Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2013, 09:43 PM

10 posts, read 38,930 times

Advertisements

I was born and raised in Central California (Stockton-area), but crime has taken over what was once a nice farming area. The bottom line is I no longer feel safe and happy here. I hope someone can offer me some suggestions on where to go.

I'm looking for somewhere that has low crime and nice atmosphere. I am single and work as a teacher. I would like to stay in the western US. I have been thinking about maybe Arizona, Colorado or Utah, but I am open to any other suggestions.

Thank you for anyone who can offer any ideas or suggestions on towns or states that are nice places to live.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2013, 10:18 PM

1,370 posts, read 3,055,740 times
No wonder you want to leave, Central Valley is the pits. Just because Stockton sucks doesn't mean all of California is bad. We are a big state.
Why not go to the Bay Area just to the west?

But if you really want to leave this state, those places sound good. But would you fancy giving more specific criteria.

Old 02-11-2013, 10:20 PM
PDF

11,396 posts, read 13,427,706 times
Have you considered the Pacific Northwest since you don't want to leave the West coast? Portland or Seattle, or somewhere like Eugene, OR if you want to live somewhere smaller.

Old 02-11-2013, 10:51 PM

I actually lived in the Bay Area for a short time and it just wasn't my thing. It was also too expensive on my salary. The school I worked at in Richmond was in a dangerous area, but it was the only place I could get a job. I have considered going further north in the state, although I have not had a chance to visit many different towns. I have considered the Pacific Northwest. I spent a summer working in Seattle and loved it. I've only driven through Oregon, but it was very lovely. The only problem with Oregon and Washington is that it is extremely hard to get a teaching job there. That is the only thing holding me back. I'm looking for a town that has a small-town feel, but it could be a large town. I guess another thing I am looking for is someplace that I would not be looked down at for not speaking Spanish, which is often the case in Stockton.

Thanks again for any suggestions you can offer.

Old 02-11-2013, 11:16 PM

1,016 posts, read 2,980,470 times
Why don't you come 2 the Phoenix area like a lot of other ex Californians?

Old 02-11-2013, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teach123abc View Post
I actually lived in the Bay Area for a short time and it just wasn't my thing. It was also too expensive on my salary. The school I worked at in Richmond was in a dangerous area, but it was the only place I could get a job. I have considered going further north in the state, although I have not had a chance to visit many different towns. I have considered the Pacific Northwest. I spent a summer working in Seattle and loved it. I've only driven through Oregon, but it was very lovely. The only problem with Oregon and Washington is that it is extremely hard to get a teaching job there. That is the only thing holding me back. I'm looking for a town that has a small-town feel, but it could be a large town. I guess another thing I am looking for is someplace that I would not be looked down at for not speaking Spanish, which is often the case in Stockton.

Thanks again for any suggestions you can offer.
Many cities in Oregon have a big-small town feel, even Portland. Shame it would be hard for you to get a job, but I suggest you try.
Look into the smaller cities in Washington as well (Bellingham, Olympia, Everett, etc)

Old 02-12-2013, 06:49 AM

27,231 posts, read 43,971,352 times
Salt Lake City has a very low unemployment rate, is pretty safe and has a low cost of living. Another one probably not on your radar worth considering is Omaha. It's surprisingly nice and is basically a boomtown with a crazy low unemployment rate (4%) and the livability qualities you're looking for.

Old 02-12-2013, 10:33 AM

4,108 posts, read 10,806,863 times
For a high quality of life, the Bay Area just to your west is a great option. But, then you said that you worked in Richmond (a bad area) and the cost of living is very high, and that's true. I also find people from the Bay Area to be, tied with parts of the west side of L.A., the most arrogant and surly people in California. Just not very friendly. But, it sure is beautiful and you have a world-class city at your fingertips with another hidden gem of a city (Oakland) right there. You just have to find your niche.

Have you considered the Inland Empire of Southern California? It gets hot in the summer time, but then so do Phoenix and Vegas. The cost of living is cheaper than on the coast, but you have all the amenities of L.A., Santa Barbara, O.C., S.D., Big Bear, and the desert very or fairly close-by. Parts of L.A. like Koreatown, Mid-Wilshire, Burbank, Sherman Oaks, and Culver City might surprise you in affordability, at least compared to the Bay Area, but you have to decide whether you want to live in L.A.

If you're going to leave California, though, I think those choices sound pretty good. I'd also consider Texas.

Last edited by EclecticEars; 02-12-2013 at 11:13 AM..

Old 02-12-2013, 06:02 PM

Thank you for all of your suggestions. I will take a closer look at all of the suggested cities. Arizona sounds extremely promising in getting a job. I have never been to Phoenix only Flagstaff and the Grand Canyon area. My biggest concern about Phoenix is that it will be too similar to Central California. Perhaps that is not the case at all.

Thanks again and keep the suggestions coming.

Old 02-12-2013, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teach123abc View Post
Thank you for all of your suggestions. I will take a closer look at all of the suggested cities. Arizona sounds extremely promising in getting a job. I have never been to Phoenix only Flagstaff and the Grand Canyon area. My biggest concern about Phoenix is that it will be too similar to Central California. Perhaps that is not the case at all.

Thanks again and keep the suggestions coming.
If you don't want a 5 month long summer, then stay out of Phoenix (or anywhere on the i-10 corridor really).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.