Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-18-2014, 10:46 PM

6 posts, read 6,943 times

Advertisements

Okay, right now, I am studying for a teaching degree and living in Southern Australia. However, I have always had hopes of moving overseas for a few years once I finish my degree, and I have begun to think about it more and more. Europe and the United States are two places I am passionate about. I am also looking at adopting from Europe (Bulgaria/Czech Republic/Croatia) when the times comes (as it's usual ruled that you must 25 or over,) so I would considered moving back there near family in the future; but adoption costs grow exponentially there. I know it's costly either way, it's just the cost comparison between US and Australia is much closer. So with the current state of adoption within Australia, it seems near impossible to adopt from Europe here, well unless you have dual citizenship in Lithuania. At least at this time, maybe in the future, but I'd like to evaluate my options all the same.

Anyway, so while that isn't my only reason for considering relocating to the United States, its also something I am considering. Another reason is because there are many places in the US I would like to see, and it would give me the opportunity to work and travel while I am a bit younger. I'd like to get a working visa and find a permanent placement in a local middle/high school.

The areas of the US that appeal to me are Southern states (FL, GA and SC, mostly) and Eastern States, such as Maine, Massachusetts, Rhode Island and Connecticut. I also have a minor affinity for New Jersey. Admittedly, where I live the weather is always dry, very hot in summer and it barely ever snows. But I am not too bothered by weather, I know if I move I'll eventually get use to, like everything it'd take time.

So basically what I am looking for is a location that functions well for a relatively young person/couple to work and live in. Ideally, a suburb just outside of the city with some charm be it Victorian or otherwise, and a nice community atmosphere - I'd prefer it to have some small town charm; but not too small. Assuming it'd be on a budget, nothing too costly, and easy in regards to transportation. The only other ideal stipulation I have is somewhere that isn't completely land-locked, so some nice rivers or a view of the ocean would be great.

Other than, that is where my experience ends, I have read a few other post that mention the crime rates in Florida and New Jersey as quite bad. I also saw another one mentioning RI as having the highest rate of unemployment in the United States. But I am open to anything you, all can suggest, and I shall look into them accordingly. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2014, 09:05 AM

16,075 posts, read 21,154,079 times
I don't really have any city recommendations but I do think that if one of your main goals is to travel in the states you might want to think about staying more centrally located, maybe in the mid-atlantic or mid-south states. If you move to Florida for instance, pretty much everywhere you want to visit is going to be a fair distance away.
Also it might be good to give a general idea of what you consider 'too small'. I think of a city of a half million people as large while others here think of that same city as small, very much a matter of perception, so it would be helpful to know your view.

Old 03-19-2014, 08:56 PM

6 posts, read 6,943 times
Thanks for your comment DubbleT, when I say to small I mean, a community of less than few thousand at that point things often start to get quite cliquey, I am restricted in regards to having experienced that; but that's often what's said. Which does makes sense.

So you suggest either somewhere in the Mid-Atlantic e.g. Pennsylvania, Maryland, New York or New Jersey or Mid-South so Tennessee, Mississippi or Alabama? (I know that's not all of them, I am just kind of trying to get the gist of that area via google!)

Old 03-19-2014, 10:19 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,929,063 times
If you're wanting to experience life in the south AND explore the country at leisure, Atlanta is a pretty good place to be based. You're centrally located in the SE part of the country and a reasonable (few hours) drives to several major population centers, including Washington DC, Orlando, Miami and New Orleans, as well as small towns, mountains, beaches and historic cities like Savannah, Charleston and Asheville.

The best thing about being in Atlanta, however, is having access to Hartsfield-Jackson International Airport, which is the largest in the country and busiest in the world. From there, it's a cheap 2-hour flight to 80 percent of the population of the United States.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.