Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2013, 11:34 PM

8 posts, read 7,336 times

Advertisements

Hey guys, I will be moving to America next year and I just wanted some advice on where to live and all that jazz.

I'm 22 years old and have recently graduated University, I'll be moving over with one of my good mates and we have developed a rough list of where we would like to live:

Portland
Boston
Chicago
San Fran

We have come up with the above and I was hoping to gain some first hand advice on where would be ideal for both of us. Both of us will be looking to have a good time and also work. We both don't mind the busy lifestyle and are very open-minded people.

I'll appreciate all information and suggestions.

Thanks, Anthony.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2013, 12:16 AM

4,787 posts, read 11,758,510 times
Well, you can't just move to the US because you feel like it, unless you are already a US citizen.

If you're not a citizen, to move here you need to be hired beforehand by an employer who will sponsor your move. Unless you have some great technical skills or trade that can't be fulfilled by an American worker, getting an employer to hire you is going to be near impossible. Finding two of those jobs for both you and your friend in the same city will be even harder.

Two young people just out of college really don't have much to offer an employer as you'd be in competition with an enormous number of American young people looking for those same starter jobs.

However, if you could somehow manage it or if you're somehow already a citizen, I'd eliminate San Francisco and Boston. Both are dreadfully expensive. San Francisco is one of the most expensive cities in the country and Boston is not far behind.

I'd look into Chicago. It's not cheap but for a large, vibrant city, it's fairly affordable. It's lakefront, has active nightlife, good local transportation, lots of housing options, decent employment prospects as compared to some areas of the country. Lots to see and do. It's also a major airline and train hub, so it's easy to get to other places in the country.

Old 12-14-2013, 12:19 AM

I am aware of that, I'm travelling on a visa. Looking for work I assumed might be difficult but at the moment I am not phased by that, because I'd hope to be able to gain employment once over there.

Old 12-14-2013, 12:41 AM

7,725 posts, read 12,618,642 times
Wow the first response was unusually cold and harsh. It's not that difficult. Just make sure you get a green card and then bring over skills and credentials that employers are looking for and you'll be able to find a job. Portland is nice. But I think Seattle would be a little better for you. Good luck.

Old 12-14-2013, 12:46 AM

278 posts, read 308,625 times
Default Welcome :D

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonyh24 View Post
I am aware of that, I'm travelling on a visa. Looking for work I assumed might be difficult but at the moment I am not phased by that, because I'd hope to be able to gain employment once over there.
What did you study at Uni? In what field and what position do you plan to work? This will play a part in which cities will be best for you.

Do you and your friend enjoy recreational sports, pub hopping, the beach, the mountains, etc. maybe list some more things you would like to do as it will help us be more specific with advice.

Old 12-14-2013, 01:00 AM

4,787 posts, read 11,758,510 times
Not being cruel and harsh- just realistic. Getting a green card is not easy. Read and research

Green Card Eligibility | USCIS

Green Card Through a Job | USCIS

Old 12-14-2013, 01:07 AM

21,695 posts, read 28,442,276 times
I would begin in a large city where job potential is the greatest. What are your majors? Were I in your position, either Boston or Chicago would be my first choices.

Old 12-14-2013, 02:41 AM

2,011 posts, read 3,460,459 times
Have you looked into Seattle?

Old 12-14-2013, 02:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
Wow the first response was unusually cold and harsh. It's not that difficult. Just make sure you get a green card and then bring over skills and credentials that employers are looking for and you'll be able to find a job. Portland is nice. But I think Seattle would be a little better for you. Good luck.
I had a look at Seattle as well, we haven't made any decisions yet, living wise that is. So we are keeping open minds. We will be there for a year on a Visa that is granted to graduating students in Melbourne. It is a working/holiday so I don't want to be super tied down in a job and being young I still want to be able to have a good time. Thank you.

Old 12-14-2013, 02:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyHowdy View Post
What did you study at Uni? In what field and what position do you plan to work? This will play a part in which cities will be best for you.

Do you and your friend enjoy recreational sports, pub hopping, the beach, the mountains, etc. maybe list some more things you would like to do as it will help us be more specific with advice.
I studied Criminal Justice, and coming from Australia, our legal systems are different, so it would be hard to work in that field. I have decided against working in my field of study, only because I want a break and I do not want to be tied down to a job because I want to explore what USA has to offer.

All of those things you listed would be great. I personally am very outdoorsy and I don't mind the crazy business of cities, things that are thriving I work well in. We realistically are going to find jobs over there and a place to live as well so, I think we have to take into consideration rent prices and employment opportunities.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.