Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2019, 04:59 AM

1,537 posts, read 1,913,576 times

Advertisements

Are lunchbox liberal (i.e. an absence of lofty philosophical concerns in favor of a concern for people's more basic needs) cities, like Cleveland, the answer to today's liberal/centrist who wants to avoid the loony-left, but enjoys the abundance of amenities found in your typical democratic city?

What about progressive republican places like Salt Lake City? Or even the Rockefeller Republican or the South Park Republican? Might these be the answer for those who side with today's conservative, but can't stomach the social approach they typically take?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2019, 11:46 AM

8,501 posts, read 8,794,511 times
In general I think which state you are in matter more for political concerns than which city. Cities have some political issues in terms of tax rates, addressing homelessness, etc. but many of the services are not that political, unless you want to take the discussion deep. Cities do have cultural leans.

Old 06-25-2019, 02:13 PM

8,256 posts, read 17,351,289 times
There's really no such thing as a conservative or Republican major city. They're almost all blue. Your example of Salt Lake City is wrong. SLC is not Republican. According to Wiki, "since 1976, all of the city's mayors have been Democrats." Also, Utah's 4th Congressional District flipped blue in 2018. Wiki: "Salt Lake City Council members adopted two bills in 2009 and 2010 which prohibit employment and housing discrimination (except by religious groups) based on sexual orientation or gender identity. LDS Church leaders said before the adoption that they supported the bills and that they could be a model for the rest of the state."

"As the liberal capital of a conservative-heavy state, Salt Lake recently celebrated the election of the City's first openly gay mayor, Jackie Biskupski, who has been an unparalleled proponent for integrating the diverse aspects of the local culture. Salt Lake has fully embraced the gay community, in fact, The Advocate named Salt Lake as the #8 in their list of the Queerest Cities in America."
https://www.visitsaltlake.com/about-...dly-salt-lake/

https://www.latimes.com/nation/la-na...nap-story.html

Salt Lake City has highest rate of gay parents in U.S.
https://www.visitsaltlake.com/articl...parents-in-us/

https://www.advocate.com/travel/2012...rticle-content

Salt Lake City No. 3 in U.S. mid-size cities for same-sex couples
https://www.visitsaltlake.com/articl...e-sex-couples/

Utah High School Crowns Transgender Prom Queen
https://www.visitsaltlake.com/articl...er-prom-queen/

How Salt Lake City Became an Unlikely Gay Mecca | TakePart

FWIW, it's highly unlikely that any prosperous medium or large city is conservative or Republican. From a quick glance at the map included on this Wiki page, there is no major city that does not have protections for LGBTQ non-discrimination in employment and housing. Even cities we may consider "conservative" are covered, such as OKC or Jacksonville FL. I may be wrong since I'm not an expert at finding those cities within their counties, but it looks to me like all major cities are covered by at least "Sexual orientation discrimination prohibited in public employment," but the majority are covered by "Sexual orientation and gender identity discrimination prohibited in public and private employment."

Those who care about everyone care about everyone. Those who care about social safety nets, homelessness, access to jobs via transit for the poorest who can't afford cars, drug addiction, criminal justice reform, etc. are often the same people who are going to be voting for LGBT rights expansion and protection of undocumented immigrants. Those who only care about their own wallets and disregard all others have the sickening ability to rationalize them having a few more dollars in their bank account at the expense of someone else being homeless, dying of drug addiction, being deported to a country they left when there were 8 months old, or being fired just for the way God made them. I'm not saying these stereotypes apply to everyone. But it's rare that someone who votes for higher taxes to support public transit (so all have access to jobs) and higher taxes to house the homeless, would then turn around and vote against LGBT ordinances.

Old 06-25-2019, 02:18 PM

32,113 posts, read 34,732,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Port Pitt Ash View Post
Are lunchbox liberal (i.e. an absence of lofty philosophical concerns in favor of a concern for people's more basic needs) cities, like Cleveland, the answer to today's liberal/centrist who wants to avoid the loony-left, but enjoys the abundance of amenities found in your typical democratic city?
Why don't you try Queens, NY?

Old 06-25-2019, 02:52 PM

37,882 posts, read 41,970,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Why don't you try Queens, NY?
It's part of loony-left NYC so it probably doesn't count to him.

Old 06-25-2019, 03:09 PM

10,219 posts, read 15,931,403 times
There are no liberal mostly white blue collar cities.

But I guess you can count Baltimore, Detroit, Newark, Camden, East St. Louis and Compton as blue collar liberal cities.

Old 06-25-2019, 03:18 PM

21,637 posts, read 12,785,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post

But I guess you can count Baltimore, Detroit, Newark, Camden, East St. Louis and Compton as blue collar liberal cities.
Did OP say mostly white?

But yea Newark and Baltimore are the best fit. Smaller-Medium New England cities (90-180k) might work too. But they’re not really all blue collar and when they are that not all that progressive. Try New Bedford MA.

Old 06-25-2019, 03:24 PM

10,219 posts, read 15,931,403 times
I think Colorado Springs counts as a majority conservative city and its a major city. Also we should look at major metro areas as a whole not just city limits. New Orleans is known for its extreme liberalism within its city limits, but the New Orleans metro as a whole is one of the more conservative in the nation. I think its safe to say that the New Orleans suburbs are more conservative than the suburbs of Pittsburgh, Cincinnati or Columbus, probably even more conservative than the suburbs of Atlanta and Houston.

Here in Baton Rouge, another major city, it is quite conservative outside of the black community. An overwhelming majority of whites and a small majority of Asians and Hispanics (excluding illegal aliens) are conservative. I live in a middle class, economic prosperous suburban area where 85% of the vote went to Trump and where Republicans hold every seat on the parish council and every seat on the city council and this area has sent exclusively Republicans to the state legislature since 1985. In Louisiana, the Democrat areas are the inner city ghettoes or the poor black communities in some of the rural areas of the state. The typical Louisiana Democrat is a low income or no income black person, often living in the hood. The typical Louisiana Republican is everyone else.

Old 06-25-2019, 03:30 PM

32,113 posts, read 34,732,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
Did OP say mostly white?
No. But that's what the people who voted for a certain orange political candidate mean when they say "blue collar." Latino construction workers in Houston or Asian-American BART mechanics living in the East Bay DO NOT COUNT.

It's easy in almost any large city to find a sizable population of people who work with their hands for a living. They're just not White.

Old 06-25-2019, 05:18 PM

1,083 posts, read 1,036,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post

Duluth, Minnesota
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.