Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2014, 08:00 AM

14,353 posts, read 17,030,476 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Get thee to the Pittsburgh forum. They spend loads of time arguing about the weather there, and it does rain a lot there.
Pittsburgh is one of the most overcast cities in the country, but it doesn't get any more rain than anywhere else in the Northeast. Plenty of days the sky is overcast and gleaming white but you don't get a single drop of precipitation.

Total number of rainy days per year are around 152 - which is similar to (but slightly less than) the Pacific Northwest. However, many of these days are in the winter, and come as snow (often flurries or minor accumulations). From July to October it rains only around ten days a month.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2014, 08:18 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
Pittsburgh is one of the most overcast cities in the country, but it doesn't get any more rain than anywhere else in the Northeast. Plenty of days the sky is overcast and gleaming white but you don't get a single drop of precipitation.

Total number of rainy days per year are around 152 - which is similar to (but slightly less than) the Pacific Northwest. However, many of these days are in the winter, and come as snow (often flurries or minor accumulations). From July to October it rains only around ten days a month.
So 1/3 of the time instead of 1/2 of the time from July to Oct.

The US average for precip days is 100. Pittsburgh has 50% more days of precip than the national average.
Denver's average precip days is 78, many of which are also snow. That is 78% of the national average. (For comparison purposes)
Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

Philadelphia has fewer precip days:
Average Weather For Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA - WeatherSpark
During the warm season, which lasts from May 30 to September 16, there is a 41% average chance that precipitation will be observed at some point during a given day. When precipitation does occur it is most often in the form of light rain (34% of days with precipitation have at worst light rain), thunderstorms (26%), moderate rain (25%), and heavy rain (12%).

During the cold season, which lasts from December 3 to March 6, there is a 46% average chance that precipitation will be observed at some point during a given day. When precipitation does occur it is most often in the form of light rain (26% of days with precipitation have at worst light rain), light snow (23%), moderate rain (22%), and moderate snow (14%).

Pittsburgh (same website):
Average Weather For West Mifflin, Pennsylvania, USA - WeatherSpark
During the warm season, which lasts from May 25 to September 18, there is a 50% average chance that precipitation will be observed at some point during a given day. When precipitation does occur it is most often in the form of thunderstorms (38% of days with precipitation have at worst thunderstorms), light rain (36%), and moderate rain (20%).

During the cold season, which lasts from December 2 to February 29, there is a 73% average chance that precipitation will be observed at some point during a given day. When precipitation does occur it is most often in the form of light snow (54% of days with precipitation have at worst light snow), light rain (18%), moderate snow (12%), and moderate rain (9%).

New York:
Average Weather For New York, USA - WeatherSpark
During the warm season, which lasts from June 4 to September 15, there is a 39% average chance that precipitation will be observed at some point during a given day. When precipitation does occur it is most often in the form of light rain (43% of days with precipitation have at worst light rain), moderate rain (26%), thunderstorms (15%), and heavy rain (10%).

During the cold season, which lasts from December 5 to March 13, there is a 46% average chance that precipitation will be observed at some point during a given day. When precipitation does occur it is most often in the form of light snow (31% of days with precipitation have at worst light snow), light rain (25%), moderate rain (18%), and moderate snow (12%).

Quite a difference!

Denver (same site):
]During the warm season, which lasts from June 11 to September 11, there is a 44% average chance that precipitation will be observed at some point during a given day. When precipitation does occur it is most often in the form of thunderstorms (77% of days with precipitation have at worst thunderstorms), light rain (14%), and moderate rain (6%).

During the cold season, which lasts from November 20 to March 6, there is a 25% average chance that precipitation will be observed at some point during a given day. When precipitation does occur it is most often in the form of light snow (74% of days with precipitation have at worst light snow), moderate snow (15%), and light rain (5%).

Last edited by Yac; 02-13-2014 at 07:06 AM..

Old 02-06-2014, 08:29 AM

All I can say is I grew up in Connecticut and went to school in Western Massachusetts, and while it is a bit rainier here, it's really not that notable. And I'm someone who bikes to work through most of the warm season, so I pay pretty close attention to the weather on a day-to-day basis.

Regardless, the main point was about humidity. To the OP, there isn't a huge variance in average humidity in the East. It feels worse in the South due to the greater heat, but really the difference in southern versus northern cities is pretty minor.

Old 02-06-2014, 08:46 AM

1,214 posts, read 1,696,185 times
Well here in Florida it will rain once every day really hard (especially in the summer) but it will be gone in about an hour. This usually occurs every afternoon with thunder storms.

It's nice and pleasent most of the year. Summers can be brutally hot and muggy, especially inland Florida. But I would take Florida Summers over the Norths winters anyday.

I've been to Portland Oregon before and I didn't care for it. Way too cold and Grey, it's depressing. Which is why suicide is so high in that region.

Old 02-06-2014, 11:14 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
All I can say is I grew up in Connecticut and went to school in Western Massachusetts, and while it is a bit rainier here, it's really not that notable. And I'm someone who bikes to work through most of the warm season, so I pay pretty close attention to the weather on a day-to-day basis.

Regardless, the main point was about humidity. To the OP, there isn't a huge variance in average humidity in the East. It feels worse in the South due to the greater heat, but really the difference in southern versus northern cities is pretty minor.
I noticed a big difference between Pittsburgh and Champaign, IL when I moved there.
Average Weather For Savoy, Illinois, USA - WeatherSpark

OP, I'd take a look at some weather stats.

