Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2007, 05:26 PM

3,073 posts, read 11,575,953 times

Advertisements

How about everybody hops off of their ---- and stop exploiting Houston and Houstonians? Seriously, the stuff is being blown out of proportion. There are only two Houston vs. _______ on this forum (Portland and Atlanta). Mind you, none of the Houston topics on this forum were started by a Houston member (including this one). Seems to me that certain people insist on riding the city, without even realizing that they're the ones causing all the trouble while I, and others are trying to mind their business. Only defending the city when necessary.

People from Atlanta are upset because they discovered they have competition for the place they thought was theirs.

People from Dallas are upset because there's not a lot of threads about them instead of their "twin", Houston.

People from Portland are confused because they're being compared to a city that is lightyears away and ahead.

People from out of state, in general, put their foot in their mouth as they're finding their ignorant stereotypes to be very untrue.

People from NYC, CHI, and LA have an attitude because someone "has the nerve" to compare Houston to their kind. But here's the truth:

Houston is not the center of the universe (to me).

Houston is not on the same level of New York, Los Angeles, and Chicago; however, it is equally comparable to them in terms of diversity, shopping, food, worldliness, and postmodernness (all four cities dwell in the future like no other). YET, Houston is put back in its place due to its lack of sufficient density, public trans, outstanding architecture, development, and respect for history.

I do not praise the amount of television time other cities receive, that Houston doesn't enjoy, because all that does is feed into a city's pretension, rather than recognizing the facts. (Which is why Houston is still a white and Mexican, homophobic, red city ranch in the minds of a great deal of Americans).

And lastly, Houston really is not that ugly
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2007, 05:28 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,420,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by south-to-west View Post
There seems to be a lot of Houston vs (insert name of any US city here) threads popping up in this forum for some reason. Adding to these discussions are some very proud Houston area residents that defend their city tooth and nail. While their civic pride is cool and commendable, there are quite a few Houstonians who believe that their city is on the same level as Chicago or LA, and that their city is one of the most prominent in the world. I even heard one poster describe Houstonians as feeling that their city is at the "center of the universe".

My question for everyone is what do you think about Houston and its place in this country and the world? How does it measure up to other cities? Are the general perceptions about Houston fair?

Hopefully this thread will nip the whole Houston issue in the bud and prevent a Houston vs. the rest of the world thread.
houston has made some good moves.
i love this town and i love texas. i may end up moving back to defend the alamo if i hear much more good stuff about it.

Old 10-31-2007, 05:36 PM

I'll admit that I tend to be a bit biased. Sometimes very biased. But who isn't about their city.

Besides, all arguments aside, Houston really gets a bad rap and it isn't fair.

Old 10-31-2007, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JVTX72 View Post

Maybe there should be a thread HOUSTON vs HEAVEN............
That was seriously funny, but seeing as how no one here has been to heaven, that would be a pretty difficult comparison.

I can tell you now that there's no place like heaven. Not even close.

Old 10-31-2007, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guerilla View Post
By 2012, Houston will have this:

I may not know what I'm talking about, but that doesn't look all that good to me. It's going to take five years for that? And please don't tell me that all of those lines are going to be on the ground, along streets. If so, that would be really cheap and dull.

Didn't you say something about them approving an underground route?

Old 10-31-2007, 08:28 PM

2,703 posts, read 3,417,385 times
Yeah, that will be in Uptown. Part of the line will be underground. The new expansions include some new things. Parts of the line will be in its own ROW, and some stations will be elevated. Once this is completed, Houston will have about the same about of rail lines as Atlanta.

Old 10-31-2007, 09:03 PM

4,383 posts, read 16,766,060 times
in my honest opinion, houston is not a very global city and doesn't compare with (downtowns at least) prodominent US cities, and not even close to world cities. I've been there and all three prodominent US cities and it just does not compare, but this is just an opinion , and i will probly get bashed for it...

Old 10-31-2007, 09:20 PM

2,703 posts, read 3,417,385 times
You sure you were in Downtown Houston? There are some great photos of Downtown Houston in the Houston subforum. I'll link them here.

Here it is: https://www.city-data.com/forum/houst...os-little.html

Last edited by Guerilla; 10-31-2007 at 09:37 PM..

Old 10-31-2007, 09:59 PM

5,864 posts, read 15,244,428 times
mpope409:
People from Portland are confused because they're being compared to a city that is lightyears away and ahead.

Mpope409, ahead in what way? And have you ever been to Portland? Believe me Portlanders are not confused in any way. As for Houston thank god city leaders are finally realizing that density, walkability, mass transit, and ONE worthwhile city center is important in making a respectable major city. I enjoy myself when I do visit on occassion and even thought about living there. But honestly, it has its problems but its not as bad as people are making it out to be. Just don't think I could live there right now.

Old 10-31-2007, 10:12 PM

3,127 posts, read 7,629,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpope409 View Post
That was seriously funny, but seeing as how no one here has been to heaven, that would be a pretty difficult comparison.

I can tell you now that there's no place like heaven. Not even close.
True no one thats here has been to heaven, and if they have I wanna meet them.
But i am sure someone would try and compare the two anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.