Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2014, 05:28 AM

8,632 posts, read 13,000,665 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcave360 View Post
Umm, that was not me.
Yeah I know. I just thought her post was funny.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2014, 07:14 AM

41,959 posts, read 75,192,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcave360 View Post
Lol what the hell is this? Is there something you can't simply fathom with the meaning of "gateway"?
No, I can't fathom ridiculous arbitrary labels that have no bearing on reality.

Old 04-24-2014, 09:12 AM

27,566 posts, read 28,665,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVA_guy View Post
The huge number of people who moved here for the job market would probably be in Richmond.
Okay, what is so special about Richmond? How is it affected by the existence or nonexistence of Washington, D.C. 100 miles to the north?

Seems to me that Richmond would be the same city today either way - i.e., the capital of Virginia with about 1 million people in its metro area.

Old 04-24-2014, 09:41 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,977,099 times
There is no reason why Baltimore or Richmond would be any bigger than they are now, since neither is influenced by the proximity to DC. Driving from Richmond to Baltimore would be pretty much like driving from Richmond to Raleigh-Durham, with maybe a city the size of Annapolis or Hagerstown on the Potomac -- probably Alexandria, Virginia. Whatever city had the National Capital would have a population a million or two larger, to accommodate federal workers.

Old 04-24-2014, 11:51 AM

12,870 posts, read 22,026,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lammius View Post
Baltimore would be bigger than it is now, and perhaps Alexandria would have more of a unique identity as its own city, something on the order of Savannah or Charleston.
This is what I was thinking too.

I think you'd see increased size and influence mostly in Baltimore, but also noticeable differences in Philadelphia, Annapolis, and Alexandria. Richmond's cultural and economic influence may be larger as well since there wouldn't be nearly as much development and growth in NOVA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
Okay, what is so special about Richmond? How is it affected by the existence or nonexistence of Washington, D.C. 100 miles to the north?
I don't think it's unreasonable to believe that if you take the seat of federal government and the millions of people living and working in that city and suburbs out of the picture, Richmond may see even a small shift in development patterns over the centuries, do you? Yes, it's 100 miles, but the DC area is one of the most significant population and employment centers for the people of Virginia. If you completely eliminate that population and employment center, I think Virginia develops differently and more growth is centered around Richmond. Does it become like Atlanta or Charlotte? Probably not. But it would probably be larger and more influential than it is today.

Old 04-24-2014, 02:57 PM

27,566 posts, read 28,665,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
I don't think it's unreasonable to believe that if you take the seat of federal government and the millions of people living and working in that city and suburbs out of the picture, Richmond may see even a small shift in development patterns over the centuries, do you? Yes, it's 100 miles, but the DC area is one of the most significant population and employment centers for the people of Virginia. If you completely eliminate that population and employment center, I think Virginia develops differently and more growth is centered around Richmond. Does it become like Atlanta or Charlotte? Probably not. But it would probably be larger and more influential than it is today.
How do you explain how Harrisburg never grew that big?

Did Philadelphia take away most of the population that would have otherwise settled in that area?

Old 04-24-2014, 05:17 PM

2,330 posts, read 4,402,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LNKNE-ADJ View Post
I'm from nebraska. I can assure you that Maryland isn't on my radar. But your hang-up on it and whether or not it's in the south is a little strange.
Obviously Maryland is in your radar because you choose to attack me for stating the obvious that Maryland is a Southern state in which it looks like you have a problem with accepting it.

Old 04-24-2014, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYMTman View Post
No reason to think Baltimore would be bigger than it is now, imo. If anything, the opposite is true. Most of the growth in the Baltimore MSA over the past couple decades have been in Howard and Anne Arundel Counties, and if not for DC's existence, you can forget about that growth.

To answer the OP, Baltimore would be slightly smaller, and Maryland generally would be more economically stagnant and rural. Politically it would be centrist or center-left; in 2012, without Montgomery and Prince George's counties, basic math says Maryland would have voted for Obama, but by a much slimmer margin. Maryland would also have a somewhat smaller black population, since you lose the huge black population clustered in the southern/eastern DC suburbs. Probably more on the order of 20% black.

The total opposite of what you stated. Without DC, Maryland would be more conservative republican and the majority of the Black population would be around Baltimore, Annapolis, Frederick, and Salisbury.

Old 04-24-2014, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
Most likely Philadelphia.
Yeah a small possibility if Wilimington, Del did not expand further out.

Old 04-24-2014, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
This is what I was thinking too.

I think you'd see increased size and influence mostly in Baltimore, but also noticeable differences in Philadelphia, Annapolis, and Alexandria. Richmond's cultural and economic influence may be larger as well since there wouldn't be nearly as much development and growth in NOVA.

I was thinking that the Hampton Roads region would be much larger since it is along the water.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.