Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Why do people stay in cold US Climates?
My job is here 85 25.30%
MY family is here 97 28.87%
I like the 4 distinct seasons 183 54.46%
I don't like the politics in the South 91 27.08%
I don't have money to move 30 8.93%
I do plan to move but can't right now 48 14.29%
other 46 13.69%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 336. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2014, 11:15 PM

10,206 posts, read 15,910,503 times

Advertisements

I like a place that has 4 seasons but where the winter is shorter. For example Georgia and North Carolina still has 4 seasons and it still gets cold in the winter, it just doesn't have to be as cold as Minnesota. Places like Ohio and Pennsylvania are too cold for my liking but I can still understand why people don't mind living there.

But when I meet people from places as cold as Michigan, Minnesota, North Dakota or Alaska I do wonder what keeps them there. I wonder whats in Minneapolis that can't be found in a warmer city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2014, 11:20 PM

10,206 posts, read 15,910,503 times
When I graduated high school is when I started hating snow. Even in college classes were still open when public schools were closed. I lived in Maryland where public schools close very easily for snow.

Baltimore and Pittsburgh are the coldest cities I would live in and not be completely miserable. Though honestly I hate snow MORE than I hate the cold itself because once its below 40 degrees I am cooped up indoors anyway. So I'd prefer 20 degrees with no snow than 30 degrees with accumulating snow that I have to shovel and drive in. I also prefer living in more rural areas on rural roads that typically don't get shoveled that quickly if at all because I can't stand high densities or city life. And I also prefer places where I drive everywhere vs take mass transit too.

Old 01-03-2014, 12:04 AM

2,496 posts, read 3,369,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
But when I meet people from places as cold as Michigan, Minnesota, North Dakota or Alaska I do wonder what keeps them there. I wonder whats in Minneapolis that can't be found in a warmer city.

plenty....starting with this https://www.google.com/search?q=St.+...w=1366&bih=638

http://us.123rf.com/400wm/400/400/ma...-fireplace.jpg

Southerners will never get it.....they are (in general) wusses when it comes to cold weather. You get shut in at 20 degrees? grow a pair, learn to layer......

here are some other things...

https://www.google.com/search?q=snow...w=1366&bih=638

http://www.visit1000islands.com/visi...ond-hockey.jpg

http://cloudfront10.curling.ca/wp-co...ts-resized.jpg

http://lifesport-calgary.com/images/...skiing-01b.jpg

http://pictures.polandforall.com/ima...-in-poland.jpg

http://www.savingadvice.com/images/blog/sledding.jpg

I SERIOUSLY feel sorry for any child who did not grow up with full on winters.....

http://m4.i.pbase.com/u6/qleap/uploa....DCP_1771R.jpg

I echo your sentiments...when I meet people from places without a real winter, I wonder what keeps them THERE.

Old 01-03-2014, 05:09 AM

3,119 posts, read 6,600,730 times
Why do people stay in sweaty climates?

Old 01-03-2014, 08:26 AM

5,993 posts, read 10,182,497 times
Quote:
I like a place that has 4 seasons but where the winter is shorter. For example Georgia and North Carolina still has 4 seasons and it still gets cold in the winter, it just doesn't have to be as cold as Minnesota. Places like Ohio and Pennsylvania are too cold for my liking but I can still understand why people don't mind living there.

In my experience, the quality of living there (including winter) is outstanding. You just feel good about yourself and there's a lot to do. In terms of being unique or different from other cities, one thing you can do there that you can't do in any other major U.S. city (that I know of) is play pick-up hockey at the nearest outdoor park. Similarly, you can go sledding, skating, skiing (cross country OR alpine), ice fishing, etc. Since there is ice and snow throughout most of winter you can count on it and it's easier to organize winter sports outside as a result, which sounds like a pathetic amenity until you've shut yourself inside all winter and realize just how badly you want an excuse to leave the house!

There are many other intangible and subjective measures of quality for the area but since those are the most hotly debated I won't mention them here (like niceness, education or progressiveness).

Old 01-03-2014, 08:30 AM

5,993 posts, read 10,182,497 times
Quote:
When I graduated high school is when I started hating snow. Even in college classes were still open when public schools were closed. I lived in Maryland where public schools close very easily for snow.

Baltimore and Pittsburgh are the coldest cities I would live in and not be completely miserable. Though honestly I hate snow MORE than I hate the cold itself because once its below 40 degrees I am cooped up indoors anyway. So I'd prefer 20 degrees with no snow than 30 degrees with accumulating snow that I have to shovel and drive in. I also prefer living in more rural areas on rural roads that typically don't get shoveled that quickly if at all because I can't stand high densities or city life. And I also prefer places where I drive everywhere vs take mass transit too.
It's very hard to explain or believe unless you've lived it, but a cold winter WITHOUT snow and not taking advantage of the things to do in snow is so much more miserable than one with snow! I also am getting very jaded by snow and ice as I get older but anytime I put myself in the elements and play something fun with my kids or friends I feel like a kid all over again. Without that activity though the cold, snow and ice are only a nuisance.

Sincerely though, I really wouldn't expect those who did not grow up in that environment to understand it at all. It's not intuitive whatsoever! It's like saying in order to get out of that cave you have to dig deeper.

Old 01-03-2014, 08:41 AM

4,865 posts, read 4,174,626 times
What? We can't just like snow and winter activities?

It would take extrodinary conditions for me to live anywhere that doesn't see snow reliably in the winter.

My two and four year olds received skis for Christmas this year. We play hockey outside every week. We go snowshoeing and ice fishing. Snow and cold weather does not equal sitting on the couch inside all day.

Last edited by Vegabern; 01-03-2014 at 08:50 AM..

Old 01-03-2014, 10:49 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,853,687 times
I am not from a place with a cold climate, but even before I saw the results of the poll, I figured they stay for many of the same reasons why people stay in climates that have a very hot summer, like where I live (Texas).

Close family proximity
Where the job is
They like the weather

Makes sense to me. Those are the same reasons I love living in the South.

Old 01-03-2014, 10:50 AM

417 posts, read 867,223 times
I havea Hummer H3 and love tearing up snowpacked roads with it, and I also enjoy snowblowing.

Old 01-03-2014, 05:14 PM

3,119 posts, read 6,600,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 04blackmaxx View Post
I havea Hummer H3 and love tearing up snowpacked roads with it, and I also enjoy snowblowing.
Snow blowing is a blast. Spent 45 minutes today "moving" some snowdrifts with mine. It was about 10 degrees with a gentle breeze. Crisp, refreshing air at its best. I was dressed properly, of course.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.