Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: POLL: Which region should tourists visit?
Northeast 20 36.36%
Mid-Atlantic 4 7.27%
Deep South (inc. Florida) 14 25.45%
Southwest (inc. all of CA) 10 18.18%
PacNW 4 7.27%
Mountain States 3 5.45%
Voters: 55. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2013, 05:56 AM

10,644 posts, read 16,027,294 times

Advertisements

Why so many votes for the Northeast?
People do realize that New York, Pennsylvania and New Jersey are part of the Mid-Atlantic Right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2013, 06:35 AM

27,197 posts, read 43,896,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy-040 View Post
Why so many votes for the Northeast?
People do realize that New York, Pennsylvania and New Jersey are part of the Mid-Atlantic Right?
New York is in the Northeast, and with Boston thrown in as a part of the equation the Northeast best fits the criteria for a vote in my opinion. Besides nit-picking geographical labeling, what's the point?

Old 12-08-2013, 07:41 AM

204 posts, read 309,629 times
Miami....

Old 12-08-2013, 08:04 AM

6,413 posts, read 12,142,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccm123 View Post
New York, Boston and DC
I'd second this. I'd take the non-stop to Newark (if it really is the only one), and explore from there. Really, going either north or south from there would be good choices. The more I think about it, going south, down through Virginia might even be favorable. I think it'd give them the most different experience from Norway (which is a gorgeous place!). But north is a good choice too. It's hard to be the history of New England.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
Minnesota and the Dakotas are also totally different from Scandinavia
Culturally, it's probably the closest to Scandinavia. But geographically, it'd be the Northwest.

Old 12-08-2013, 08:12 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,894,826 times
Mid Atlantic or Deep South - in the fall. Lots of history, and they'll get to see a part of the US that isn't usually overrun by tourists (other than the touristy spots, of course but there are so many areas in between that aren't crowded) and where the average person is friendlier than average! Not to mention the food is great.

I really do recommend Mount Vernon, and the Historic Triangle (start in DC) and drive south along the coast. That would be a really cool trip. DC, historic Triangle of VA, NC Outer Banks, Charleston, Savannah.

Or you could fly into Philly, see the sights there, then DC, then veer west and drive through the Appalachians, hitting Asheville, then go to Nashville, then Memphis, then Hot Springs, AR, then drive down to New Orleans. That would be a really big trip. You could just start in Asheville if you wanted to shorten it some.

Or you could fly into Austin, see the Texas Hill Country including Luckenbach, TX, and San Antonio, then Houston, then New Orleans, then Mobile, AL, Panama City, FL and then drive up to Atlanta. That would be a cool trip. I'd take that one in the spring.

Or fly into Atlanta, then check out Savannah, then Charleston, and then the NC Outer Banks and then cut over to Asheville, NC and then fly back out of Nashville.

Old 12-08-2013, 08:47 AM

9,086 posts, read 6,311,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
New York is in the Northeast, and with Boston thrown in as a part of the equation the Northeast best fits the criteria for a vote in my opinion. Besides nit-picking geographical labeling, what's the point?
Isn't the point of international travel to see places that are different? The northeast and mid-Atlantic are similar to Europe. I voted for the deep south. It is truly unique from all major sources of international tourists.

Old 12-08-2013, 08:51 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,894,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtkinsonDan View Post
Isn't the point of international travel to see places that are different? The northeast and mid-Atlantic are similar to Europe. I voted for the deep south. It is truly unique from all major sources of international tourists.
I totally agree.

I have several sets of friends from Europe. They much prefer to visit the Deep South and the western Mountain regions over the Northeast for just this very reason. Oh, and they also really like the Chicago/Mississippi Valley areas.

Old 12-08-2013, 09:27 AM

84 posts, read 137,146 times
All of them.

Old 12-08-2013, 09:44 AM

23,461 posts, read 44,074,708 times
If they have a limited amount of time, I might go with the Northeast. So much of the country's early history is imbedded there, and it's a relatively compact area.

Old 12-08-2013, 10:14 AM

3 posts, read 5,434 times
Thanks for all the replies/votes.

Skyped with them today and sent them a link to this thread, so they'll be keeping an eye on it.

They aren't particularly interested in NYC. Magnus flies to the NYC area frequently for business, and Marie isn't interested in NYC for some reason - must be the only European who isn't!!

They have been researching the Midwest and seem to be taken with Illinois/Wisconsin area, but since you guys said about the Deep South being completely different to Europe, they have wondered whether or not IL/WI is culturally different to Norway? I have only visited Norway once and I'd say IL/WI is similar in some respects but would still be alien to them. However, the Deep South would be a really unique experience.

NB: They are planning on a month-long trip and would like to incorporate Route 66 into their trip (if possible).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.