Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2014, 09:07 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,485,386 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
I imagine that most Jewish people who live in Manhattan today are much more like Michael Bloomberg, just not as obscenely wealthy as him.
That doesn't make much sense. Well, obviously Jewish Manhattan-ites don't resemble those 100 years ago, but most can't resemble current billionaires. Or have much in common with one.

"The rich are very different from you and me.*they have more money"

In any case, migration patterns 100 years ago affect the current demographics and culture to some extent. Well-off urban neighborhoods of DC or San Francisco are nowhere as Jewish. In the NYC metro at least, Jewish population tends to concentrate in certain areas. Parts of Manhattan and Nassau County are such areas. Westchester much more so than Fairfield County. And not most of Suffolk County.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2014, 12:10 AM

10,109 posts, read 9,971,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
NYC and Philly feel more Jewish even russian than anywhere else on the East coast - LA has more of similar vibe without the Italian influence. Philly feels to me also have a stronger Irish fell - Boston a little moreso
Baltimore has a decent Jewish population of a little over 9%.

Old 05-13-2014, 07:09 AM

32,106 posts, read 34,720,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
You mean around 4%. 9% would be a higher percentage than all metros with the exception of New York and Miami.

Old 05-13-2014, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcave360 View Post
It's not just African American in Maryland. There's also strong Catholic and German ancestral ties throughout the state and it's reflective in its demographic history.
I didn't say it was just African American. I just said that African American was the most common ancestry, which makes it different from New York. Italian is the most common ancestry in New York, which leans it towards Southern New England as far as our comparison is concerned.

There is no discernible German influence in the DC/MD/VA area. You might find that in some Midwestern cities, but not in the DC Metro area.

The majority of Catholics in Maryland aren't White. Only 15.26% of the state's non-Hispanic White population is Catholic. In New Jersey, that figure is 48%. I haven't calculated Connecticut, Massachusetts and Rhode Island, but I'm going to assume that White Catholics make up a large percentage (40%+) of the total White population in those states too.

Old 05-13-2014, 08:32 AM

27,566 posts, read 28,665,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
There are substantial Jewish communities in the Maryland suburbs of Washington, D.C. Montgomery County is 11.6% Jewish. The University of Maryland at College Park has a 26% Jewish student population.

I had a lot of Jewish friends when I was growing up in Prince George's County. I even went out with a few Jewish girls in high school and college. But once again, most of them didn't wear their religion on their sleeves, they looked just like WASP-y Americans, and I usually found out after the fact. It only became obvious when they celebrated Jewish holidays instead of Christmas.

Washington, D.C. is kind of strange I guess in that most of the ethnic and immigrant populations settled in its suburbs instead of the city proper. That pattern continues to this day.

Last edited by BigCityDreamer; 05-13-2014 at 08:44 AM..

Old 05-13-2014, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Washington, D.C. is kind of strange I guess in that most of the ethnic and immigrant populations settled in its suburbs instead of the city proper. That pattern continues to this day.
Some did settle in the city proper. It's just that the numbers weren't that large. And that's pretty much the story for a lot of American cities. It's not like Seattle, San Diego, Birmingham or Denver started out with nothing but "White" people. You had a lot of different ethnicities, but there just weren't enough of any single one to retain a distinct identity over several generations.

Immigrant settlement in the DC suburbs is a very recent phenonmenon. In 1980, Montgomery County was 4.0% Asian (there were even fewer Hispanics). By 2010, Asians constituted 13.8% of the population with their total numbers increasing more than six-fold. The increase in Fairfax County was even more pronounced. The Asian population there tripled between 1990 and 2010.

DC in the 1980s and 90s was two cities (which is still largely the case today). There was west of the park, which was white, affluent, and not really affordable to the vast majority of immigrants fresh from Asia and Latin American. And then you had the part east of the park, which had the second or third highest homicide rate in the country. Given those choices, I suppose most immigrants would opt for the suburbs.

Old 05-13-2014, 11:07 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
DC in the 1980s and 90s was two cities (which is still largely the case today). There was west of the park, which was white, affluent, and not really affordable to the vast majority of immigrants fresh from Asia and Latin American. And then you had the part east of the park, which had the second or third highest homicide rate in the country. Given those choices, I suppose most immigrants would opt for the suburbs.
Where else would be higher?

Old 05-13-2014, 11:09 AM

Quote:
I had a lot of Jewish friends when I was growing up in Prince George's County. I even went out with a few Jewish girls in high school and college. But once again, most of them didn't wear their religion on their sleeves, they looked just like WASP-y Americans, and I usually found out after the fact. It only became obvious when they celebrated Jewish holidays instead of Christmas.
Many Jews in the NYC region are rather assimilated, but often keep a Jewish identity more so than that. The Jewish population is also rather clustered. WASP-y Americans often look lighter complexion than Italian-American or Jews.

Old 05-13-2014, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
You mean around 4%. 9% would be a higher percentage than all metros with the exception of New York and Miami.
He was referring to the city proper.

Old 05-13-2014, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Where else would be higher?
Among larger cities, Oakland and New Orleans. However, Gary, IN once had a higher murder rate than all of these cities. East St. Louis, IL may have also been higher.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.