Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2007, 01:38 PM

29 posts, read 115,072 times

Advertisements

Hi all. have lived in houston area for 15 years from long island and wife and i would like to move in the next couple of years. it is just so darn hot here and we really have come to miss the different seasons of the year. houston is a really good place other wise and the cost of housing here is really low. my wife likes to be by some form of water, either atlantic or pacific ocean or the gulf which we live close to now. she is in the healthcare field and i work for a large delivery company which is in every state so getting/transferring a job should not be a problem. any suggestions? thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2007, 02:02 PM

4,105 posts, read 8,290,293 times
Quite a loaded question... If you are looking for a change of seasons I would steer clear of the West Coast as the changes are not as extreme there. Northeast would probably best if you want to be near an ocean and have a change in seasons.

Old 06-12-2007, 03:25 PM

2,703 posts, read 3,418,232 times
Different seasons? Houston doesn't really have a winter, but the leaves change colors and fall of the trees in the Fall, and the grow back around mid-March. The summer is hot, but it doesn't feel to bad to me. The humidity is good for your skin.

Old 06-12-2007, 03:40 PM

6,202 posts, read 11,452,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 51gator50 View Post
Hi all. have lived in houston area for 15 years from long island and wife and i would like to move in the next couple of years. it is just so darn hot here and we really have come to miss the different seasons of the year. houston is a really good place other wise and the cost of housing here is really low. my wife likes to be by some form of water, either atlantic or pacific ocean or the gulf which we live close to now. she is in the healthcare field and i work for a large delivery company which is in every state so getting/transferring a job should not be a problem. any suggestions? thanks.
I hope you like Long Island. From the LI forum, I read that it is overcrowded, high property taxes, lack of housing, illegal apartments, bad driving (road rage), and horrible traffic. Oh wait, that's what I wished Houston was like. I think I'll move up there.

Old 06-12-2007, 06:08 PM

i was born and raised on long island and could not wait to get out of there. the price of houses there is crazy and they are mostly old homes in need of lots of work. here in houston you can get a brand new house for a great price. houston has one season and that is summer with a few weeks of spring and fall and a couple of days of winter mixed in along the way. i would not move back to long island for the reasons that kerrtown has mentioned.

Old 06-12-2007, 06:23 PM

3,073 posts, read 11,575,953 times
Quote:
i was born and raised on long island and could not wait to get out of there. the price of houses there is crazy and they are mostly old homes in need of lots of work. here in houston you can get a brand new house for a great price. houston has one season and that is summer with a few weeks of spring and fall and a couple of days of winter mixed in along the way. i would not move back to long island for the reasons that kerrtown has mentioned.
What about Chicago?

Old 06-12-2007, 06:31 PM

my family and i were in chicago over the weekend and really liked it. the problem with having moved to houston is that the housing market is such a good value that most places like chicago are alot more expensive when looking at homes. plus my wife has had to go to madison,wi last winter and she said that it was to cold there for her and i heard that chicago has a similar winter to madison since they are like a 160 miles away from each other. chicago was a cool city when compared to houston and not just in temperature!

Old 06-12-2007, 06:33 PM

117 posts, read 518,277 times
Louisville, Kentucky - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 06-12-2007, 06:38 PM

3,073 posts, read 11,575,953 times
Quote:
chicago was a cool city when compared to houston and not just in temperature!
Well, I'll always think that they're equally cool. I can't think of anything else that you might like except for maybe D.C.

Old 06-12-2007, 06:58 PM

1,008 posts, read 4,026,278 times
I would urge you to take a closer look at Chicago. Seriously, you can find a decent home at an affordable price. Chicago's prices have not skyrocketed like they have in CA, NY and Seattle. You'll pay more than Houston but it's still moderate. What are you willing to spend? $350-400k should get you a decent home. CA=$800k Chicago is a GREAT CITY to live in. No sprawl, excellent transit (round the clock), jobs, entertainment, culture, activities for the family, parks, library, and 4 solid seasons.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.