Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2016, 03:49 AM

5,001 posts, read 9,147,545 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wipe0ut2020 View Post
The heat index that 94F with 77 dewpoint produces is far less than what Phoenix has seen many times.
He didn't mention a heat index. That's 94 without the index I'm sure with it the temp was easily over 108 degrees.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2016, 04:00 AM

5,001 posts, read 9,147,545 times
Quote:
The heat index that 94F with 77 dewpoint produces is far less than what Phoenix has seen many times.
He didn't mention a heat index. That's 94 without the index I'm sure with it the temp was easily over 108 degrees.

Old 07-23-2016, 03:59 PM

379 posts, read 288,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PortCity View Post
I think you fail to realize the impact of humidity.Yes Arizona may have 7 days of 110 degree weather.Well so does Alabama especially the Gulf Coast. Here in Mobile we can have 7 days straight of 95 degree temps with 100 % humidity the heat index/ real feel would be over 110 degrees easily. So in essence with the aid of elements we have 100 degree + temps majority of the summer because of humidity.
Nonsense, you have no idea what you are talking about. 95F temps with 100% relative humidity does not happen anywhere in the US. When relative humidity is highest, temps are coolest; high relative humidity values only happen at night.

Quote:
I just looked at today's temps for both Phoenix and Mobile, Al . Phoenix high is 114 and Mobile's high is 90 with a HEAT INDEX of 110 degrees ! Yes 114 is hot but a a region that is clocking 14 degrees lower actually feel 4 degrees lower should be a good indicator. It's 90 in Mobile because of high rain chances.With the slightest change in forecast such as abundant sun that 90 can easily turn anywhere from 95-100. So what do you think the HEAT INDEX would be then ?! Again 92 degrees in Alabama is hotter than 92 degrees in Arizona because 92 in Alabama would have an index of 114 just as it will reach that in Arizona today.
You are throwing these heat index values around way too loosely for anyone to take you seriously. If heat index was consistently that high in Alabama, there would be heat advisories daily.

Arizona in the summer, for the most part, is way hotter than 92F; the heat levels are too obscene for me to choose it over the Deep South.

Quote:
No, I calculated the heat index from the temperature and dewpoint the poster provided; the value then came up to be less than what is seen many times in a typical Phoenix summer.

Old 07-23-2016, 04:23 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,592,398 times
Quote:
Nonsense, you have no idea what you are talking about. 95F temps with 100% relative humidity does not happen anywhere in the US. When relative humidity is highest, temps are coolest; high relative humidity values only happen at night.

You are throwing these heat index values around way too loosely for anyone to take you seriously. If heat index was consistently that high in Alabama, there would be heat advisories daily.

Arizona in the summer, for the most part, is way hotter than 92F; the heat levels are too obscene for me to choose it over the Deep South.

No, I calculated the heat index from the temperature and dewpoint the poster provided; the value then came up to be less than what is seen many times in a typical Phoenix summer.
Drove through Little Rock today, when I was there 98° dew point of 77° and Heat Index was 114°, we've never had a Heat Index over 110 in Phoenix ever, because when the temp is over 110 here, the heat index is 5-10° LOWER than the air temp. I just don't get this eastern summer weather at all, especially the south. It feels like hell on earth

Old 07-23-2016, 04:28 PM

2,745 posts, read 3,957,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
Drove through Little Rock today, when I was there 98° dew point of 77° and Heat Index was 114°, we've never had a Heat Index over 110 in Phoenix ever, because when the temp is over 110 here, the heat index is 5-10° LOWER than the air temp. I just don't get this eastern summer weather at all, especially the south. It feels like hell on earth
Air-conditioning is awesome during work hours. Floating down the river in a kayak or canoe is awesome during off hours. I happen to love these steamy southern nights on the porch with a cold beer, listening to the cicadas echo across the lake.

Old 07-23-2016, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Lies.

Old 07-23-2016, 05:05 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,592,398 times
Quote:
Lies.
It is not lies, you do in fact know that heat index can be LOWER than air temp with low humidity, or did you not know that?

Old 07-23-2016, 05:07 PM

Quote:
It is not lies, you do in fact know that heat index can be LOWER than air temp with low humidity, or did you not know that?
I know that. What isn't true, though is your statement of Phoenix never having heat indices over 110F; that is nonsense.

Old 07-23-2016, 05:07 PM

6,311 posts, read 6,808,542 times
Quote:
The guy you are arguing with is a regular who constantly gets his account banned but makes new accounts all with very similar usernames and argues that the South is superior while the rest of the US is trash in comparison. I wouldn't bother if I were you

Old 07-23-2016, 05:10 PM

2,745 posts, read 3,957,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prickly Pear View Post
The guy you are arguing with is a regular who constantly gets his account banned but makes new accounts all with very similar usernames and argues that the South is superior while the rest of the US is trash in comparison. I wouldn't bother if I were you
Hey, the South kicks ass! But I also like the Northeast, the Midwest, the Southwest, the Great Plains, the Rockies states, California, and the PacNW. I also really loved Alaska. Havent seen Hawaii, maybe it sucks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.