Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2014, 05:32 PM

542 posts, read 1,683,834 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightlysparrow View Post
In the Pacific NW you'd be trading humidity in the air for humidity in the form of rain. Rather relentless rain.

You could look at Central Coast California.
I agree with this. Seattle and Portland are all the craze right now, but bottom line is it's cloudy and drizzly most of the time there (with the exception of summer). And the whole argument about humidity - the PCN doesn't get that humid, but it still gets hot. I was in Portland last week when it was 90 degrees...still feels hot no matter what the humidity is.

I'd look into Oakland or Sacramento.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2014, 08:19 PM

854 posts, read 1,482,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason_show View Post
I agree with this. Seattle and Portland are all the craze right now, but bottom line is it's cloudy and drizzly most of the time there (with the exception of summer). And the whole argument about humidity - the PCN doesn't get that humid, but it still gets hot. I was in Portland last week when it was 90 degrees...still feels hot no matter what the humidity is.

I'd look into Oakland or Sacramento.
I'd also add the idea that Portland and Seattle never get humid is ridiculous. A few days ago the dewpoint hit 64F ... that's pretty muggy if you ask me. Summer dewpoints often top out around 60F which feels oppressive when it's 90F even if it only works out to 35-40% in relative terms.

Much of California gets humid too, most people don't realize Los Angeles is about as humid as Cleveland during the summer.

Old 07-17-2014, 07:41 AM

172 posts, read 255,326 times
Anything's gotta be better than the humidity in Louisiana at least. We had 94 degree days with 90% humidity last week, that made the "feels like" temps 106!

I saw that I should look into Oakland, which would be nice since it is near San Francisco. Is the crime still bad there and how affordable is it?

Old 07-18-2014, 06:15 AM

27,218 posts, read 43,942,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjmcgrath View Post
Hello everybody!

I am a young, married woman looking to relocate from Baton Rouge, Louisiana to somewhere with better/cooler weather. I have also previously lived in Birmingham, Alabama and St.Louis, Missouri. I am tired of the weather here in Louisiana, where it is 90+ with 90% humidity May-September. I actually have a heart/blood pressure condition called mitral valve prolapse and dysautonomia that causes me to dehydrate and overheat easily, so I really need to move somewhere I won't be sick all the time. My husband is a painter and has also done forklift and fishing work before. I work in insurance as a claims adjuster and currently work from home since I am too sick from the heat to head to the office.

What U.S. cities have cool/mild summers with winters not much below 20 degrees and are fairly affordable? I was thinking about the pacific northwest, such as Seattle or Portland, for cooler weather but I am certainly open to other suggestions.
I would also think given that condition that living in a place with very low humidity would be something to avoid as well (which eliminates much of the West). Everyone is quick to push Seattle and Portland on this forum but they're not exactly affordable options which you seem to be trying to focus on. You might check out cities like Olympia WA or Corvallis OR which are more affordable and with many of the same features in terms of climate and lifestyle.

Old 07-18-2014, 07:20 AM

10,839 posts, read 14,728,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J_Treehorn View Post
What?

San Diego is one of the most expensive places to live in America.

http://www.nhc.org/media/files/Ranki...rship_2013.pdf

Can't really argue about the weather, though. Anywhere in coastal Southern California would be ideal for the OP.....
San Diego is really not that expensive.
It is cheaper than LA, and LA is not that expensive.

Old 07-18-2014, 08:30 AM

603 posts, read 932,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
OP is coming from Baton Rouge so she might disagree.

Old 07-18-2014, 09:26 AM

135 posts, read 179,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
Thank you for your opinion.

Do you have any hard evidence to back that up? Either the "San Diego is really not that expensive" part or the "cheaper than LA" part? I own a house in LA, so I would love to hear your insight, see a few figures, and figure out what I've been missing. (Please don't reference Zillow or Nerdwallet).

Old 07-18-2014, 12:16 PM

172 posts, read 255,326 times
I have a 2 bedroom apartment in Baton Rouge that is $700, so I definitely couldn't afford LA or San Diego. But Washington and Oregon are good options since they are slightly more affordable.

Old 07-18-2014, 04:28 PM

2,821 posts, read 3,539,051 times
Quote:
I have a 2 bedroom apartment in Baton Rouge that is $700, so I definitely couldn't afford LA or San Diego. But Washington and Oregon are good options since they are slightly more affordable.
Best weather and OR and Wash don't go hand in hand. I lived in Tigard (right outside of Portland) for 2 years. Yes the summers are fairly mild but the other 9 months of the year are mostly cloudy, rainy and chilly. You can literally go for weeks without seeing the sun and it pouring rain most the time.

Old 07-18-2014, 04:39 PM

174 posts, read 245,162 times
Quote:
Anything's gotta be better than the humidity in Louisiana at least. We had 94 degree days with 90% humidity last week, that made the "feels like" temps 106!

I saw that I should look into Oakland, which would be nice since it is near San Francisco. Is the crime still bad there and how affordable is it?
Oakland has plenty of nice, safe areas but it is very expensive. Right next to San Francisco. Pretty much the entire Bay Area is super expensive. Yes, San Francisco is the epicenter but anything in the metro area is not cheap, esp. by Baton Rouge standards. I mean really expensive.

Sacramento is cheaper than the Bay Area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.