haven't paid attention to St. Louis, but here about 100 miles southwest it has been anything but warm this "spring". There was sleet and flurries Friday morning for crying out loud. Not sure if we have broken any record low temperatures, but we have at least gotten very close several times over the last two months.

I can assure you, the bootheel has a much more mild winter than St. Louis, especially in terms of snowfall. I have never seen any form winter weather in April until I came to central Missouri. I believe the average temperature comparisons though since it has been below normal everywhere. Of course St. Louis is going to be warmer than the midwest core, it is significantly farther south than those places. I wouldn't call it a southern climate by any stretch though, except maybe in the summer. (Even then the humidity in the bootheel is worse, probably due to the high water table) In Southeast Missouri, that line is roughly the same line that separates areas that average over and under a foot of snow annually.

Old 04-21-2013, 01:10 PM

Location: Jefferson City 4 days a week, St. Louis 3 days a week
2,709 posts, read 5,093,968 times
Quote:
St. Louis is not a low latitude or low elevation. And it is considered humid continental, not humid subtropical, or right near the meeting of the two of these. Its weather is not all that different from Springfield, IL. And as far as hot summer temperatures, Omaha has temperatures that are almost as hot as St. Louis. Stop trying to make my city Southern. Culturally, demographically, linguistically, and especially post-Civil War historically, St. Louis is much more of a Northern city than anything else. You can't say ST. Louis isn't Northern based on one characteristic.

Old 05-05-2013, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlouisan View Post
St. Louis is not a low latitude or low elevation. And it is considered humid continental, not humid subtropical, or right near the meeting of the two of these. Its weather is not all that different from Springfield, IL. And as far as hot summer temperatures, Omaha has temperatures that are almost as hot as St. Louis. Stop trying to make my city Southern. Culturally, demographically, linguistically, and especially post-Civil War historically, St. Louis is much more of a Northern city than anything else. You can't say ST. Louis isn't Northern based on one characteristic.
I think you would find St. Louis a bit less northern overall once you actually live in a city that is more solidly northern all the way around overall. Just my opinion. I should know as I've lived in many different cities and states.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.