Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2017, 08:42 AM

7 posts, read 5,509 times

Advertisements

I am considering those three cities for relocation. White guy 60's single. Looking at singles scene (hetero),
teaching hospitals quality, ease of finding doctors. Initially I will be w/out a car so bus or public transport is important. If San Diego I will be in the East of the city as far as 20miles, if El Paso, probably close to City itself, if Atlanta suburbs within 20 miles of the City-looking at North of Atlanta now. Any helpful info much appreciated (flame bait ignored).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2017, 10:26 AM

27,232 posts, read 43,956,177 times
I would say Atlanta. You get a decent cost of living, a change of seasons yet not extreme, pretty good transit and one of the top teaching hospitals with Emory University Hospital.

Old 02-10-2017, 02:54 PM

3,763 posts, read 6,712,828 times
San Diego is going to be the most expensive, but probably has the best single environment for your age group. If you are looking for something cheaper and more "weather" I'd go to Atlanta. El Paso is a very distant third, doesn't appeal to me but to each their own.

Old 02-10-2017, 03:44 PM

686 posts, read 622,836 times
Just out of curiosity, what put El Paso on the radar?

Old 02-10-2017, 04:18 PM
BMI

7,454 posts, read 7,277,425 times
I personally would choose El Paso, housing is cheaper, people are friendlier,
the city is very safe, and the weather is very good.

Old 02-11-2017, 12:16 AM

Default El Pason is friendly, good weather

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMI View Post
I personally would choose El Paso, housing is cheaper, people are friendlier,
the city is very safe, and the weather is very good.
Main problem there will probably be reverse discrimination and lack of Spanish. But I agree with your other characteristics.

Old 02-11-2017, 12:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattywo85 View Post
San Diego is going to be the most expensive, but probably has the best single environment for your age group. If you are looking for something cheaper and more "weather" I'd go to Atlanta. El Paso is a very distant third, doesn't appeal to me but to each their own.
Why you think it would be best for singles my age? San Diego has one of the most lopsided male to female ratios of U.S. cities. Numbers are not in your favor there. On the other hand El Paso singles scene I would guess is mostly single moms, younger and with one or more children. That's ok, but again I don't speak Spanish. On the other hand the places I can afford near S.D. are probably majority Mexican, just east of the City.

Old 02-11-2017, 12:22 AM

Default Well...

Quote:
Originally Posted by a person View Post
Just out of curiosity, what put El Paso on the radar?
Close to the border for nightlife, warm climate, low rental prices.

Old 02-11-2017, 02:54 AM

4,696 posts, read 5,824,752 times
You don't need to know Spanish in El Paso. I'm sure it helps but you can get by without it. It's been over 20 Years, but I hit the clubs there and had the most fun of any city I have been to. The reason is people were friendly to me. I wasn't invisible like I was most everywhere else. I would pick El Paso. San Diego is nice but too expensive. Atlanta wouldn't appeal to me.

Old 02-11-2017, 11:26 AM

3,282 posts, read 3,795,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meeklygolitely View Post
Main problem there will probably be reverse discrimination and lack of Spanish. But I agree with your other characteristics.
Most of the people I know from El Paso are White, I don't see why you would have a problem there.

San Diego is expensive. Out east is more of a desert environment, still a little more affordable, with a mix of White, Black, Hispanic and a huge Iraqui population.

South Bay near the border is also relatively affordable, it has nice, safe areas, particularly in Chula Vista. There is a large Mexican population but also Whites, Filipinos, Blacks and other.

Last edited by rosa surf; 02-11-2017 at 11:58 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.