Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Why do people stay in cold US Climates?
My job is here 85 25.30%
MY family is here 97 28.87%
I like the 4 distinct seasons 183 54.46%
I don't like the politics in the South 91 27.08%
I don't have money to move 30 8.93%
I do plan to move but can't right now 48 14.29%
other 46 13.69%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 336. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2013, 04:17 PM

4,666 posts, read 5,093,167 times

Advertisements

My family and job are here, but it isn't why I stay here. I like having four seasons. I like the cold. Snow is another story. Snow on the ground makes sunrises and sunsets more beautiful. It also makes the longer nights brighter. Driving in it is a pain.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2013, 04:20 PM

6,311 posts, read 6,816,707 times
Why do people move to seven months of 100+ degree weather? Sure beats me

Maybe one day I can live in a cold part of the US.

Old 12-22-2013, 05:30 PM

11,289 posts, read 26,199,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocean2026 View Post
I've lived in NYC and Indiana and both certainly had good things about them ( Indiana has Indiana U Basketball). I still love visiting NYC great city.

Fort he last 16 years I've lived in Rockport, Texas in Aransas County Texas ( pop. 26,000). It's a peninsula on the Gulf Coast-more beach and water front than people. It's quite a friendly place, many retirees, and it only freezes an average of a couple of hours every other year or so (usually around 4:30 AM). There is a bit of snow every 3 years or so. There is no State Income Tax, NO traffic-- well I consider it traffic when a car comes by and yells out the window "Twiz Please move over ( dog likes to nap on the pavement). Violent crime is rare but usually intrafamily. There are no unsafe streets. Rockport is environmentally liberal but otherwise conservative.

I don't like crime, really cold weather, high taxes and traffic - all items people like to ***** about- so why do you stay?
Cause I want to?? I don't really know what this post has to do with the temperature. Honestly I always laugh at my friends in Florida who always bombard everyone with "florida in january!" but then from June through September they're curiously..... silent....although none of our midwest friends are beating this dead horse every day for weeks on end that its miserable in Florida and nice elsewhere. I feel like people in warmer climates/the south tend to play up the weather way more than people in the north tend to care about it. It's warmer down south....it's warmer in winter. That's great, I'm happy about it......but that hardly means anyone up north is losing out on living or dwelling. I'm just as busy in winter as I am in summer, I love snow, I don't mind cold weather. You change what you wear, but you don't stop living. I love the change of seasons, I LOVE snow, I'm not a huge fan of being freezing cold - but that's just a fraction of your year, even in Chicago. Just cause it's December, January and February doesn't mean it's meaninglyfully COLD out the entire time.

Old 12-22-2013, 06:07 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,583 posts, read 81,186,228 times
I answered I like the 4 distinct seasons because it was the only answer close. The real reason, not a choice, is that I just hate hot weather. Here we may get to 80-85 a few weeks during July and August, that's tolerable. You can also add layers in the cold, but if too hot, even naked in the shade there is not much you can do, and I like to spend time outdoors every day.

Old 12-22-2013, 06:20 PM

41,936 posts, read 36,962,945 times
I hate the heat

I like the seasons

I hate the politics and the culture of the south

Old 12-22-2013, 08:27 PM

6,143 posts, read 7,556,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtkinsonDan View Post
To address the OP, I like the cold weather because it provides a reprieve from stinging insects and poisonous plants which all die back in the winter. Come November and December I can stomp around without the worry of stepping on a yellow jackets nest. Late autumn and early spring are opportune times to cut back brush and prune plants since the leaves have fallen off and I can see what needs to be cut better.
Yes, I always enjoy the break from having to worry about encountering rattlesnakes.

Old 12-22-2013, 09:26 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,990,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocean2026 View Post
I always like the first snow each year. I loved the beauty and throwing snowballs. the 2nd 3,4th 28th --not so much.

Perhaps its the media's fault . THe news is full of big snow storms,car wrecks and casualties.
You hit the nail on the head. The media DOES make a big deal out of it. The weather channel has started naming winter storms and now every time it snows here, no matter how much, it's in the news as some big catastrophic event. It's snowed 3 or 4 times already here in NJ and none of those storms were paralyzing like they seemed on TV and in the papers. 2-6 inches in my area per storm, less and more in other areas of the state, but none of this has been a big deal. One truck slides off the road or there is one pile up from the snow and they make you think that's all that happens always and we're all living this miserable life.

We're used to snow. It's barely a big deal unless it snows more than a foot. Even then, we deal with it. I love the snow. I love four seasons, all very different, and look forward to each one. I live here because I love it here and frankly can't see myself living somewhere that is always warm.

Old 12-22-2013, 09:28 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,990,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gobucks86 View Post
I think a lot of is the medias fault. I mean, they make it seem as if life can only be enjoyed if you live in a warm weather state. There are so many media members bitching about the Super Bowl being in NY this year and are acting like life will end as we know it if it snows during the Super Bowl because oh my God, grown men being paid millions cannot play in the snow and oh God, what will those camera men do as they film the Super Bowl in the cold?!?! Also, most TV shows these days showcase the sunny states and don't really show the nice sides of the cold states after a nice snow. They make snow seem like it's something produced from terrorists or something. I don't know, it's annoying to me.
*New Jersey.

But yes, you're right. Everyone complaining about the Super Bowl is getting on my nerves. If you don't want to sit in the cold, don't come! More room for those of us used to the cold. Football is a fall and winter sport. It's frequently played in the snow. Whats wrong with a Super Bowl reflecting that?

If it snows, it snows. No need to stress over it. It'll be more fun to watch.

Old 12-22-2013, 10:49 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,449,641 times
I could ask "Why do people stay in hot US Climates?" and list the same reasons. Other than the "other" option the OP does not give this choice and believe it or not, some of us actually like cold weather. I don't live in a cold weather climate now, but I was born and raised in a cold weather city, Chicago and it wasn't a problem. If I ever move back to the Midwest it still wouldn't be one. Summer is my least favorite season.

Old 12-22-2013, 11:02 PM

2,601 posts, read 8,522,142 times
Good discussion- a fw points.
1. At least where I am there are not 7 months of 100 degrees but 3-4 months in the 90's is bad enough. Rockport has an ocean breeze so my area on the water is probalbly 3 degrees less than the stated temp.
2. Being from the North I always grew up with White Chirsmas Holidays -Its not the same without it. People down here don't seem to mind.
3. I don't like Southern Politics but there are "liberal" places for those who like that- Austin and South Texas come to mind.
4. Back to my point about the media only showing accidents and death associated with snow. I guess its not news to see kids sledding or having snowball fights or making snowmen.
5. I suppose the South makes sense more as a retirement place. The lower cost of living -less taxes are attractive. Also I noticed as i get older playing in the snow is less amusing and I feel the cold more when I return than I did at a younger agel. Then again Rockport TX attracts visitors and retirees. Only about 1/3 our residents were born here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.