Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2013, 11:50 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,147,443 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Min-Chi-Cbus View Post
You've been to the St. Paul Cathedral?
Yes, I have. St. Paul is pretty amazing in itself. I just think the National Cathedral is a little more impressive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2013, 02:03 PM

4,035 posts, read 10,294,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Having visited several on this list and recently having visited DC, I cannot imagine how the National Cathedral wouldn't be at the very top of the list. All listed are beautiful and transcendent in their own way. But the National Cathedral is simply something apart from the rest.
National Cathedral is a much more authentic reproduction of a medieval cathedral with a crossing, rood screen, Quire, high altar, etc., which is what gives it such austere grandeur.

Saint Patrick’s Cathedral is more of a 19th century riff on gothic. It’s more open because there is no Quire and the altar is brought forward, but it has the effect of feeling more like an unusually large and elaborate parish church.

If you’re accustomed to real European cathedrals, Saint Patrick’s feels oddly out of balance.

Old 07-12-2013, 05:15 PM

1,000 posts, read 1,863,854 times
I don't think that the photos shown earlier give the Cathedral of St. Paul (which is also called the National Shrine to the Apostle Paul, as an interesting fact) enough credit. Also, I disagree with what was said earlier about the interior being nothing special. I don't necessarily think that it is the best cathedral in the country, but it is certainly in the top 5. Not to mention, it is one of the top 5 largest (by volume) cathedrals in the U.S. and it is the 3rd tallest cathedral in the U.S. Most of the other cathedrals reach their height through towers, so the main ceiling is not as high. One of the things that makes the inside of St. Paul's cathedral so awe-inspiring when you walk in is that, since the cathedral reaches its heing through the main dome, its main ceiling is also part of the highest point of the cathedral. Therefore, the dome towers over 250 feet above you. Because of that, the interior isn't going to look like the gothic cathedrals since it doesn't have a ribbed, vaulted ceiling and structure, but instead gives more of a open, spacious feeling with massive stone and golden arches, gilded and detailed domes, murals, paintings, and windows. It is very different from other cathedrals because the inside is just so openly massive, yet still covered in detail. The cathedral also is on top of a hill overlooking downtown, and with its distinct shape it looks very cool in the distance and at night, not to mention from the ground.

Here are some more pictures that do it more justice.
http://roylivinglifenow.files.wordpr...fsaintpaul.jpg
Capture Minnesota Photo Contest - Cathedral of Saint Paul Interior by Jill & Chuck Marshall
All sizes | St Paul, MN Cathedral of St Paul altar | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
St. Paul Cathedral - Interior Dome | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
http://www.city-data.com/articles/Ca...t-Paul-MN.html
http://www.city-data.com/picfilesv/picv8726.php
North Rose Window, Cathedral of St. Paul (Minnesota) photo - Simon Chandler photos at pbase.com
Flickr: The Cathedral of Saint Paul, Saint Paul, Minnesota Pool (scroll down on this one)
All sizes | Cathedral of Saint Paul, 19 Feb 2009 (2) | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
All sizes | 20080930_1074 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
All sizes | perfect blue sky | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
All sizes | St. Paul, MN | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
The Cathedral of St. Paul, St. Paul Mn. | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
http://razipix.files.wordpress.com/2...r-panorama.jpg

My favorite picture of the inside:
St. Paul's Cathedral , St. Paul MN - Mr. Bill Photography

Old 07-12-2013, 09:20 PM

5,993 posts, read 10,187,810 times
Can you believe that some people call these churches their place of worship?! They seem more like shrines than actual churches.

Old 07-12-2013, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Can you believe that some people call these churches their place of worship?! They seem more like shrines than actual churches.
I did compline at the National Cathedral recently. Just a moving experience.

Old 07-13-2013, 01:09 PM

1,016 posts, read 2,978,552 times
Quote:
Well it all depends on how you were raised. A lot of the cathedrals/churches posted are Catholic and a lot of Catholic church interiors look like that. Nothing wrong with it that's just the environment some people feel comfortable worshiping in. Lively Stone at the bottom of page 3 is a beautiful cathedral and boy do those folks know how to praise the Lord. It's one of those pentecostal churches. It's a pretty popular well known church in St. Louis.....check it out:

Lively Stone Church of God Apostolic Faith St. Louis, MO - YouTube

Old 07-13-2013, 02:02 PM

88,560 posts, read 84,755,078 times
Quote:
I did compline at the National Cathedral recently. Just a moving experience.
I would like to experience that. Fortunately, DC is only a four-hour drive for me, so I will make plans to get there.

Old 07-13-2013, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I would like to experience that. Fortunately, DC is only a four-hour drive for me, so I will make plans to get there.
Heck, you're in New York, right? AmTrak's a short hop.

Old 07-13-2013, 04:34 PM

27,557 posts, read 28,652,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
The National Cathedral's grandeur and importance are probably even greater than its beauty.

Several United States Presidents have had their funeral or memorial services performed there.

Old 07-13-2013, 10:02 PM

88,560 posts, read 84,755,078 times
Quote:
Heck, you're in New York, right? AmTrak's a short hop.
Jersey. And I've taken Amtrak down, but I also drive down once in a while to visit a friend in Arlington. I've been to DC several times and have seen a lot of the memorials and museums, but not the Cathedral. Maybe next trip.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.