Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-30-2013, 02:53 PM

8,632 posts, read 13,003,320 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2e1m5a View Post
And calling Philly a "drive thru city" is just sheer ignorance, although probably willfull ignorance, when you consider the bigotry mentioned earlier.
lol. Who calls a city that has been among the top 5 largest cities since the birth of this nation a "drive thru city".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2013, 02:53 PM

1,612 posts, read 2,422,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justabystander View Post
MichVegas; I have been reading your posts; what the heck is your problem with Chicago? It is constantly negative, your posts have become really predictable. The bad part of this forum is that people like you take their biases and hate and focus them on a city or area no matter what the subject.
It sounds to me like you have some sort of bias.

I referred to official weather temps in Chicago, which are colder than that of Philly and NYC. If you have a problem with official meteorology stats, and think they're indicative of bias against a city, then I don't know what to say.

Old 12-30-2013, 02:57 PM

32,113 posts, read 34,732,040 times
I didn't know Chicago was that much cooler than Philadelphia.

The biggest advantage Chicago has over Philly is that it's head honcho in its region. If you grew up in the Midwest and attended a Big Ten school then Chicago is probably THE "it" place for you. All I ever hear from my Midwest friends is "Chicago, Chicago, Chicago, Chicago, Chicago, Gino's East, Navy Pier, Chicago, Shedd Aquarium, Chicago, Brisket, Chicago, Chicago, Polish sausage, Chicago, Da Bears, Chicago."

Philly has a few other great cities in close proximity that hog much of the limelight.

Old 12-30-2013, 04:23 PM

4,927 posts, read 14,218,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
lol. Who calls a city that has been among the top 5 largest cities since the birth of this nation a "drive thru city".
Philly is definitely not a drive thru city , its arguably one of the top 5 "must see" cities in the usa.Though it is interesting to note that the NJ Turnpike (Philadelphia bypass) diverts almost all of the DC-NYC traffic away from Philadelphia.

In fact There is barely a mention of Philadelphia on any highway signs on I-95 between DC and NY. I-95 splits in Wilmington De where most NYC traffic goes over the Del Memorial Bridge which directly connects to the NJ Turnpike.

Old 12-30-2013, 09:15 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,994,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
Just curious if you realize that even today the port of Philadelphia (The Deleware River ports from South of Wilmington DE to a little north of Philly are almost as large tonnage wise (smaller container port by a decent magin) as the port of NY/NJ. Even today they are pretty close. I believe Philly is 5th tonnage wise in the US even today

I do agree however the port is better situated in NY, it requires much less navigation to reach
Yup, that was my only point.

Old 12-30-2013, 09:26 PM

27,575 posts, read 28,673,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainrock View Post
Philly is definitely not a drive thru city , its arguably one of the top 5 "must see" cities in the usa.Though it is interesting to note that the NJ Turnpike (Philadelphia bypass) diverts almost all of the DC-NYC traffic away from Philadelphia.

In fact There is barely a mention of Philadelphia on any highway signs on I-95 between DC and NY. I-95 splits in Wilmington De where most NYC traffic goes over the Del Memorial Bridge which directly connects to the NJ Turnpike.
I agree. I always thought it was strange that even Baltimore was way more prominent than Philadelphia on the drive between DC and NYC.

Old 12-30-2013, 09:44 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,994,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
I agree. I always thought it was strange that even Baltimore was way more prominent than Philadelphia on the drive between DC and NYC.
Does this article help at all? It's quite confusing to me (highways in general confuse me when they cross state lines and their local names change) and it is Wikipedia which may not always be the most reliable but am I on the right track here? The very first two paragraphs seem like they may explain it - there seems to be an I-95 gap in central NJ due to the cancellation of a highway called the Somerset Highway which looks like would have better connected NJ and PA near Philly. Yeah? No?

Interstate 95 in New Jersey - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 12-30-2013, 09:49 PM

1,449 posts, read 2,189,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiVegas View Post
Philly is 43% black per the Census. Higher than other city propers but nowhere near 60%.
Exactly. Philly is also whiter than Chicago and New York (not saying that this is a good or bad thing, its just is what is). Philly is 36.9% non Hispanic white, while Chicago is 31.7% non Hispanic white and NYC is 33.3% non Hispanic white. The poster that you were responding to is quite delusional with the way he is pulling statistics out of thin air and making ridiculous inaccurate statements.

Old 12-31-2013, 07:10 AM

2,214 posts, read 5,094,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
Does this article help at all? It's quite confusing to me (highways in general confuse me when they cross state lines and their local names change) and it is Wikipedia which may not always be the most reliable but am I on the right track here? The very first two paragraphs seem like they may explain it - there seems to be an I-95 gap in central NJ due to the cancellation of a highway called the Somerset Highway which looks like would have better connected NJ and PA near Philly. Yeah? No?

Interstate 95 in New Jersey - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Maybe. That highway gap is being fixed on the PA side: PA Turnpike / I-95 Interchange Project.

However, I think it's at least somewhat intentional that Philadelphia receives barely a mention on the NJ Turnpike, a large portion of which is I95. In fact, when the 2000 Republican National Convention occurred in Philadelphia, certain PA politicians requested that more labeling and acknowledgement of Philadelphia occur by the NJ Turnpike. They were of course rebuffed. After all, acknowledgeing Philadelphia would have helped PA and Philadelphia - the NJ Turnpike of course didn't want to help another city or state (that wasn't NY, anyway).

Old 12-31-2013, 08:27 AM

4,927 posts, read 14,218,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPP1999 View Post
Maybe. That highway gap is being fixed on the PA side: PA Turnpike / I-95 Interchange Project.

However, I think it's at least somewhat intentional that Philadelphia receives barely a mention on the NJ Turnpike, a large portion of which is I95. In fact, when the 2000 Republican National Convention occurred in Philadelphia, certain PA politicians requested that more labeling and acknowledgement of Philadelphia occur by the NJ Turnpike. They were of course rebuffed. After all, acknowledgeing Philadelphia would have helped PA and Philadelphia - the NJ Turnpike of course didn't want to help another city or state (that wasn't NY, anyway).

This is a good example of why Philadelphia stays so far under the radar. Its very tough for cohesion and a marquee brand when you have 3 different states vying for attention. Yes 3 separate states so close in geography with a heavy population density can have its benefits but it also causes problems. Trenton NJ is by far the closest state capital in the Philadelphia region and its priorities are NJ---NY------then way down on the list is trying to put the Philadelphia region on the map.

Similarly Delaware strives for its own attention.

Chicago can pull in companies/jobs from throughout the Midwest/national....SF- the West Coast/national.... DC -Mid Atlantic/national. In Philadelphia you have 3 different states jabbing at each other for the same growth/companies/jobs. Its a difficult situation. Somewhere in the past the Philadelphia region needed better guidance for cohesion between Pa-De-South Jersey. It might be too late now.

Getting back to The NJ Turnpike. I-95 through Wilmington -Philly- NE Philly is bumper to bumper most of the time. Can't imagine what traffic would be like without the NJ Turnpike.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.