Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2013, 06:10 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,515,553 times

Advertisements

Biloxi, MS. It is the fattest state in the country and there are a lot of fat people eating at the buffets there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2013, 06:26 PM

6,083 posts, read 10,704,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
Not every city in a given population tier is equal. Some offer more amenities, sometimes significantly more, than others. What cities do you think pull over their weight given their size? That is, smaller cities that have the amenities of much larger cities. Here are the ones that come in mind to me.

Charlotte - With it's 11 Fortune 500 companies, there is a lot of money in the city and with that, there are amenities you normally wouldn't expect in a metro area of approx 2 million depending on how you define it

New Orleans - With a metro population of only 1.3 million, its cultural significance matches that of some of the nation's greatest cities

Charleston, SC - It's dense, historic downtown easily outshines many of the larger cities in the surrounding area

Des Moines - It's technically on the level of a Jackson MS or Augusta GA, but its white collar employment base has made amenities possible that put it more on the level of Omaha or Tulsa

Austin - It's "cool" factor attracts young people en masse from all across the country, making it a more desirable destination than the much larger cities of Dallas or Houston

Portland - Another city with a "cool" factor that attracts young people en masse. It only has 2.2 million in the metro area but is one of America's favorite cities
I don't really see how these places punch above their weight. They all specialize in one particular thing that can be considered "above weight." They certainly punch above their weight in some way, but not overall.

Charlotte doesn't really offer anything other cities it size don't except for the banking industry.
New Orleans can make an argument I suppose.
Charleston is only really "above weight" in the historic/charm department
Des Moines only really has the skyline imo
Austin doesn't really offer anything cities it's size don't have except for young college students.
Portland is one that I think does well for it's size. Great public transit, food scene, and downtown.

Old 06-22-2013, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndieIndy View Post
Where outside of food did you read anything that had to do with cajun "culture" in that post?
New Orleans doesn't really do cajun food, I mean there are a few here and there, but overall it's creole. Cajun stuff is more over in Lafayette and southern bayou areas. Not trying to be anal as I know people confuse them, but anybody from New Orleans will tell you the same thing.

Old 06-23-2013, 07:28 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,977,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
New Orleans doesn't really do cajun food, I mean there are a few here and there, but overall it's creole. Cajun stuff is more over in Lafayette and southern bayou areas. Not trying to be anal as I know people confuse them, but anybody from New Orleans will tell you the same thing.
There is a denser concentration of Cajun culture in other parts of Louisiana, but I bet there is no other city in the world that has more Cajuns (sheer numbers) than New Orleans. Although Baton Rouge and Houston would both be pretty hign.

The population of Lafayette is 120,000, and 11% claim to speak French, but the number who are actually of Cajun ancestry is unknown. I doubt if it is half, because most of the city's recent growth has been people from outside Acadiana. Meanwhile, many Cajuns, like everyone else, have move to the nearest available big city, New Orleans. In the good old days, one could estimate that by looking in a paper phone book, but that is not impossible with the internet, where idle non-directed browsing cannot be done.

Last edited by jtur88; 06-23-2013 at 07:43 AM..

Old 06-23-2013, 10:24 AM

16,508 posts, read 26,312,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndieIndy View Post
Where outside of food did you read anything that had to do with cajun "culture" in that post?
Cajun food comes with Cajun culture.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
There is a denser concentration of Cajun culture in other parts of Louisiana, but I bet there is no other city in the world that has more Cajuns (sheer numbers) than New Orleans. Although Baton Rouge and Houston would both be pretty hign.

The population of Lafayette is 120,000, and 11% claim to speak French, but the number who are actually of Cajun ancestry is unknown. I doubt if it is half, because most of the city's recent growth has been people from outside Acadiana. Meanwhile, many Cajuns, like everyone else, have move to the nearest available big city, New Orleans. In the good old days, one could estimate that by looking in a paper phone book, but that is not impossible with the internet, where idle non-directed browsing cannot be done.
New Orleans proper doesn't have more Cajuns than Lafayette proper. Cajuns did not travel to New Orleans, as swamps and bayous made travel difficult. People from Louisiana just began moving to New Orleans, before that it was strictly Houston, Dallas, and Atlanta.
New Orleans has very little Cajun culture.

Old 06-23-2013, 01:28 PM

644 posts, read 1,019,055 times
Ive been reading up on the differences between the two, while there is a slight difference in cooking, I definitely wouldnt be able to tell the two apart. Yeah, youre right grapico I think most people (me included) are ignorant to the differences and use the words cajun and crole interchangeably.

Old 06-23-2013, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post

My friends in New ORleans say you have to go outside New Orleans to get authentic cajun food.

Old 06-23-2013, 07:14 PM

846 posts, read 1,798,019 times
Charleston is a good choice. Myrtle Beach is a metro of less than 300,000 during the winter, but on a busy summer weekend the area probably at least doubles in population. It had the largest airport in SC for several years until Charleston passed it recently, and it is one of the best golf destinations in the world.

Huntsville also has a lot of national influence with all the NASA stuff there even though less than 450,000 live there.

Old 06-24-2013, 09:37 AM

12,059 posts, read 13,890,870 times
I guess if you include smaller cities I would include:
Sturgis, SD - famous Sturgis Rally put this little cowtown on the map
Key West, FL - so many authors and books written in this place, so much history and familiarity, yet this is a small town

The city with the most punch and smallest population in the world is Timbuctu. It's just a small town in the desert of Mali but everyone has images of some Cairo like city with lots of history.

Old 06-24-2013, 09:56 AM

3,877 posts, read 3,896,280 times
Orlando Fl and Orange County, Fl There is only 1.2 million people, but is the most visited city/county in America over 57 million people visited last year, and great shopping for its size.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.