Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Why do people stay in cold US Climates?
My job is here 85 25.30%
MY family is here 97 28.87%
I like the 4 distinct seasons 183 54.46%
I don't like the politics in the South 91 27.08%
I don't have money to move 30 8.93%
I do plan to move but can't right now 48 14.29%
other 46 13.69%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 336. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2016, 11:09 PM

3,615 posts, read 2,331,782 times

Advertisements

If Jonas actually turns into anything, it will do away with all these low snow averages for the winter. . DC will just shut down at least if the projections are any way close to reality. at least its a weekend. I just hope we dont lose power
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2016, 11:18 PM

8,256 posts, read 17,351,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABrandNewWorld View Post
Last July through October offered plenty of balmy nights that stayed above 70 F in Southern California.
"Almost never" is an exaggeration.
Everyone knows this past summer was an anomaly in SoCal...

Old 01-20-2016, 06:36 AM

10,787 posts, read 8,762,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine to Vine View Post
I hate, hate, hate hot weather. Anyone besides me looking forward to this weekend's snowfall on the I95 corridor?
I'm with you. I have way less tolerance of hot/humid weather as I get older. It just saps the life out of me and being in AC doesn't really help since I still have to go outside.

Old 01-20-2016, 06:36 AM

4,861 posts, read 9,311,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunion Powder View Post
Every other northerner on this forum has regurgitated that line ad nauseum, and it's pretty ridiculous.
i think you're exaggerating just a tiny bit here, don't you? I've never said that, I readily admit that I don't like to feel cold, and I don't like to be dressed in multiple layers either. However, I hate equally the feeling of having to wear less clothing to tolerate the outdoors temperatures and then freezing in an air conditioned home or building, which is often the case in warmer climates, or even here in the summertime.

I hate shivering and having to bundle up to go to the grocery store, but I hate equally getting into a sweltering car and being covered in a thin layer of sweat just walking from the car to into the grocery store. I think weather extremes either way are equally miserable. Since I live where I am happy and have a good job, family and friends, and a meaningful life, I choose to "suffer" (in the First World sense of the word) in the winter instead of in the summer. No big deal. What works for me doesn't work for you and vice versa.

I get tired of this whole attitude here on C-D that if someone states that he or she honestly does not mind living in a place that gets cold in the winter, it is implied that they are lying and are secretly miserable and envious of the people who live in a warmer climate. No two people are alike and no one has the right to tell a stranger on an internet forum how they feel about anything. How ludicrous.

Last edited by canudigit; 01-20-2016 at 07:12 AM..

Old 01-20-2016, 06:49 AM

Quote:
So the heat is healthier for you than the cold. Cold weather makes your skin look all flushed and dry. Every other person is sick, coughing and sneezing on people, blowing chunks of mucus all over the place. Disgusting. Cold weather kills more people. Staying healthy and alive in the heat only requires that you stay shaded and hydrated.
Apparently you are unaware of the seasonal affective disorder that concerns people who, essentially, "shut down" in the summer from heat/humdity. The winter sufferers are more numerous so they get all the attention.

Old 01-20-2016, 06:56 AM

7,528 posts, read 10,262,211 times
Quote:
So the heat is healthier for you than the cold.
So you claim. A Google search indicates there is no clear scientific conclusion but rather a mix of opinions that support either claim, based largely upon preferences and lifestyles.

Personally, I was never suited for a climate of high heat and humidity for much of the year. I always felt so sluggish and didn't want to be outside, instead confining myself into air conditioned quarters for a large part of the year. I am much happier living in a region with 4 distinct seasons. Best of all, it looks like we're in for a nice dump of snow this weekend if the models prove true.

Old 01-20-2016, 06:58 AM

822 posts, read 858,405 times
Quote:
So the heat is healthier for you than the cold. Cold weather makes your skin look all flushed and dry. Every other person is sick, coughing and sneezing on people, blowing chunks of mucus all over the place. Disgusting. Cold weather kills more people. Staying healthy and alive in the heat only requires that you stay shaded and hydrated.
you dont get sick because of cold weather... you get sick from viruses . More people die in the heat than from cold weather. Also the cold provides relief from allergies.

Old 01-20-2016, 07:02 AM

822 posts, read 858,405 times
I get tired of this whole attitude here on C-D that if someone states that he or she honestly does not mind living in a place that gets cold in the winter, it is implied that they are lying and are secretly miserable and envyious of the people who live in a warmer climate. No two people are alike and no one has the right to tell a stranger on an internet forum how they feel about anything. How ludicrous.[/quote]

Exactly ... I CHOOSE to live where I do because I love what each season has to offer. I dont like the extremes, but where I live they dont happen often .. I lived in So Cal for years, and as I stated before, the weather got on my nerves after a while ... too stagnant.

Old 01-20-2016, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Every other northerner on this forum has regurgitated that line ad nauseum, and it's pretty ridiculous. If you can get down to shorts and flip flops but still be uncomfortable, you're most likely dehydrated. And as I said in my previous post, dehydration is the main cause of problems in the heat.

Staying comfortable in the cold requires that you have the resources needed for all of those layers and other methods of warming up. Many people do not have this. It's the cold weather that claims the lives of hundreds of homeless individuals every year.
And in Philadelphia, during one brutal summer in the 90s, over 300 people died from heat.

Speaking personally drinking plenty of water doesn't change how heat make me feel.

Old 01-20-2016, 07:05 AM

7,528 posts, read 10,262,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mvpsharky View Post
you dont get sick because of cold weather... you get sick from viruses . More people die in the heat than from cold weather. Also the cold provides relief from allergies.
There are all those mosquito-borne diseases which flourish in hot weather. There's a reason why malaria, Ebola, dengue, west Nile, encephalitis, yellow fever and now Zika plague warmer environs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.