Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2013, 05:54 PM

6,083 posts, read 10,693,806 times

Advertisements

Just thought I should make a thread because the Dallas vs DC one got off track.

Do people only move to cities like Atlanta, Dallas, and Houston for the low cost of living? I personally feel like that people do, but there are other reasons. They offer just as much as cities like Seattle, San Diego, LA, SF, Philly, Boston, and NYC...just without the scenery, right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2013, 06:28 PM

93,197 posts, read 123,783,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mezter View Post

Do people only move to cities like Atlanta, Dallas, and Houston for the low cost of living? I personally feel like that people do, but there are other reasons. They offer just as much as cities like Seattle, San Diego, LA, SF, Philly, Boston, and NYC...just without the scenery, right?
What those lower COL cities may lack is decent public transportation, perhaps quicker access to that scenery, more in terms of walkability and have access to good water/various modes of transportation.

Old 12-29-2013, 06:37 PM

2,322 posts, read 2,990,420 times
Quote:

Not exactly...Places like NYC, LA & Chicago pretty much have more of everything like shopping, restaurants, amenities, and different types of neighborhoods. It's not necessarily that Atlanta, Dallas, & Houston don't have any of these things in spades, but independent boutiques, hole in the wall restaurants & the overall culture of the city is just not as abundant.

There is something to be said about living in a city with a lower cost of living. Not everybody wants or needs things that big cities can provide because low COL cities provide exactly enough for that individual person. It's just that the most popular cities to live in tend to be the most expensive.

Old 12-29-2013, 10:05 PM

7,743 posts, read 15,864,026 times
Quote:

That's mean, LOL. No, there's scenery to be found anywhere if one's willing to look. Now, whether it's your cup of tea.... eh, too subjective.

Dallas and Houston have booming economies, and Atlanta isn't doing too badly-- people will move to where the money is. The low COL is a boon usually.

It's a false premise, however, to automatically assume that high COL = high QOL. The only time that equation will ever always be 100% true is if we're talking about well-off, wealthy, rich folks. For lower to middle class folks living in high COL cities, some might be willing to make a lot of sacrifices-- others not so much. Cities like Dallas, Houston and Atlanta do have great amenities to offer.

Old 12-29-2013, 10:15 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,496,781 times
Quote:

Ummm.... no, maybe as much as Seattle and San Diego..

Old 12-30-2013, 07:08 AM

23,447 posts, read 44,050,291 times
Quote:

Why do you presume that these cities lack scenery? Because they don't.
Ill let Dallas and Houston posters defend their own cities, but Atlanta is verdant and hilly with a gorgeous array of parks. No city is more beautiful in the Spring.

Old 12-30-2013, 09:44 AM

12,384 posts, read 28,496,781 times
Yeah Atlanta and area actually has quite a bit of scenery and great parkspace, it's just not urban/walkable enough for what I like. It would be hard not to rank Atlanta near the top of most places big cities East of the Mississippi for nice environs and accessibility.

Old 12-30-2013, 09:56 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,853,687 times
Quote:

Do you really think that most people move to those cities ONLY because of the low cost of living?

Many people LIKE the South - they like the weather, the people, the food, AND the low cost of living. They like a more laid back feel to a city.

Also, there's lots of pleasant scenery in close proximity to all the southern cities you mentioned.

Old 12-30-2013, 12:36 PM

23,447 posts, read 44,050,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Do you really think that most people move to those cities ONLY because of the low cost of living?

Many people LIKE the South - they like the weather, the people, the food, AND the low cost of living. They like a more laid back feel to a city.

Also, there's lots of pleasant scenery in close proximity to all the southern cities you mentioned.
And the girls are prettier and keep their roots up. Right, Kathryn?

Old 12-30-2013, 12:53 PM

5,993 posts, read 10,182,497 times
No, but it's strongly correlated.

Some would argue that Minneapolis, Denver, Chicago, and even Cleveland, St. Louis or Pittsburgh have high QOL, yet have lower costs. Chicago is the best example of where QOL and COL have almost no relationship -- I'd proffer that to the immense amount of open space in the area and its transportation network. The highest COL places are not always THE best places to live, either. I'd argue very strongly that a number of the most expensive cities in the country are far down the QOL ladder, especially in respect to their COL, but even without that relationship.

One more thing: places that are expensive today are expensive because they are desirable, but they are not desirable because they are expensive. In other words, whichever "it" city today is popular is going to cost more than it might during a down-cycle period for the city, but the amenities available and QOL may be the same (just look at most Rust Belt cities). As costs rise, the demand WILL drop/stabilize. The quality:cost relationship is ever-evolving, especially with things as large and complex as entire cities, and changes take years/decades.

Last edited by Min-Chi-Cbus; 12-30-2013 at 01:01 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.