Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2013, 03:40 AM

785 posts, read 1,883,658 times

Advertisements

I can't find the threads now, but in the last week or so I've noticed at least two posts stating that it's harder to live in either then Midwest or Northeast than in the South, with particular respect to cities. Was this just the opinion of those two posters, or is there any actual evidence that this is the case? I'd be inclined to go with the former since surely it must be subjective, but just the way it was worded made me wonder why they'd say it that way. They didn't say 'I think...' or 'For me...', they stated it as if it was some sort of truth. Now, I'm no fan of cold weather for more than a month, but since I can't drive, and even if I could, I'd find it far easier to live in a less sprawling city with decent public transportation, even with the cold. Maybe the cost of living is part of it too?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2013, 04:42 AM

93,438 posts, read 124,120,588 times
It may depend on what they were/are comparing. Cost of living may have something to do with it, but even that depends on the cities being used in a comparison, as that could be about even, give or take.

Old 04-20-2013, 05:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
It may depend on what they were/are comparing. Cost of living may have something to do with it, but even that depends on the cities being used in a comparison, as that could be about even, give or take.
I just got it stuck in my head. It could well have just been their opinion, but I may have heard it said before on here, so I wondered why you'd say that. I'm sure someone specifically said Chicago was a harder place to live than... I forget where, somewhere in the south, maybe Tampa.

Old 04-20-2013, 08:44 AM

42,554 posts, read 87,022,277 times
Define "hard to live".
In the north, you have to defend yourself against the climate. Put on warm clothes before going outdoors, winterizing your house and your car, shoveling snow, planning events according to the weather. In the south, you just wander in and out in the same clothes, and shut the windows if it gets cold outside.

Old 04-20-2013, 09:17 AM

669 posts, read 916,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Define "hard to live".
In the north, you have to defend yourself against the climate. Put on warm clothes before going outdoors, winterizing your house and your car, shoveling snow, planning events according to the weather. In the south, you just wander in and out in the same clothes, and shut the windows if it gets cold outside.
That all sounds more appealing to me than how obnoxious it feels in the burning sun of the south.

Old 04-20-2013, 09:20 AM

3,581 posts, read 3,084,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Define "hard to live".
I am constantly amazed by the number of people who live in the south who are genuinely horrified of "the cold" up north, and who consider snowfall a type of disaster. This includes transplants from up north, not just natives.

I get actual questions like "What do you DO when it snows!" since a typical snow experience where I currently live involves shutting down the entire city at even the threat of a snowflake, and people here cannot imagine a functioning city with snow on the ground. I have also seen people here wear gloves and scarves when the temperatures even drop into the 50s.

I have also seen many people here not dress properly for cool weather when it does arrive, and then complain about the cold.

For these types of people it is "harder" because they can't just go outside in shorts and flip flops at will, and must actually prepare to leave their house. And I am serious because the ability to do that nearly year-round is one of the draws to living where I am now.

For me, it is easy to just throw on a jacket, which I actually prefer to do since I am not particularly a sun/water person, and my wife has to avoid all sun now due to self-inflicted tanning damage as a teenager. I really hate that I can't go outdoors here for more than 30 seconds without needing a hat, sunglasses, sweating thru my clothes, or burning my skin if I am out more than 10 minutes.

Old 04-20-2013, 09:42 AM

607 posts, read 1,374,186 times
Mostly cost of living. Climate wise, winters across the Northeast seem to be getting milder for some reason, though the same can't be said for the Midwest.

Old 04-20-2013, 10:01 AM

15,323 posts, read 23,946,529 times
Yeah the weather thing is kind of funny to me. Like I get it, but it's not as bad as people think. When you look at cities like NYC, Boston, Chicago, etc...there are people from all over the world living there. This includes places that are, no offense to a place like Alabama, is more hot and humid together than it and they have no trouble living in these "cold" places. They adapt. I personally have friends from all over, and yes in the beginning they hate the cold but like everyone else, the human body adapts to it and a year later they're completely fine and not bitching anymore.

Old 04-20-2013, 11:12 AM

Ok ok, it may be a weather thing, but is there any reason at all that I'm missing why someone would particularly call Chicago a 'hard place to live'?

I've found the thread, which was 'Census is saying city population growth is ticking up this decade. I don't believe them.' Here's the line:

'Chicago is still Chicago. There is no reason to believe that the cities population free fall has come to an end. It is a difficult place to live in and that will continue to push people out.'

I don't know why, but calling a place 'a difficult place to live' without making reference to his own experience or preference just seems a bit odd if it really is only his opinion.

To clarify, I'm not down on Chicago, or hoping for there to be something terrible about the place, it's the exact opposite really. To me central Chicago looks really awesome, and I just can't see what would lead someone to say that that way. It's highly probable it's just the climate that's the issue for him, but it just seemed odd to me.

Old 04-20-2013, 12:32 PM

7,529 posts, read 10,266,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketSci View Post
I am constantly amazed by the number of people who live in the south who are genuinely horrified of "the cold" up north
Me too. Posts like this exemplify that:
Quote:
In the north, you have to defend yourself against the climate.
When its cold, I simply put on a coat. I never think of it as a particularly harrowing act of self-defense. I guess the thought of outerwear just flummoxes some folks.

Last edited by Pine to Vine; 04-20-2013 at 12:41 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.