Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2013, 08:53 PM

797 posts, read 1,429,215 times

Advertisements

Virginia has three metro areas over 1million and a few medium sized metros, to me they all are diffrent in culture, with that being said does Virginia have more in common with Maryland or North Carolina?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2013, 11:16 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,143,800 times
It depends who in VA, MD and NC that you ask.

Old 12-13-2013, 11:33 PM

37,875 posts, read 41,896,305 times
I'm going to go with NC here. Firstly, I think their similar sizes count for something. Secondly, I think there are probably more parallels between the two. Both state capital MSAs are roughly the same size (although different in other ways), Winston-Salem is kind of like a mini-Richmond to me, you've got the heavily military regions (Hampton Roads and Fayetteville), quintessential college towns of Charlottesville and Chapel Hill, similar number of F500 companies, the presence of Big Tobacco, a similar number of notable colleges and universities, both are swing states, etc. I know lots of similarities can be demonstrated between VA and MD too, but it seems like VA and NC might have more.

Old 12-14-2013, 12:47 AM

542 posts, read 1,498,558 times
All three actually share some similarities, it depends what part of the state you're talking about. All three are a bit different, but they also have things in common with each other.

Generally speaking, the way I see it is that the part of Virginia north of I-64 and east of the Shenandoah is more like Maryland, and Southern and Southeast Virginia is more like Northern and Northeastern North Carolina. But even with that, you can draw parallels between Ocean City and Virginia Beach, Raleigh/Durham and the DC Area, and Baltimore and Richmond.

The metros are where it gets tricky. All three states are very transient, especially in their metro areas. Additionally, there's a lot of strong economic and cultural interstate connectivity and travel between all three states. I'm sure you can find MDers in NOVA, Charlottesville, Richmond, Blacksburg/VA Tech, the Triangle, the Triad, Charlotte, and Eastern NC. But you'll also see quite a bit of VAers and NCers in the Baltimore and DC metros. People from all three states also vacation in the same spots, like the Chesapeake, the Outer Banks, or the Shenandoah Valley.

VA and MD share the Chesapeake and a metro region, as well as similarities in history, culture, demographics, and economics, among other things. But NC shares in those similarities, as well.

It's a tough call, but I guess you could say VA is like both. I'd give it a slight edge to MD due to NOVA increasingly becoming the political and economic powerhouse of the state, which is more aligned with Central Maryland.

Last edited by KeyserSoze; 12-14-2013 at 01:05 AM..

Old 12-17-2013, 02:32 PM

484 posts, read 882,217 times
Outside the DC burbs it's more similar to North Carolina.

Old 12-17-2013, 03:29 PM

525 posts, read 508,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhans123 View Post
Outside the DC burbs it's more similar to North Carolina.
Exactly.

Outside of NOVA...North Carolina all day.

Virginia is basically like North Carolina exactly, but with New Jersey stitched onto the northeastern corner of it.

Old 12-17-2013, 03:29 PM

797 posts, read 1,429,215 times
What about the DelMarVa, and the Hampton Roads has alot of similarities to MD being on the Chesapeake and all.

Old 12-17-2013, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diff1 View Post
What about the DelMarVa, and the Hampton Roads has alot of similarities to MD being on the Chesapeake and all.
The DelMarVa I'll give you, but I think Eastern NC has a lot of cultural similarities to the Hampton Roads area. Talkin' all tidewater'y. But I think the Eastern Shore has some of that too. I've not been in the Hampton Roads area in forever, but I was in the Outer Banks last year and it reminded me quite a bit of VA.

Old 12-17-2013, 04:03 PM

60 posts, read 113,790 times
What about Richmond Va its neighborhoods and architecture is more like D.C. and Md than anything in NC.

Old 12-17-2013, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllEars85 View Post
What about Richmond Va its neighborhoods and architecture is more like D.C. and Md than anything in NC.
There are row houses in NC and SC....I assume thats what you mean?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.