Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2013, 12:25 AM

2,918 posts, read 5,608,532 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
Most Americans aren't that interested in visiting Latin American countries. Americans want to go to Europe (the rich parts), and that's pretty expensive.
is this some sort of joke? the biggest foreign destination (BY FAR) for american tourists is in latin america.

http://tinet.ita.doc.gov/outreachpag...vel_Abroad.pdf
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2013, 12:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketSci View Post
Sorry - the average American family earns $50,000 per year (median income), which represents income before taxes, health costs, and living expenses are deducted. Average deductions for housing and debts are about 43% of income, taxes about 18% (SSI, medicare, income), health insurance and health care about 15%, leaving 24% for food, clothing, savings, etc, or $1000 a month. Probably $150 to $200 a week goes for food (for a family of 4), so that leaves $200 a month for clothing, savings, entertainment. And just hope there are no major illnesses or that there are no major home or car repairs needed.

It is not that Americans don't like traveling overseas, it is just that in light of other expenses many of us do not see it as an option.
the average median family income? lolwut

anyways, since you're referring to married couple families, the median income for such households is $75,335. the average income for such households is $96,132. your $50,000 figure is for households ($51,484) which includes nonfamily households, households without earnings, etc.

Old 04-26-2013, 12:35 AM

1,979 posts, read 3,526,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foadi View Post
is this some sort of joke? the biggest foreign destination (BY FAR) for american tourists is in latin america.

http://tinet.ita.doc.gov/outreachpag...vel_Abroad.pdf
A lot of Americans don't think of Mexico as "latin America." And I don't consider it "abroad," just as I don't consider Canada abroad. When I talk of traveling abroad, I'm talking about to a country that doesn't border us.

Old 04-26-2013, 12:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BellevueNative View Post
A lot of Americans don't think of Mexico as "latin America." And I don't consider it "abroad," just as I don't consider Canada abroad. When I talk of traveling abroad, I'm talking about to a country that doesn't border us.
the americans who post on the illegal immigration forum on this site certainly seem to think that me and other mexicans are from abroad many dont even consider us humans

Old 04-26-2013, 06:37 AM

2,421 posts, read 4,318,327 times
Quote:
the americans who post on the illegal immigration forum on this site certainly seem to think that me and other mexicans are from abroad many dont even consider us humans
Can you just go away?

Old 04-26-2013, 06:39 AM

2,421 posts, read 4,318,327 times
Quote:
most ppl on these types of threads say it is prohibitively expensive. this is clearly false. plenty of americans travelling overseas. just because you cant doesnt mean others cant.

i am currently in the US. have extensive experience with the country. have residency (state ID or DL) in 5 different states. have worked in 32 states and been to almost every state at one point or another.

just checked. out of LAX can fly to chicago on friday for $144 or next week for $120. have flown into ORD numerous times, it is not a particularly expensive place to fly out of, so pls dont make up lies.

if you wanna spend that kind of money thats no ones business but your own.

pls, for such a large country the US is extremely homogenous. once you've seen one city you've seen them all.
A flight from Chicago to LA $144?! That will be the day!

You have worked in 32 states? Haha ok.

The U.S. is homogenous? Haha.

It's obvious what you are up to. Won't say the word but everyone knows what you are.

Old 04-26-2013, 06:43 AM

9,470 posts, read 10,805,387 times
Quote:
wat?

there's like over 20 countries in north america. not that expensive to get own to any of them for a quick trip.

Most of those nations are expensive to get flights to. It all depends on how popular of a destination the nation is. Tourist areas in Mexico and some Carribean Islands are cheaper because there are alot of flights to and from those locations. A less popular destination like Nicaragua or Belize would cost much more to visit for example than would Cancun Mexico. Even somewhere like Mexico is going to cost thousands for most people to visit, and regardless of what you have heard we are not all rich here in the US. The economy is bad and millions are barely making it on low wage jobs. I was fortunate enough when I was younger to visit western Europe and I always thought I would go again. I now know that probably wont happen untill retirement, God willing. There are many places overseas Id love to visit like Columbia, Bolivia, Ecuador, Isreal, Kenya, Australia and China. Will I see any of these places?, not likely unless I win the lottery. Like I said I am lucky to have seen Europe, many Americans dont ever get the opportunity to travel. I think you believe Americans dont travel because they dont want to, but that is not the case. They dont travel because they are in debt and broke. A few may not travel overseas out of fear of terrorism or being mistreated because they are American. These people are in the minority, for the most part they dont travel because of money.

Old 04-26-2013, 07:10 AM

796 posts, read 1,162,344 times
The United States government do not mandate any paid or unpaid days off from work. Each company decides how many paid/unpaid day off they will give for employees. This does not mean that only Americans get 2 weeks off.

Most people working in 9-5 jobs or non-retail sector gets anywhere between 3 - 5 weeks off + paid holidays.

the U.S. is the size of Europe if not bigger. Not all Europeans have been outside of Europe either.

Old 04-26-2013, 08:23 AM

1,069 posts, read 1,047,786 times
Quote:
most ppl on these types of threads say it is prohibitively expensive. this is clearly false. plenty of americans travelling overseas. just because you cant doesnt mean others cant.

i am currently in the US. have extensive experience with the country. have residency (state ID or DL) in 5 different states. have worked in 32 states and been to almost every state at one point or another.

just checked. out of LAX can fly to chicago on friday for $144 or next week for $120. have flown into ORD numerous times, it is not a particularly expensive place to fly out of, so pls dont make up lies.

if you wanna spend that kind of money thats no ones business but your own.

pls, for such a large country the US is extremely homogenous. once you've seen one city you've seen them all.

I agree with every response you made except your final one. U.S cities are incredibly different (I'd say more so than any one country). I mean, sure if you go to Madrid and then hop on over to Istanbul the differences will be huge, but those are different countries. The difference between New Orleans and Seattle is pretty massive as well and it's the same country. Regardless of that, when I go on a vacation I don't go to cities. I go to enjoy nature, because frankly I don't give a crap what man can or has built, mother earth is much more impressive. And in the U.S we have it all; Mountains, oceans, Great Lakes, forests of every kind, swamps, plains, deserts, glaciers, etc.

Old 04-26-2013, 08:26 AM

1,069 posts, read 1,047,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagoist123 View Post
A flight from Chicago to LA $144?! That will be the day!

You have worked in 32 states? Haha ok.

The U.S. is homogenous? Haha.

It's obvious what you are up to. Won't say the word but everyone knows what you are.
Just did a 30 second search on Kayak and I dunno about $144, but I did a search and found one for $208 after taxes. So $500 is definitely wrong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.