Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-11-2014, 09:38 PM

25 posts, read 46,480 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I'm deciding on whether going to medical school in the suburbs of Chicago or in Des Moines. There are benefits to both cities, like Chicago having more things to do and Des Moines being closer to home and family along with cheaper prices. I am single and plan on living on campus, I just got my undergraduate bachelor's degree from the University of Wisconsin-Madison in chemistry and am either going to Midwestern University in Downers Grove or Des Moines University. Are one of the two better?
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2014, 06:11 AM

27,196 posts, read 43,886,661 times
Cheaper and closer to family would be two nice perks in my opinion....not to mention DMU is one of the largest, oldest/most established medical schools in the country.

Old 05-12-2014, 07:11 AM

4,675 posts, read 7,400,914 times
Des Moines is going to much more similar to Madison than Chicago (even its suburbs). I suppose you have to ask yourself if you'd prefer being close to a big city or if you prefer being in a much smaller city. If a bigger city isn't your thing, then I would go with Des Moines; if you really want to take advantage of the big city on a regular basis, then being in the Chicago suburbs would be the choice. Both Downers Grove and Des Moines have excellent qualities of life, but you will pay more for it in DG than DM.

Old 05-12-2014, 08:09 AM

7,330 posts, read 15,383,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
not to mention DMU is one of the largest, oldest/most established medical schools in the country.
DMU is only two years older than MU, and is actually smaller, too. And to clarify, you're looking at osteopathic (DO) med schools. There aren't many rankings for DO schools, but in terms of average MCAT (at least according to this website), DMU and MU are neck and neck. Osteopathic Schools Ranked by MCAT

But in terms of logistics, I think there's a clear winner here. You'll be extremely busy with school either way, and attending school in the suburbs of Chicago isn't like going somewhere in the city. Downer's Grove, while not far-flung, is a hike from the city for someone up to his/her neck in school work. If I were you, I'd lean DMU.

Old 05-12-2014, 08:59 AM

11,289 posts, read 26,189,443 times
I was just in Des Moines, and my family grew up there, been in Chicago now for 13 years. I stick to the city of Chicago though, the burbs to me are just this big blob out there in the distance.

I love Des Moines, clean, growing quickly, safe, lots to do, very optimistic place. I had forgotten when I went last what a great place it is.

Old 05-12-2014, 02:39 PM

5,294 posts, read 10,205,367 times
Duh, Chicago

Old 05-12-2014, 04:57 PM

1,704 posts, read 3,441,956 times
Des Moines is very similar to Madison, it's just not a college town. The DMU campus is in a really nice part of the city, close to downtown but still tree-lined and pretty.

Old 05-13-2014, 10:03 AM

11,289 posts, read 26,189,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaii4evr View Post
Duh, Chicago
Why duh?

Old 05-13-2014, 10:17 AM

1,485 posts, read 2,251,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
Why duh?
If they bothered to actually, you know, read the OP's post there'd be no "duh" about it.

Old 05-13-2014, 10:46 AM

4,059 posts, read 5,618,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaBredChicagoan View Post
DMU is only two years older than MU, and is actually smaller, too. And to clarify, you're looking at osteopathic (DO) med schools. There aren't many rankings for DO schools, but in terms of average MCAT (at least according to this website), DMU and MU are neck and neck. Osteopathic Schools Ranked by MCAT

But in terms of logistics, I think there's a clear winner here. You'll be extremely busy with school either way, and attending school in the suburbs of Chicago isn't like going somewhere in the city. Downer's Grove, while not far-flung, is a hike from the city for someone up to his/her neck in school work. If I were you, I'd lean DMU.
On the whole I think this is right (I'm blocked from repping it, however). While Chicago is a fun city, traffic getting in from those west suburbs can be a bear even 'off-peak,' plus that stretch of I-88 is a toll road and parking most places downtown is horrendously expensive.

And you'll be investing a lot, lot of time and $$ to succeed in getting your medical degree. Not that you won't want to blow off steam now and then, but it's unlikely you'll really be painting the town and sitting in I-88 traffic to do it. Your quality of life, and ability to just pop out for a social event, will likely be higher and more affordable in Des Moines.

Now...that said, having been all over the upper midwest in the winter, Des Moines isn't my favorite place to be in January, but really, Chicagoland isn't all that much better that time of year, no matter how lovely the lights on Michigan Ave can be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.