Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-19-2013, 08:06 PM

5 posts, read 43,695 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone knows of any good small towns that have a good size Hispanic/Latin population. I have been searching on the east coast between PA and SC... i know there is a lot in FL but i am looking for all 4 seasons. Doesn't have to be in them areas if you know of an excellent choice elsewhere as long as it falls with winters above 20's and summers under 80's but must have all 4 season (at least some snowfall).

Town size can be anywhere between 2,000 to 16,000... but more would be livable as long as its not a major city. I just want somewhere that my little girls can use Spanish and be able to keep their Cuban and Colombian culture they get from their mothers side. I am Irish and grew up in a small town which we are currently living in and want more culture for my young family... plus its so hard to get good Spanish food here in western pa like yuca or pasteles.

Income wise i make about 55k a year and prefer to find an area with 3/2 homes lower than 200k. Also for homes i would like at least a 2-5 acre lot and max of 25 acres.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated, This site helps out a lot by giving stats but this may give it more of a human touch to the equation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2013, 08:49 PM

93,185 posts, read 123,783,345 times
There are quite a few places in Eastern PA with Hispanic(mostly Puerto Rican) populations/communities. Stroudsburg, East Stroudsburg and Mount Pocono, among others come to mind.

If you don't mind Upstate NY, Geneva, Dunkirk, Newark, Lyons, Margaretville/town of Middletown, Albion and many communities in Orange County, among others would fit.

Old 05-20-2013, 10:07 AM

5,516 posts, read 8,762,507 times
If you're willing to bend on your requirement for lots of land, I would say consider Port Chester, which is about 35 miles north of NYC and has a large, thriving, and diverse Hispanic population. You'd likely be able to find housing in your price range and be able to do day trips to the city for any entertainment and possibly, for work. LIkeswise, West New York NJ (right across the river from Manhattan) has a largish Cuban American population and realtively cheap housing. BUt again, sounds like it might be a bit too urban for what you want.

Old 05-20-2013, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
There are quite a few places in Eastern PA with Hispanic(mostly Puerto Rican) populations/communities. Stroudsburg, East Stroudsburg and Mount Pocono, among others come to mind.

If you don't mind Upstate NY, Geneva, Dunkirk, Newark, Lyons, Margaretville/town of Middletown, Albion and many communities in Orange County, among others would fit.
Another small Upstate NY community that could work is Sodus, where around 8-9% of the village(1800+ people) is Hispanic/Latino and the town/township is around 6-7% Hispanic/Latino out of about 8300 people according to the 2010 census American FactFinder. It is in the Rochester metro and is about midway between Rochester and Syracuse. It also has a relatively high Black population for a small, rural Northeastern town. So, it is a town with diversity too.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 05-20-2013 at 05:48 PM..

Old 05-20-2013, 05:46 PM

5 posts, read 43,695 times
Yeah, my wife has some family in the NYC area... but for us we never liked the fast paced city life. We lived in Miami for a few years since that is where she grew up and its something we both decided is not the life we want for our girls. Now there is a lot of pro's to city life and it does fit a lot of people lifestyles. But we want a slow paced beginning for our girls, work wise i don't need to be by a city which is great and i can move anywhere... down side is it stays the same yearly income no matter where i live (doesn't take COLA into the factor). So i been looking in area's that i can make a dollar go farther, but not looking for the cheapest just average.

I also lived in upstate NY when i was in the ARMY (Fort Drum), and always hated the long winters... always seemed to me like it went winter, winter, summer, fall. But on the eastern side i have no personal experiences to judge with so i really look forward to taking a trip to these places you two recommended to check them out. We have a good plan set out for us with our current home and plan on moving in the next 2-3 years so i got time to explore and see areas in different seasons. The pictures are beautiful of Stroudsburg, and the Hispanic pop % in Port Chester is an amazing 59.4%. So i am very happy with the feedback already.

Only downside is both areas have data showing 6-9 inches of snowfall for about 3-4 months a year which is a lot better than where i live now which is 6-14 inches of snowfall for 4-5 months a year (Hermitage, PA). But like anything its better to visit and get some sight seeing in during different seasons before i start crossing cities off my list. Hopefully some more posters will know of other states a little lower but still with all 4 seasons to compare.

Old 05-20-2013, 06:32 PM

Another possibility is Berea SC, which is a community of almost 15,000 outside of Greenville that is 25% Hispanic/Latino and has one of the highest Colombian percentages in the US(around 2%).

Oakwood GA, a small city of just under 4000, is around 24% Hispanic/Latino and is also around 2% Columbian.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.