Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-05-2013, 09:41 AM

137 posts, read 278,879 times

Advertisements

What I most want is a community that offers a ton of classes, dances, lunches, walks, outings for the 50 + crowd. But also each "class" affordable. Having a community center that specializes in this, and maybe has it's own separate health club, with equipment and computers for the 50+. I'm not against younger people, but it is gonna be easier for me to make friends with an older crowd, whose children are grown, and maybe don't work anymore. Somewhere that isn't spread way out, concentrated area to live, a smaller city or just the right neck of the city woods perhaps or a smaller town.

I was looking for this plus climate plus natural beauty so I think I was asking for too much. Now priority is my ability to create community and decent weather.

I am 50 years old. I have been mostly isolated with Chronic Fatigue Syndrome. Now I am ready to fill my life with people and easy activities.

My ideal place for this is Dunedin FL. Yet it is a little expensive for rent and electricity and a bit of a stretch. The community center offers so much for so little money, but it is costly to live there. And 7 months of 90 and humidity is rough (I did live in SW Florida for 10 years)

Please help me find an alternate place in these states (chosen for not too harsh of a climate)
North Carolina, South Carolina, Georgia, Tennessee, Alabama etc, not harsh climates, on the warm side, maybe parts of Texas too.

Currently living in Tulsa OK, will move this coming year.

Last edited by TULSA2ABQ; 11-05-2013 at 09:51 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2013, 10:38 AM

27,224 posts, read 43,942,133 times
Check out Pine Mountain, Georgia

Welcome to Pine Mountain, Georgia |*Pine Mountain

Old 11-05-2013, 02:31 PM

11,523 posts, read 14,659,169 times
You don't mention the West, but wow the Sun Cities in Arizona really match your criteria! Sun City (older), Sun City West (newer) and Sun City Grande (newer) all fit the bill. You do have HOA fees, but these communities are all for seniors, over 50-55 depending on community. Lots of rec centers and active seniors. Rec centers have classes, gyms, state of the art everything, pools, etc., included in your yearly HOA fee.
Anyways, good luck to you!

Old 11-05-2013, 07:01 PM

6,311 posts, read 6,819,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanny Goat View Post
You don't mention the West, but wow the Sun Cities in Arizona really match your criteria! Sun City (older), Sun City West (newer) and Sun City Grande (newer) all fit the bill. You do have HOA fees, but these communities are all for seniors, over 50-55 depending on community. Lots of rec centers and active seniors. Rec centers have classes, gyms, state of the art everything, pools, etc., included in your yearly HOA fee.
Anyways, good luck to you!
I used to live right by Sun City. Great place for retirees and is very affordable. I would recommend this as well but I'm not too sure if you would like the heat that we have here or not.

Old 11-06-2013, 05:28 AM

137 posts, read 278,879 times
Thank you.

The thing is I have to rent. Isn't Sun City(s) to purchase? Are those 3 all by Phoenix? I don't see myself in that kind of heat every day for months. But I can see how it does fit the bill of easy community.

Pine Mountain GA is lovely. It even has a community center. As it is only population 1300 I've never lived in such a tiny place. I love that it has that Callaway Gardens and Wild Animal Safari park. So is it a tourist small town? If you live near there or been there can you tell me more? I am attracted to it. But I don't understand it. It has a 1,300 population but has a Catholic Church ( which I'd need).

Thank you
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.