Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-02-2007, 04:54 PM

6,558 posts, read 12,051,033 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpope409 View Post
How about everybody hops off of their ---- and stop exploiting Houston and Houstonians? Seriously, the stuff is being blown out of proportion. There are only two Houston vs. _______ on this forum (Portland and Atlanta). Mind you, none of the Houston topics on this forum were started by a Houston member (including this one). Seems to me that certain people insist on riding the city, without even realizing that they're the ones causing all the trouble while I, and others are trying to mind their business. Only defending the city when necessary.

People from Atlanta are upset because they discovered they have competition for the place they thought was theirs.

People from Dallas are upset because there's not a lot of threads about them instead of their "twin", Houston.

People from Portland are confused because they're being compared to a city that is lightyears away and ahead.

People from out of state, in general, put their foot in their mouth as they're finding their ignorant stereotypes to be very untrue.

People from NYC, CHI, and LA have an attitude because someone "has the nerve" to compare Houston to their kind. But here's the truth:

Houston is not the center of the universe (to me).

Houston is not on the same level of New York, Los Angeles, and Chicago; however, it is equally comparable to them in terms of diversity, shopping, food, worldliness, and postmodernness (all four cities dwell in the future like no other). YET, Houston is put back in its place due to its lack of sufficient density, public trans, outstanding architecture, development, and respect for history.

I do not praise the amount of television time other cities receive, that Houston doesn't enjoy, because all that does is feed into a city's pretension, rather than recognizing the facts. (Which is why Houston is still a white and Mexican, homophobic, red city ranch in the minds of a great deal of Americans).

And lastly, Houston really is not that ugly
You left out people from San Diego.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2007, 07:55 PM

20,516 posts, read 33,544,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KerrTown View Post
Austin, home of former Houstonians. They may have offices there but it's headquartered here.

No. Austin, home of former Californians. It's not a surprise that Austin is called the San Francisco of the southwest.

Old 11-02-2007, 09:09 PM

6,202 posts, read 11,452,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
No. Austin, home of former Californians. It's not a surprise that Austin is called the San Francisco of the southwest.
No, I was talking about the migrants before this wave (or plague) of Californians. The capital moved there from Houston more than a century and a half ago.

Old 11-03-2007, 12:35 PM

10,749 posts, read 23,822,981 times
Houston is a humid dump. Bad climate, companies go there because its cheap. It's cheap because its and ugly city with horrible zoning and a low quality of life compared to most cities and its residents are among the fattest in the US, statistics prove that year after year. Not even remotely close to a real city, needs a better downtown, needs to be more pedestrian friendly. Houston is the only city I know where they can build a Taco Bell next to your house without zoning restrictions. It's an urban planning disaster.

Old 11-03-2007, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KerrTown View Post
No, I was talking about the migrants before this wave (or plague) of Californians. The capital moved there from Houston more than a century and a half ago.
Oh whatever. Now you're just grasping for straws and giving to much for Houston. The fact remains is that Austin is much more democratic and liberal than Houston, Dallas, or any other city in Texas and it has little do with Houstonians in this day in age.

Old 11-03-2007, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caphillsea77 View Post
Houston is a humid dump. Bad climate, companies go there because its cheap. It's cheap because its and ugly city with horrible zoning and a low quality of life compared to most cities and its residents are among the fattest in the US, statistics prove that year after year. Not even remotely close to a real city, needs a better downtown, needs to be more pedestrian friendly. Houston is the only city I know where they can build a Taco Bell next to your house without zoning restrictions. It's an urban planning disaster.
1. Do you have proof that Houston is the fattest city in the nation or are you going by some stupid magazine and repeating what you read in a worthless magazine. And what statistics? CDC has Houston as one of the fittest cities in the nation.

2. Bad Climate? Houston may not have a great summer but the pleasant winters and mid-late falls are much more enjoyable to the majority of people in this nation than the brutal and bitter cold of the upper midwest and northeast.

3. It IS a city, period. No matter how much you dislike it.

Old 11-03-2007, 03:31 PM

1,287 posts, read 5,025,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JVTX72 View Post
You are so wrong on the statement. NOT ALL TEXAS CITIES LOOK LIKE HOUSTON!!! Houston just happens to be near the coast, thats why its flat. Most of the coastal region of Texas is somewhat flat. Houston doesnt look anything like Dallas, Austin or San Antonio....you know why? Because Houston isnt Dallas, Austin or San Antonio. Each medium to large Texas city has its own unique character. Most rural towns look the same as they do over most of the USA. Houston , in my opinion has to be the most unique Texas city because of one factor.....NO ZONING!!!! Hey, basically it has made that city. Dallas is unique because it tries to blend different concepts from other cities. Austin is unique because of its people and ...guess what its in the HILL COUNTRY....no flat spraw there. San Antonio is unique because its basically Mexico. So you stating that Houston looks like everywhere else in Texas, WRONG, WRONG, WRONG.
Oh my....did I just defend Houston?
I was not making a point about the distinguishing characteristics between Houston, Dallas, San Antonio and Austin. They are indeed different and unique. I was making a reference to their topographies and they are all mostly flat, sprawl outward, and IMHO are visually unremarkable, hence my use of the term "bland" in my earlier post. There are many other U.S. cities that have more striking topographical beauty by comparison, both manmade and natural. LA, SF, San Diego, Seattle, Portland, D.C., Boston, all come to mind.

Old 11-03-2007, 04:51 PM

5,429 posts, read 14,842,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caphillsea77 View Post
How is nice weather half the year a bad climate?

Statistics (BMI data) prove Houston is not one of the fattest cities, but actually one of the skinniest. The list you are thinking of is from Men's Fitness Magazine, which used such measurements as number of restaurants and gyms as a way to determine how "fat" a population is.

As far as no zoning -- that's where HOAs come in. A home in a neighborhood with an HOA (and most neighborhoods have them) would have rules against that sort of thing.

Once again, a cliche Houston-bashing response from someone who is obviously pretty clueless about the city...

Old 11-03-2007, 04:53 PM

2,703 posts, read 3,417,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealAngelion View Post
I was not making a point about the distinguishing characteristics between Houston, Dallas, San Antonio and Austin. They are indeed different and unique. I was making a reference to their topographies and they are all mostly flat, sprawl outward, and IMHO are visually unremarkable, hence my use of the term "bland" in my earlier post. There are many other U.S. cities that have more striking topographical beauty by comparison, both manmade and natural. LA, SF, San Diego, Seattle, Portland, D.C., Boston, all come to mind.
I would put Austin above D.C. and Boston.

1. Seattle
2. San Fran
3. Portland
4. Los Angeles/San Diego
5. Austin
6. D.C.
7. Boston

Old 11-03-2007, 06:36 PM

Don't know about Boston. But I would put Austin below DC in the topography category. The area sits on the fall line on a big river in between higher hills than Austin. Don't get me wrong. Austin sits in the hill country. But DC sits in an area that is not that far from the Appalachain Mountains.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.