Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Why do people stay in cold US Climates?
My job is here 85 25.30%
MY family is here 97 28.87%
I like the 4 distinct seasons 183 54.46%
I don't like the politics in the South 91 27.08%
I don't have money to move 30 8.93%
I do plan to move but can't right now 48 14.29%
other 46 13.69%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 336. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2014, 09:38 PM

737 posts, read 1,654,613 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocean2026 View Post
How's Minnesota doing for you today?
It's cold. My perspective of the area hasn't changed though, besides It will warm up this weekend.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2014, 08:44 AM

11,289 posts, read 26,199,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennifat View Post
It was deliriously sunny here today with an azure blue sky. Beautiful day.

Life goes on here, regardless of the temperature. People here have to enjoy winters for what they are and make the best of it. That's part of why a lot of people love it here.
Chicago was very beautiful yesterday as well, I went for a walk just to experience the temps and the ultra crips quiet air. I bundled up and was fine out there for about 20 minutes before I wandered back in to finish some laundry.

Honestly everyone I know in Chicago was out in the winter wonderland of snow on Saturday/Sunday, then had off work yesterday and today. Me and my BF are planning a few trips and just cuddling up on the couch. I felt like it's the worlds biggest "curl up day" yesterday from looking at my facebook feed! We need one of these every year, it's so relaxing and let eveyone stop their fast paced lives for a few days and just take time for themselves at home.

Old 01-07-2014, 09:02 AM

7,108 posts, read 8,970,936 times
I'm tolerant of extreme weather conditions.

I love cities and I find places like Chicago NYC Providence Baltimore and St Louis more attractive than Atlanta Charlotte Nashville and Houston.

I can appreciate many cities in the south and I see some of the advantages of living there but they are not places I care to live in.

Old 01-07-2014, 11:35 AM

4,865 posts, read 4,179,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjg5 View Post
1. Having four seasons in awesome. I love all of them, why the * would I want to live in a perpetual summer???!
2. I also enjoy the larger seasonal changes in day lengths in the higher latitudes.

Seattle isn't a true four season climate and I hope to move east of the Cascades within the next few years with one of the reasons being to enjoy a true four season climate every year.
Good point. I was momentarily confused when I was in Houston and it got dark so early in May. I'm used to pure daylight sunshine until at least 9:00pm in the summer. Short days in the winters do blow though.

Old 01-07-2014, 12:10 PM

89 posts, read 179,407 times
Quote:
Let's see North Dakota gained 50,000 people over the last 3 years, Texas gained 1.3 Million see if you can guess which is a larger figure. Florida gained over a million, Michigan stayed the same -meaning many more moved out than moved in however there were more babies than old folks dying off. Some of them went to North Dakota.

If you can't understand numbers or present them honestly -why bother? Fact people have been and are continuing to leave the north and midwest in order to move south.
People are following the jobs. Every city and region and even countries for that matter go through boom and bust cycles, for most parts the sunbelt cities are still in their boom phase while the midwest & north cities are just coming out of their bust phases. Sooner or later the migration and population gains in the sunbelt cities will start to slow down as it goes through it's own inevitable economic downturn.

Old 01-08-2014, 03:06 PM

2,601 posts, read 8,522,142 times
Here are today's published job projections for each state

Which States Lead in Job Creation in 2014? - Stateline

Old 01-10-2014, 12:11 AM

912 posts, read 1,132,268 times
Quote:
Here are today's published job projections for each state

Which States Lead in Job Creation in 2014? - Stateline
These types of list are terrible. For example, North Dakota is number 1, which would lead you to believe that there are a plethora of jobs to find in North Dakota. Not so, but since North Dakota has a tiny population, it's paltry job increase of only 7,000 gives it the number 1. If most people who moved in search of job opportunities relied only on lists such as this, they would find themselves woefully unemployed in North Dakota. The vast gap in population size between states, makes general comparisons and lists like this moot.

Old 01-10-2014, 01:18 AM

1,773 posts, read 2,676,127 times
Why do people stay in incredibly hot climates?

Old 01-10-2014, 01:52 AM

14,682 posts, read 14,648,352 times
If I were to live in a year-round "warm" climate, I'd move back to California. I'd much rather enjoy the four seasons than be sweltering in some Florida swamp or Arizona desert 12 months of the year. After the first couple winters, the cold didn't bother me (though this past week was pretty bad), and it's a good excuse to sit inside and drink a cup of warm tea or hearty beer.

Old 01-10-2016, 11:11 PM

1 posts, read 808 times
Default What a dumb question...

Because we have obviously weighed in all the pros and cons and have decided that its much more beneficial to our needs to live here. I dont think most people choose a place to live solely based on weather. There are so many much more important factors like jobs and schools. Florida for example is a beautiful state, but the schools are so below national average there its amazing to me that anyone from there can read or write. So while some of us (especially me) would love more then anything to live in a warm climate all year round, I won't find anywhere else what I have here. I love it here (minus the cold).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.