Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2014, 09:28 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
My daughter spent six months in Chengdu, in the Szechuan Province in Central China. Chengdu is China's fourth-largest city.

She became a vegetarian while she was there because she saw too much of what the Chinese eat (she sent home a picture of a Chinese food cart with fried scorpion on a stick).

Late at night coming home from clubs she and her friends would stop at McDonald's to get fries. There were street carts at 4 a.m., but she knew she was eating potatoes.
DH spent 10 days in China and frequented one of many Beijing McDonald's frequently for the same reasons. He said the meats there are all well-disguised with coatings, etc, and he didn't know what he was eating.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeSides View Post
I fondly recall when McDonald's was a a special treat! It certainly wasn't something that we ate often at all. IIRC, the food was good back then. In fact, I think that as children, we were more stoked about the toy that was in the Happy Meal. McDonald's had cool commercials and characters back then, also. Perhaps they still do. We don't have cable.

I wanted to chime in. The question has been satisfactorily answered.
I recall when my town got its first McDonald's sometime when I was in high school. Yes, the lifestyle then was that one ate out less, and going there was a treat. I don't think the food was necessarily any better. I like the Filet o Fish sandwiches; probably have one once a month or so. They also have "senior coffee" for people over 55, 49c plus tax for a small coffee. I get that several X a week.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2014, 09:43 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,944,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kranium View Post
It is cheaper to eat unhealthy then it is to eat healthy.
I disagree. It's EASIER but not cheaper.

Old 02-03-2014, 09:57 AM

1,485 posts, read 2,253,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I disagree. It's EASIER but not cheaper.
I gotta disagree with that.

It's easier, AND cheaper.

You can get a whole meal at Mickey D's for about five bucks. A crappy meal, but a meal just the same.

Grocery stores are ridiculously expensive. For instance, Publix is a huge chain down South, but is horrendously overpriced. For that same five bucks you'll probably be lucky to get a medium-sized sack of apples. Wally World is more reasonable, but I also think the quality of some of their products (meats and occasionally produce) leaves something to be desired.

Cooking a single meal can cost as much as $20. It's not so bad if you have a decent-sized family to feed, but more and more people live by themselves so it's an incredible waste of time and money to cook something and only a relatively small portion of it actually gets eaten. You can get pre-packaged meals for $3-5 (mac & cheese, frozen TV dinners, etc), but is that really all that much better than McDonald's?

FWIW, I dislike Mickey D's and try and avoid it like the plague. Whenever I eat any of their sandwiches I feel the grease sliding down my gut... just a horrid feeling.

Old 02-03-2014, 10:01 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,992,173 times
People are obedient, and a huge amount of money is spent telling people to eat at McDonalds. People do what they're told.

Old 02-03-2014, 10:04 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,944,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fezzador View Post

You can get a whole meal at Mickey D's for about five bucks. A crappy meal, but a meal just the same.

Grocery stores are ridiculously expensive. For instance, Publix is a huge chain down South, but is horrendously overpriced. For that same five bucks you'll probably be lucky to get a medium-sized sack of apples. Wally World is more reasonable, but I also think the quality of some of their products (meats and occasionally produce) leaves something to be desired.

Cooking a single meal can cost as much as $20. It's not so bad if you have a decent-sized family to feed, but more and more people live by themselves so it's an incredible waste of time and money to cook something and only a relatively small portion of it actually gets eaten. You can get pre-packaged meals for $3-5 (mac & cheese, frozen TV dinners, etc), but is that really all that much better than McDonald's?

FWIW, I dislike Mickey D's and try and avoid it like the plague. Whenever I eat any of their sandwiches I feel the grease sliding down my gut... just a horrid feeling.
I was very poor for several years running. I know it's cheaper to cook at home than it is to buy food at fast food restaurants regularly.

You can't look at a single meal - you have to look at the savings over time.

Old 02-03-2014, 10:38 AM

11,289 posts, read 26,205,471 times
It's not like everyone eats it. I mean it's just cheap fatty garbage food. I'll only eat it at the airport when I'm going through and my family and friends never eat there. Maybe once or twice a year.

I think a lot of people do just cause its a habit for them.

Old 02-03-2014, 11:10 AM

8,975 posts, read 10,215,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
Isn't it a good thing that there is disclosure and you can find out just what's in what's in the food? Just think, not long ago we weren't able to do that. Now people can and make their own choices. What a great age in which we live!
Yeah, it's available, but how many people are going to research what exactly is in McDonald's food on their website and whether it's good or bad before they go? And it's not like the information is apparent on the menu when you go through the drive through. I wouldn't have even thought twice about what McDonald's puts in its food until I saw the documentary about the guy who went on a McDonald's diet for six weeks and developed all sorts of health problems. Can't remember the name of it at the moment. So I really don't think people "know what they're getting" most of the time. Or, they just don't care.

Old 02-03-2014, 11:26 AM

3,755 posts, read 4,802,896 times
It's pretty simple, McDonalds by and large is fast and affordable for everyone.

The funny, or sad (whichever way you want to look at it) thing is that a lot of people view McDonalds as being crap food, while they have zero issues eating at various other fast food type establishments that can be just as bad.

Old 02-03-2014, 11:43 AM

12,384 posts, read 28,521,087 times
You like it more than me. Haven't eaten there since I was a kid.

Old 02-03-2014, 11:47 AM

12,384 posts, read 28,521,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fezzador View Post

Apples would be a better meal than anything from McDonald's. Publix is overpriced? Maybe you should look at the food you are eating and learn to actually cook. It doesn't take that long. People are just lazy. Even if you buy all your food at whole foods (not prepared food mind you), it is still cheaper than eating out. Eating Fast food should not be an option, you are basically killing yourself slowly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.