Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2013, 03:28 AM

6,413 posts, read 12,142,138 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary1974 View Post
5) Weather- NO endless gloom like Portland- that is top priority. I am open to some snow, but don't want a freezing climate- average high 30+ will work. Summer at least 75-80 (northern CA coast, like Eureka/Arcata would not work), but nothing 100+ (except the occasional day).
I don't think that word means what you think it means.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2013, 12:50 PM

256 posts, read 541,261 times
I think a place you can consider is Sparks Nevada. It is at 90k people and is is beautiful and near Reno =)

Old 11-27-2013, 03:43 PM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,852 posts, read 10,454,406 times
Agreed that Chico would fill most of your criteria, although dunno where you get the "ton of rainfall in the winter" part (BTW, I've lived in the the PNW, and that is what a "ton of rainfall" looks like… lol)?! Yes, the wintertime is obviously damper than during the rest of the year, but it's mostly concentrated in just 3 or 4 months tops (aprox. 66 days actually, and <27" total annual precipitation), with the rest of the time being pretty sunny (aprox. 250 sunny days a year)! But the part I most appreciate compared to places like the PNW is that even when it does get rainy in Chico, it's still usually only for a day or two, which is then interrupted by at least a few days of blue skies and sunshine again (compared to the relentless "gray" overcast often found elsewhere).

Although on the downside, there does tend to be a glut of over-educated folks in the meager local job market, along with lots of "healers" of one sort or another, mostly because so many of the graduates from Chico State wind up getting attached to living in such a "comfy" place!

Old 11-28-2013, 05:59 AM

27,196 posts, read 43,896,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary1974 View Post
Hi, I see tons of posts like this and have read through many of them, but everyone's criteria is somewhat different. I am originally from IL, currently in Portland, OR (am here for school) and am looking to relocate somewhere in the western US. Here is my criteria:

1) Population- 20-200K. If it is only 20K, there needs to be a town around 75K or more nearby. If it is 200K, it needs to have access to country, very nearby (Boise would be a good example).
2) Little/no traffic
3) Left leaning would be nice but isn't a necessity
4) Open to natural/alternative/integrative medicine- this is my profession. The market cannot already be "saturated" though too (but I have access to these stats). Typically if there is a health food store or food co-op, the area is open to it.
5) Weather- NO endless gloom like Portland- that is top priority. I am open to some snow, but don't want a freezing climate- average high 30+ will work. Summer at least 75-80 (northern CA coast, like Eureka/Arcata would not work), but nothing 100+ (except the occasional day).
6) Great access to outdoors! Ocean within 2-3 hrs. is a huge plus, mountains (or very close access) are a must
7) Cost of living- I am not sure if this is really a factor. We own a fifth wheel trailer that we can get by with for a couple years while the business gets established. After that, we should be able to afford the area...assuming it isn't a place only Hollywood stars live.

I am open to bending my criteria as needed.

I have visited these areas as options:
Boise, ID- it is a bit too dry for my tastes, but I am not crossing it off yet. Mountains/forest are immediately to the north.
Moscow, ID- I LOVED this town, but the gloom is probably a real issue for me. I still haven't completely crossed it off.

These areas I have not visited but am reading about:
Chico, CA
Windsor/Napa/wine country- not sure about the traffic situation, among other things
Truckee, CA- the low temps at night are really cold!
Flagstaff, AZ- lots of natural medicine already here though (I also have family in Phoenix area, which is the big draw for me!)
Colorado- but have only visited Boulder for a quick trip. It is pretty dry, although there seem to be mountain towns that are green, but the population in them seems so tiny and isolated. Denver suburbs might work, like Golden, Longmont (?). I am open to suggestions.

Any other ideas? I haven't researched southern CA much at all, and I might have missed some areas in northern CA. I am thinking the south area might be dry unless it is very near the coast.

I am not at all interested in Bend, OR.

I am just not familiar with this area of the country and would LOVE help with places that I should explore and narrowing down places to actually visit.

Thanks! This is a wonderful forum!
If the Denver area is an option, you might want to consider Evergreen. I think it might fit quite nicely.

Downtown Evergreen :: Home

Old 12-18-2013, 10:16 AM

1 posts, read 822 times
I love the western slope of Colorado, and depending on whats more important, I choose to live in Gunnison. We are in the middle of the mountains, surrounded by 3 mt ranges, Elks to the North, Sawatch to the East, San Juans to the South, and water escapes our basin via the Black Canyon. Black Canyon has the highest cliff- Painted Wall at 2,250 ft from water to rim. Ryan

Old 12-18-2013, 10:29 AM

47 posts, read 64,122 times
If it wasnt too hot for your liking I would suggest Boulder City NV. Easy access to Las Vegas, Lake Mead in your backyard practically, quick drive to Hoover Dam and the Colorado River. Easy day trip to Lake Havasu in Arizona. You could get to San Diego and its beaches fairly easily. Plenty of snow in the nearby mountains to cool off in. The only downsides are the heat which you could easily get relief from in any of the places I mentioned, and its not a College Town though UNLV is not far at all.

Old 12-18-2013, 11:18 AM

1,772 posts, read 3,518,052 times
Mary,
If you haven't found your perfect place yet, I might suggest Petaluma, California (Population 59,000). It's 25 minutes from Napa, 30 minutes from the ocean, an hour from downtown San Francisco, and two hours from the Sierra Nevadas. Petaluma is less expensive than nearby Santa Rosa, Napa, and the Bay Area in general. The nearby town to Cotati is nice too.

Old 12-18-2013, 12:17 PM

4,059 posts, read 5,618,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by downnice View Post
I think a place you can consider is Sparks Nevada. It is at 90k people and is is beautiful and near Reno =)
Did you say Sparks is beautiful? I...guess the Marina isn't too bad if you can ignore the traffic blowing by on I-80.

But seriously, there's a reason the local joke is: “Reno is so close to Hell you can see Sparks”

Old 02-24-2014, 06:03 PM

21 posts, read 49,627 times
To AndrewCS:

Thank you for all the detail regarding Chico! You really painted a picture so I can get a sense of life in Chico. It really does sound like what I am looking for. It sounds like a great place, and I do plan to visit this spring. When do the trees bloom? Is end of March/beginning of April too soon?

mateo45:

Thanks for the input on the winter rain in Chico. I am glad to hear the rain is only around for a couple days followed by sunshine, unlike what I experience in Portland! The cumulative rainfall is rather heavy in Chico, even when compared to Portland. That doesn't bother me one bit if it rains then stops, instead of this nearly constant drizzle that is the PNW.

How about the summer heat in Chico? Does it seem to go on forever? There are 4 months around 90+. That is pretty hot. Is the humidity very low? I imagine it is...

Old 02-24-2014, 06:09 PM

21 posts, read 49,627 times
Dawn.Davenport:

A friend of mine in Santa Rosa actually recently mentioned Petaluma to me. The weather and location seem absolutely divine! Can you tell me about the traffic? I am wondering if the population is starting to outgrow the space. How long does the fog stick around in the morning and when does it return in the evening? Can you tell me about the people in Petaluma and the pace? Are the people friendly/easy going, is there a strong sense of community? Is Petaluma very touristy?

I was looking at Healdsburg too, but I have been reading about the people not being friendly at all. The cost of living is ridiculously high, with only upscale restaurants, etc. Do you know anything about it?

I will look into Cotati too. Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.