Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2013, 07:29 PM

3,969 posts, read 13,668,019 times

Advertisements

Houston's Astrodome, nicknamed the 8th wonder of the world when built in 1965, is on the ballot tonight. The former home of MLB's Houston Astros, and NFL's Houston Oilers, is being voted on as a new convention center. Most believe if this fails, the aging stadium will be torn down. As of this hour, (almost 9pm central), the measure is failing and the first major Dome may be doomed.

These days, this type of domed multi-purpose stadiums are out of style. The Kingdome in Seattle lasted only 25 years or so before it was imploded. The Humphry Minneapolis Dome is perhaps the next to go, with the Vikings working on a new stadium, however current replacement plans call for an enclosed stadium with lots of windows. There are others that may be near extinction. Atlanta wants to get out of the Georgia Dome, even though it is relatively new. The Tampa Bay baseball dome is generally regarded as one of the worst. Indy and Detroit's Pontiac Silverdome are also not in service.

Retractable roof is a different animal, and this seems to be the trend.

Last edited by pw72; 11-05-2013 at 07:48 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2013, 07:36 PM

1,704 posts, read 3,444,654 times
The Metrodome is definitely coming down, demolition is scheduled for February 2014.

Old 11-05-2013, 07:37 PM

1,901 posts, read 3,087,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pw72 View Post
Houston's Astrodome, nicknamed the 8th wonder of the world when built in 1965, is on the ballot tonight. The former home of MLB's Houston Astros, and NFL's Houston Oilers, is being voted on as a new convention center. Most believe if this fails, the aging stadium will be torn down. As of this hour, (8pm central), the measure is failing and the first major Dome may be doomed.

These days, this type of domed multi-purpose stadiums are out of style. The Kingdome in Seattle lasted only 25 years or so before it was imploded. The Humphry Minneapolis Dome is perhaps the next to go, with the Vikings working on a new stadium, however current replacement plans call for an enclosed stadium with lots of windows. Their are others that may be near extinction. Atlanta wants to get out of the Georgia Dome, even though it is relatively new. The Tampa Bay baseball dome is generally regarded as one of the worst. Retractable roof is a different animal, and this seems to be the trend.
Hmm...interesting stuff. With the Superdome being such an iconic symbol of our city, I doubt it will ever happen here. If nothing else, Mercedes will make sure of that

Old 11-05-2013, 07:58 PM

93,390 posts, read 124,009,048 times
Syracuse's Carrier Dome may be the exception due to the major support the Syracuse University Men's Basketball and Football(when they are good) get. It is also an on campus stadium. With that said, there has been talks(nothing serious) about its smaller seating capacity for football in comparison to other major programs. I don't think anything will happen anytime soon, but I do wonder as to how long will it be around. Like it was mentioned about the Superdome, it is a symbol of the city and signature landmark in the city's skyline.

Old 11-05-2013, 08:01 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,201,963 times
Domed stadiums aren't doomed. Multi-purpose stadiums are doomed. Doesn't matter whether they're domed or outdoor.

Old 11-05-2013, 08:33 PM

3,969 posts, read 13,668,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Domed stadiums aren't doomed. Multi-purpose stadiums are doomed. Doesn't matter whether they're domed or outdoor.
Good point, as there are some completely enclosed stadiums being developed right now. My point, though, is the original prototype Domed Stadium is dead, and the electorate in Houston has no love lost for the Astrodome.

Old 11-05-2013, 08:47 PM

4,865 posts, read 4,181,366 times
I used to hate going into the Silverdome. It was filthy, run down, nothing going on inside and it is in a horrible location. Despite it being in a rougher area, I remember once parking across the highway where you have to take a walkway over the road and seeing a deer. That poor deer was so out of place.

The Silverdome was the only dome I've ever been in. I assume they all have that weird 'sucks you in' thing going on? I hated the vacuum effect in Detroit.

Old 11-05-2013, 10:25 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,064,596 times
the new Minneapolis stadium that will house the Vikings, while attaining the closest seat to field dimension in the NFL, will also be able to be configured for baseball to accommodate the hundreds of games played each spring by high school and college teams from as far away as Nebraska.

the right field wall will be 285 ft from home and 26 ft high.
by comparison, Fenway's Green Monster is 310 ft from home and 37 ft high.

MinnesotaStadiumBaseball

baseball configuration dimensions

Old 11-05-2013, 10:28 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,319,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilly Gentilly View Post
Hmm...interesting stuff. With the Superdome being such an iconic symbol of our city, I doubt it will ever happen here. If nothing else, Mercedes will make sure of that
If they even consider it, I'm sure there would be mass protests and I'd be there chained to the building. The dome is my favorite building in the world.

Old 11-06-2013, 10:39 AM

11,108 posts, read 23,892,595 times
Not so fast!

DC leader proposes 'Superdome' stadium complex on grounds of RFK - DC News FOX 5 DC WTTG
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.