Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-03-2013, 10:38 PM

10,214 posts, read 15,917,484 times

Advertisements

I live in West Virginia where the largest city is Charleston but the largest metro area officially is Huntington. However, Huntington's metro area includes portions of Kentucky and Ohio, and if you take away the Ohio and Kentucky parts, the WV portion of the Huntington area is probably smaller than the Charleston metro which is completely inside West Virginia.

I know other states have this situation too, like how a lot of Cincinnati's suburbs are located in Kentucky. Officially St Louis is the biggest metro area in Missouri and Kansas City is second, and both cities have portions that lie outside Missouri. A significant chunk of the Kansas City area lies in Kansas and St Louis has many Illinois suburbs.

I do know that the Detroit metro area officially does NOT include nearby parts of Canada and the El paso area does not include Juarez, Mexico.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2013, 06:16 AM

27,556 posts, read 28,647,655 times
State lines have no effect on the size of metro areas because there are normally no restrictions in crossing state lines.

National borders have a greater effect because, well, they're national borders.

Old 11-04-2013, 06:56 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,906,553 times
Some exapmles are NYC, Philly, DC

For example the Philly area is among 4 state and nearly 3 million (of the 7.4 million) people in the Philly area live in NJ, DE, or MD

Old 11-04-2013, 08:50 AM

12,883 posts, read 13,982,632 times
NYC metro covers parts of NJ, CT, NY, and now PA and it's just like any other metro. State lines don't matter.

Old 11-04-2013, 03:11 PM

10,214 posts, read 15,917,484 times
Ok Jersey so my question actually would be like when they say Philadelphia is the largest metro area in Pennsylvania, is that if the Jersey side is counted? If the New Jersey portion of the Philly area is NOT counted, would Pittsburgh be the bigger metro area?

Old 11-04-2013, 04:08 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,722,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
Ok Jersey so my question actually would be like when they say Philadelphia is the largest metro area in Pennsylvania, is that if the Jersey side is counted? If the New Jersey portion of the Philly area is NOT counted, would Pittsburgh be the bigger metro area?
No. This chart lists the counties in PA for Philly. It's still way bigger.
Pennsylvania metropolitan areas - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 11-12-2013, 11:39 PM

15,408 posts, read 6,194,562 times
It probably is not a major factor in some metros, more significant in others. I have heard Vancouver, WA (not to be confused with the Canadian city) is a desirable town with a lot to offer and is part of the Portland,OR metro. Certainly for Washington DC, the cities of northern Virginia (particularly Alexandria and Arlington) offer a lot.

Where I grew up (Minneapolis/St. Paul area) the sparsely populated portion of western Wisconsin in its metro does not really make much difference (no town in MSP metro over 15,000 in that WI county). I suppose it adds one additional college to the already impressive number in the TC. That would be UW-River Falls.

Old 11-13-2013, 07:02 AM

2,811 posts, read 5,624,588 times
The state lines do not matter- the metro population is counted completely, regardless of how many state lines are crossed to get to all of the different suburbs. The Kansas City metro area is counted completely- including the Kansas suburbs, just as the Portland metro area is completely counted, including Vancouver and the other areas in Washington that are a part of it. These lines mean very little in regards to how a metro area works or is counted.

Old 11-13-2013, 08:06 AM

11,289 posts, read 26,189,443 times
It's just a government boundry like a city limit or a county line. I mean my BF works in Indiana, but if you didn't tell him he was in a differnet state he would know. He's just in "Chicagoland". There are 750,000 people in Indiana and maybe 175,000 in Wisconsin who are counted in the Chicago area just like the other 9,000,000 in Illinois. They just happen to live in a different state.

It's MUCH more pronounced in places like Kansas City or St. Louis, NYC, etc. where the state lines are literally right through the metro or right along the downtonw area. Still it doesn't matter a ton except for some differences of civil laws or taxation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.