Old 02-06-2014, 11:17 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,356,551 times
In the northeast and the east in general, the precipitation is more evenly distributed throughout the year and ranges from mist and drizzle to torrential downpours during thunderstorms. There is no distinct dry season/wet season cycle.

While Seattle and Portland get 30 - 40 inches/year, it arrives during a consitent, but usually light misty rainfall over the cooler Wintern months. Although eastern cities like New York and Atlanta get 45 -50 inches/year, You can get 2 -3 inches of rain in a couple days, then a week of bright sunshine, then another couple days of heavy rain, and so forth in almost any given month of the year.

Old 02-06-2014, 12:21 PM

Quote:
I noticed a big difference between Pittsburgh and Champaign, IL when I moved there.
Average Weather For Savoy, Illinois, USA - WeatherSpark
The map shows that Central IL/IN are significantly dryer than most anywhere else that far east, so I'm not surprised.

This list shows relative annual humidity by city. Sorting from high to low.

76 Jacksonville, Florida
76 New Orleans, Louisiana

75 Houston, Texas

74 Orlando, Florida
74 San Francisco, California
74 Tampa, Florida

73 Miami, Florida
73 Portland, Oregon
73 Rochester, New York
73 Seattle, Washington

72 Buffalo, New York
72 Indianapolis, Indiana
72 Milwaukee, Wisconsin

71 Cleveland, Ohio
71 Detroit, Michigan
71 Los Angeles, California

70 Birmingham, Alabama
70 Chicago, Illinois
70 Cincinnati, Ohio
70 Columbus, Ohio
70 Nashville, Tennessee
70 Raleigh, North Carolina
70 Richmond, Virginia
70 St. Louis, Missouri

69 Louisville, Kentucky
69 San Diego, California
69 Virginia Beach, Virginia

68 Kansas City, Missouri
68 Minneapolis, Minnesota
68 Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
68 Providence, Rhode Island

67 Austin, Texas
67 Boston, Massachusetts
67 Charlotte, North Carolina
67 Memphis, Tennessee
67 Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
67 Sacramento, California
67 San Antonio, Texas

66 Baltimore, Maryland
66 Hartford, Connecticut

65 Dallas, Texas
65 Oklahoma City, Oklahoma

64 Washington, DC

63 New York, New York

55 Salt Lake City, Utah

52 Denver, Colorado

37 Phoenix, Arizona

30 Las Vegas, Nevada

With the exception of interior Western metros, there isn't that much variation in humidity. Most cities are between 65% and 75%. The East Coast does tend to be a bit dryer than cities around the Great Lakes however.

Old 02-06-2014, 08:46 PM

22 posts, read 20,290 times
Seattle is the most rainy city in the US.

Old 02-06-2014, 10:12 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,485,386 times
Quote:
I used to live in upstate NY, in area that was probably similar sunshine-wise to Pittsburgh, perhaps lsightly sunnier. The sunshine difference was very noticeable, especially in the winter. Driving up from downstate NY, the clouds often came somewhere just around or before the Catskills.

As for precipitation days, the Pacific Northwest would stand out if you look at precipitation hours. The drizzle of the Pacific Northwest lasts a while compared to the harder but briefer rain even if the days are similar.

Quote:
I'd disagree. Going up north from Maryland along the coast to northern New England the humidity cuts off. We're capable of the same humidity but it's not that constant. NYC/Long Island gets some breaks, down to DC few. I remember going down to near Baltimore for a wedding in August. It was really sticky. Back home, nowhere near as humid, but almost as hot. Average dew points:

Springfield, MA: 58-67
Washington, DC: 63-72

Maybe not huge, but enough to go from tolerable to uncomfortable.

Old 02-06-2014, 10:30 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,485,386 times
Quote:
Denver (same site):
]During the warm season, which lasts from June 11 to September 11, there is a 44% average chance that precipitation will be observed at some point during a given day. When precipitation does occur it is most often in the form of thunderstorms (77% of days with precipitation have at worst thunderstorms), light rain (14%), and moderate rain (6%).

During the cold season, which lasts from November 20 to March 6, there is a 25% average chance that precipitation will be observed at some point during a given day. When precipitation does occur it is most often in the form of light snow (74% of days with precipitation have at worst light snow), moderate snow (15%), and light rain (5%).
Weird to me that Denver is more likely to get precipitation in the warm season, though it makes sense considering its location, just a pattern different from what I'm used to. Sunshine maps:

http://www.lib.utexas.edu/maps/natio...0/ca000072.jpg

http://www.lib.utexas.edu/maps/natio...0/ca000073.jpg

Hours of precipitation:

Average Hours of Measurable Precipitation - Western Regional Climate Center (WRCC)

Unfortunately, I can't find any data on hours of precipitation. I posted this link on the weather forum, where some posters from NW Europe had data on hand for their location. While NW Europe is actually somewhat cloudier than the Pacific NW, many location have much less hours of precipitation, many places half of the large Pacific NW cities (London gets less than half of Portland despite being quite a bit cloudier). I doubt the eastern US could have more than hours of rain than NW Europe, so much less than the Pacific NW.

The Eastern US is also prone to many hour-long spells of heavy rain, though less so in winter. You might get a day when it rains all day then many sunny days, plus a day when it rains for an hour than stops and is partly to mostly cloudy the rest of the time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.