Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-16-2014, 10:39 AM

62 posts, read 98,073 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone!

After living in the DC area/Northern VA suburbs for the past 20 yrs., it's no longer quite as appealing, and I'm ready for a change. But I realize that I'm in a very unique position so the options are pretty overwhelming. In a sense, I'm feeling somewhat lost...mid-life crisis, perhaps?!

40-something, divorced and no kids I've got nothing tying me down. Having essentially no debt and money in the bank I'm able to move almost anywhere. And my various businesses are totally portable, so as long as there's phone/Internet, I'm good to go!

Like most people, I want an area that's safe but also affordable/reasonable cost of living. And after owning a large house in the 'burbs for over ten years, I wouldn't mind downsizing to a nice waterfront townhome with a much smaller mortgage payment. Aesthetics are important. Weather is a major issue too, as I actually enjoy year-round heat and humidity.

On the personal side, I stay in shape and people often think I'm early to mid-30's. So that's allowed me to enjoy a playboy-type lifestyle in recent years, dating college age and early to mid-20's. Since I'm not much of a drinker/bar type though, an area with lots of these younger, open-minded women would be idea. Actually, friendly people in general, would be nice.

FL seems to cover most of the above. But which part of FL? And why limit myself to just one area? Maybe people here have some good suggestions for other cities or states? Or perhaps I should just travel around for awhile, living in a variety of different places? But which ones make the short list? Any ideas out there?

And thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2014, 11:06 AM

27,218 posts, read 43,942,133 times
Given all of your criteria I would recommend the Miami-Ft Lauderdale area.

Old 07-16-2014, 11:48 AM

Thanks, Kyle! VERY interesting!!! People say it's expensive, but maybe compared to the DC area, not as much?! Any "affordable" waterfront townhome type options??? Obviously, there's a young/attractive crowd down there. But are people friendly or somewhat clique-ish?! And is the social scene mostly reliant on nightlife/clubs??? How does Ft. Lauderdale compare to Miami proper?! For all the above, plus a more laid-back vibe, wouldn't Cali be a better option, perhaps???

Old 07-16-2014, 12:27 PM

5,525 posts, read 13,953,705 times
While having beachfront property in Florida would be lovely, I'd seriously caution anybody thinking of a LONG-term real estate purchase to think carefully about it.

Miami, the great world city, is drowning while the powers that be look away | World news | The Observer

Old 07-16-2014, 12:30 PM

Very true! Not necessarily beach property though...even something lakefront, Tampa Bay, Gulf of Mexico, etc. would be perfectly fine!!!

Old 07-16-2014, 12:37 PM

Now I'm starting to have some second thoughts about the social scene in S. FL...sounds similar to DC in many ways?! Here's what I found on another forum:

Thanks for pointing out the obvious, but that applies everywhere else too and is not what we are talking about. Most girls here are unapproachable, not just the ones who look like Shakira. A tall, handsome guy, with good game can have lots of difficulty meeting a girl here. It is much much easier to meet girls in public in other cities and states. My friend moved to Atlanta and he could not believe how much easier it is to meet nice girls willing to develop friendships and date. It is a problem that is unique to South FL, and is not prevalent in most other areas of the country. It stems from girls being self centered, thinking they are hot stuff, and having super-sensitive defense mechanisms in public places. If you approach a girl in a public place here, you are usually shot down right away. You are seen as sketchy.

Old 07-16-2014, 01:03 PM

27,218 posts, read 43,942,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FL4ME View Post
Now I'm starting to have some second thoughts about the social scene in S. FL...sounds similar to DC in many ways?! Here's what I found on another forum:

Thanks for pointing out the obvious, but that applies everywhere else too and is not what we are talking about. Most girls here are unapproachable, not just the ones who look like Shakira. A tall, handsome guy, with good game can have lots of difficulty meeting a girl here. It is much much easier to meet girls in public in other cities and states. My friend moved to Atlanta and he could not believe how much easier it is to meet nice girls willing to develop friendships and date. It is a problem that is unique to South FL, and is not prevalent in most other areas of the country. It stems from girls being self centered, thinking they are hot stuff, and having super-sensitive defense mechanisms in public places. If you approach a girl in a public place here, you are usually shot down right away. You are seen as sketchy.
I wouldn't place so much credibility on one internet post about one guy who's character is unknown...

Old 07-16-2014, 01:47 PM

7,778 posts, read 10,166,473 times
Jax Beach is cheap and laid-back. I don't think it's uncommon to see older guys with younger women.
That said, I think you've given yourself a difficult task if you're trying to generalize a city's social scene and then expect it to pan out for you. I'd pick any major metro for its other qualities and then focus on making yourself the kind of guy who can have success with the women you seek.

Seems like you've got plenty to choose from, as almost everywhere in the south will give you the warm climate you seek AND be cheaper than DC. Back to generalizations (of course I'm a younger guy so I've never had to try to pick up women ten years younger than me) but I'm thinking the largest cities will have the most "open-minded people."*** Dallas, Houston, Atlanta, Miami. But you might also consider Austin, New Orleans, Phoenix and Tampa as they can definitely offer the "playboy" lifestyle for cheap.

***I mean that these cities have the largest number of open-minded people in regards to women dating older guys. Not that their populations are the "most open-minded."

Old 07-16-2014, 02:00 PM

Excellent advice...thx! Looks like I'll be adding these others to the 'short list' as well!!!

Old 07-17-2014, 03:43 PM

7,778 posts, read 10,166,473 times
Something else came to mind...a place like Jacksonville (especially Jax Beach) leaves you with a smaller pool of women and fewer clubs/bars to choose from. If you live at Jax Beach I'd imagine after the first few months (or sooner) you will feel like you're running into all the same women on a daily basis. Even throughout Jacksonville, with it's ~1.4 million population, gives me that feeling. I'd expect St Petersburg to be the same way.

If this might be a concern, then you might want to stick to the major metros with larger transient populations and larger populations in general. Back to the Dallas, Houston, Atlanta, Miami, Phoenix, etc. New Orleans or Austin might be ok because of all the tourists and college girls...lol.

Fun stuff to think about...as I march towards the altar...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.