Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2015, 07:45 PM

844 posts, read 1,443,629 times

Advertisements

For those of us who are very analytical and have traveled. Have you noticed that people from cities (my definition of cities is places that have a population of 200k or more) care more about their appearance then from small populated areas. 100k-199k is a gray area.

If you go to cities with a low amount of people, generally the women are very fat and the men dirty. I've spent time in cities where people wore the same clothes for a week, or wore their work uniform like it was regular clothes.

Has anybody else noticed this?

Last edited by TAZORAC; 06-11-2015 at 07:57 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2015, 07:50 PM

447 posts, read 496,329 times
Cities under 200k or metros under 200k?

Old 06-11-2015, 07:54 PM

1,743 posts, read 1,329,109 times
I think there are attractive and dirty people anywhere you go. Sometimes I think TV and movies create those stereotypes that everyone that lives in the big city is a model and everyone from small towns are white trash and rednecks.

EDIT: I didn't realize the question asked by the thread title, though. I think people from cities will put more of an effort into looking nice because there are more people that will see you and ridicule you while there aren't as many people to impress in small towns.

Old 06-12-2015, 10:06 AM

3,453 posts, read 4,532,210 times
Depends on the cities. Where I grew up (Fish Creek WI, unincorporated) a lot of care was taken in terms of appearance. However, in Rockford IL (for example) with a metro population around 350,000, there is much less attention given than Fish Creek. Overall? Probably. But nowhere near a slam dunk. Much has to do with $$$.

Old 06-12-2015, 10:23 PM

644 posts, read 1,019,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westernwilly View Post
Cities under 200k or metros under 200k?
Seriously? Is the answer really going to make this question any less ridiculous?

Old 06-13-2015, 06:17 AM

4,861 posts, read 9,311,760 times
Besides the fact that this question is totally offensive to anyone who is from, or lives in a smaller town (me, for one), I think it has to do with the fact that people in smaller towns/the country have different lifestyles and priorities than people in large ciites.

Most small town/country people live in an area where they grew up and have family roots, as opposed to dwellers of large cities that are home to large number of transplants who moved there for career reasons and therefore are more set on making an impression, meeting new people, etc.

In the town where I grew up and the one where I live now (both under 8,000 people and surrounded by farmland), we are more about hanging out with family or people that we have known forever, so we don't need to impress anyone, they already love us. I don't personally know anyone who is dirty, and the vast majority of people, both men and women, are not truly "fat", maybe a few lbs. over the ideal, but out here, that's not what life is all about, seeing how thin we can look in designer clothes while we walk down the avenue. It's about football games, family reunions, church potlucks, and other activities where we would stick out like a sore thumb if we tried too hard to outclass or outdress everyone else.

Personally, give me the warmth and depth of small town life and being surrounded by people who don't judge me by if my jeans aren't this year's model or I've gained five pounds. Being accepted for being me is part of what I think gives life meaning. I would hate to live somewhere where I am judged by my appearance everywhere I go. Life's too short for that!

Old 06-13-2015, 09:36 AM

3,278 posts, read 5,392,303 times
Yes, as a general trend. But it also depends on the region and other factors.

Old 06-13-2015, 05:20 PM

447 posts, read 496,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndieIndy View Post
Seriously? Is the answer really going to make this question any less ridiculous?
Actually, I do know of some small cities with small metros where most of the population is just working class people that care very little about their appearances.
They give higher priorities to other things. Things that many white collar, urbanites not only not care about, but often avoid like the plague.

Old 06-13-2015, 06:18 PM

644 posts, read 1,019,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westernwilly View Post
Actually, I do know of some small cities with small metros where most of the population is just working class people that care very little about their appearances.
They give higher priorities to other things. Things that many white collar, urbanites not only not care about, but often avoid like the plague.
I absolutely do not believe this.

I understand what you're saying, but I don't believe that you know people that fall into these stereotypes. I think you are full of bs.

Old 06-15-2015, 09:09 AM

14,353 posts, read 17,034,992 times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yId5OH40J18
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.