Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-21-2015, 12:29 PM

37,882 posts, read 41,956,856 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayJayCB View Post
I've always seen Atlanta as Deep South, or at least still pretty darn southern despite all the transplants and "New South" flair. Northern VA isn't really like this and even Raleigh/Durham isn't quite as southern, IMO.
As I stated earlier, NoVA feels more like Atlanta's northern 'burbs and while it's Southern, there's not much "Deep South" about it at all. It's very diverse and suburban and in the Piedmont.

Quote:
Raleigh/Durham and NOVA also feel more "East Coast" and probably have more transplants from up and down the Eastern Seaboard. From what I've heard, Atlanta attracts more transplants from Midwestern states like Michigan, Ohio, etc.
Atlanta gets a fair share of transplants from both the Northeast and the Midwest.

In both NoVA and northern Atlanta, you have multiple skylines/office districts, shopping centers, and rail-based transit that give them similar feels as suburban areas of major metropolitan areas, certainly moreso than suburban Raleigh and NoVA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2015, 12:43 PM

10,109 posts, read 9,971,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Driving the GA-400 always reminds me of driving I-66 in NOVA, especially with the train running in the median.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HK5lCrbDgDI
I always though the two highways were similar too for the same reason.

Old 12-21-2015, 01:40 PM

32,101 posts, read 34,720,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Atlanta gets a fair share of transplants from both the Northeast and the Midwest.
For argument's sake, let's say Atlanta got all of its transplants from the Midwest and Raleigh got all of its transplants from the Northeast. What difference would that make?

In either case, I think people would say that the Southern culture of both places had been diluted because of transplants, and not necessarily that they've taken on the culture of the places the transplants came from. The only place I'd say feels heavily "East Coast" due to massive Northeastern influx is South Florida. Miami probably has the best bagels outside of the Tri-State area.

Old 12-21-2015, 02:18 PM

1,724 posts, read 1,860,712 times
Outside of NOVA, Virginia bears more resemblance to North Carolina culturally, linguistically, and politically.

Old 12-21-2015, 04:51 PM

2,323 posts, read 1,561,709 times
^^^ There are certainly more categories than that. Spencer mentioned geographically. There's educationally, topographically, climatically, etc. Politically, culturally, and linguistically are the only three means of comparison that you point to U146? Even then, there's much cultural and linguistic overlap between MD and VA...they share a major metro and bay that's huge characteristic for both states but you see different obviously.

Question, are you a former native (or resident) Marylander or Virginian?

Old 12-21-2015, 05:17 PM

2,262 posts, read 2,400,335 times
Quote:
As I stated earlier, NoVA feels more like Atlanta's northern 'burbs and while it's Southern, there's not much "Deep South" about it at all. It's very diverse and suburban and in the Piedmont.

In both NoVA and northern Atlanta, you have multiple skylines/office districts, shopping centers, and rail-based transit that give them similar feels as suburban areas of major metropolitan areas, certainly moreso than suburban Raleigh and NoVA.
People from Atlanta are always trying to say this but I don't see it? When I went to Atlanta/surburbs it's A LOT more spread out and rural than NoVa. NoVa is more developed and imo they're also culturally different.

Old 12-21-2015, 05:23 PM

2,323 posts, read 1,561,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVA_guy View Post
People from Atlanta are always trying to say this but I don't see it? When I went to Atlanta/surburbs it's A LOT more spread out and rural than NoVa. NoVa is more developed and imo they're also culturally different.
It's more of the shiny new development and crazy traffic. They are different though.

Old 12-21-2015, 06:33 PM

37,882 posts, read 41,956,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVA_guy View Post
I'm not saying they are twin regions but surely they are more alike than NoVA and Raleigh. I don't think that's really a debatabe point myself.

Old 12-21-2015, 06:49 PM

5,003 posts, read 5,983,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
For argument's sake, let's say Atlanta got all of its transplants from the Midwest and Raleigh got all of its transplants from the Northeast. What difference would that make?

In either case, I think people would say that the Southern culture of both places had been diluted because of transplants, and not necessarily that they've taken on the culture of the places the transplants came from. The only place I'd say feels heavily "East Coast" due to massive Northeastern influx is South Florida. Miami probably has the best bagels outside of the Tri-State area.
I pretty much agree with your conclusion, but I will add that the Midwest is much more like the south than the northeast is like the south. As they say the south is separated from Canada by Ohio. Southern Ohio, southern Indiana, southern Illinois, much of Missouri, etc feel pretty southern to me. They have lots of southern accents for example. Very different from NJ, CN, and NY.

Old 12-21-2015, 06:55 PM

5,003 posts, read 5,983,013 times
Quote:
I'm not saying they are twin regions but surely they are more alike than NoVA and Raleigh. I don't think that's really a debatabe point myself.
I'd debate it. Coming from California they're all very similar but to me Raleigh and Atlanta suburbs are the most similar in appearance. But then Raleigh is more similar to NOVA in appearance than Atlanta is to NOVA. The primary way that Atlanta is more similar to NOVA - and it's a big one - is that Atlanta and NOVA are much more big city than Raleigh. You have access to things that you just don't have in a mid sized city like Raleigh. So if you take advantage of such things then lifestyles in NOVA and Atlanta will be more similar.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.