Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2014, 11:44 PM

1,153 posts, read 4,559,734 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by spicymeatball View Post
I don't think so really. The rural west coast is pretty much the same as the rural inland West, and the few large cities the inland West has like Denver and SLC are pretty similar to the west coast cities. A lot of parts of inland northern California could easily pass for Montana or Wyoming.
Agreed. I might add, speaking as a former resident of Montana, I've seen left-leaning Montanans really rip into the South as an inferior region. And one of my friends in San Francisco refers to the people of South Boston as 'nautical rednecks'... lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2014, 11:58 PM

854 posts, read 1,482,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYMTman View Post
Agreed. I might add, speaking as a former resident of Montana, I've seen left-leaning Montanans really rip into the South as an inferior region. And one of my friends in San Francisco refers to the people of South Boston as 'nautical rednecks'... lol.
Yeah I think westerners are especially snobby about southerners. They seem somewhat more accepting of northeasterners, seeing them as being more enlightened than Southerners and Midwesterners.

I just think this whole idea westerners are so chill and accepting is somewhat false. You could just as easily claim they are unmotivated, self-righteous and indifferent. Aside from the tech industry in California and Washington the West really doesn't produce anything of value. There's plenty of progressive places in the eastern US like Iowa City, Asheville, Ann Arbor, Ithaca, Boston, and so on and honestly being "progressive" isn't the end all be all. I'm very leftist myself but some conservatives are lovely people.

Old 03-26-2014, 12:46 AM

4,156 posts, read 5,564,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacknwhiterose View Post
Good to know! We don't need attitudes like yours over here.
I wouldn't want to disturb you and your fellow "down to earth" neighbors in your precatory prayer session as you eagerly await natural disater to be visited upon another region.

Imagine if I said somthing similar about tornadoes. I'm sure Midwesterners would be cool with that.

Old 03-26-2014, 07:08 AM

11,669 posts, read 17,953,214 times
Quote:
Yeah I think westerners are especially snobby about southerners. They seem somewhat more accepting of northeasterners, seeing them as being more enlightened than Southerners and Midwesterners.

I just think this whole idea westerners are so chill and accepting is somewhat false. You could just as easily claim they are unmotivated, self-righteous and indifferent. Aside from the tech industry in California and Washington the West really doesn't produce anything of value. There's plenty of progressive places in the eastern US like Iowa City, Asheville, Ann Arbor, Ithaca, Boston, and so on and honestly being "progressive" isn't the end all be all. I'm very leftist myself but some conservatives are lovely people.
I agree. It seems like the progressive enclaves out west are restricted to only three areas: Seattle, Portland and SF. But back east, they're scattered all over the place, some small, some large, whether it's Northampton, MA or DC.

Old 03-26-2014, 07:54 AM

451 posts, read 465,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nslander View Post
I wouldn't want to disturb you and your fellow "down to earth" neighbors in your precatory prayer session as you eagerly await natural disater to be visited upon another region.

Imagine if I said somthing similar about tornadoes. I'm sure Midwesterners would be cool with that.
Well, we don't really get tornadoes in Chicago northshore, but thank you for playing.

Last edited by blacknwhiterose; 03-26-2014 at 08:06 AM..

Old 03-26-2014, 08:06 AM

10,753 posts, read 23,828,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
I agree. It seems like the progressive enclaves out west are restricted to only three areas: Seattle, Portland and SF. But back east, they're scattered all over the place, some small, some large, whether it's Northampton, MA or DC.
You are so dead wrong on this, it's downright foolish and naive. Seriously get real nep. This is what happens when someone starts a thread based on the premise of trolling, you get trite, uninformed, and false statements like this and sweeping generalizations usually on both sides of the argument. We got scattered small and large progressive enclaves in the West too. Even in the interior, just to name a few..

Denver, CO
Boulder, CO
Durango, CO
Telluride, CO
Santa Fe, NM
Taos, NM
Park City, UT
Flagstaff, AZ
Sedona, AZ
Tucson, AZ
and too many to count on the west coast.

And since you so often bring up homosexuality in several threads, even little towns like Moab, UT and Gallup, NM have gay pride events. Yeah... who'd have thunk?

Last edited by Champ le monstre du lac; 03-26-2014 at 08:53 AM..

Old 03-26-2014, 09:02 AM

18,982 posts, read 32,663,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
Also, I have found CA people (from SD specifically) to be very reserved and chill. They're very friendly. But many of them are rather unmotivated about life in general. Having an in depth intellectual conversation with them is just......ugh. It's like talking to a wall sometimes. Maybe SF people are different.
Well if you come off in person like you come off on here I can definitely see why someone would immediately put up a wall. I'm really curious to what qualifies as an "in depth intellectual conversation" with you based on your posts on this site lol.

Old 03-26-2014, 09:14 AM

14,164 posts, read 27,231,957 times
Quote:

I wouldn't say I'm "snobby" about everywhere back East. I just don't care much for it. And I've been to 48/50 states and every major city in the U.S., so I'm not just judging places I've never experienced. I'd say I truly dislike the South (other than Florida) and even lived there for a couple years, but that's because I don't like the "in your face" religion, the accents, the weather, the racism, unhealthy food, etc. But I still enjoy visiting Atlanta.

I just prefer mountains and a sunny, drier climate. That's why I like the West. If/when we leave Denver, it will be to move back to SoCal. To me, the culture in LA/Denver (or any other Western city) is the same. We're more casual, wear jeans to work and flip flops to the store, and have more of a "live and let live" attitude. That's why I prefer the West.

Old 03-26-2014, 09:17 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Are westerners "snobby" about the east?

No more so than easterners are about the west. "Buncha bums, dressing like that", etc.

Old 03-26-2014, 09:46 AM

11,669 posts, read 17,953,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
I wouldn't say I'm "snobby" about everywhere back East. I just don't care much for it. And I've been to 48/50 states and every major city in the U.S., so I'm not just judging places I've never experienced. I'd say I truly dislike the South (other than Florida) and even lived there for a couple years, but that's because I don't like the "in your face" religion, the accents, the weather, the racism, unhealthy food, etc. But I still enjoy visiting Atlanta.

I just prefer mountains and a sunny, drier climate. That's why I like the West. If/when we leave Denver, it will be to move back to SoCal. To me, the culture in LA/Denver (or any other Western city) is the same. We're more casual, wear jeans to work and flip flops to the store, and have more of a "live and let live" attitude. That's why I prefer the West.
Ewww I don't like that mentality lol. I prefer to wear dress pants and dress shoes to work. Gotta show some professionalism, ya know?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.