Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2014, 05:11 PM

17 posts, read 26,716 times

Advertisements

What city on the East Coast would be most similar to the vibe and lifestyle of Denver. Somewhere surrounded by nature, laid back, open minded people. Would it be Asheville and Roanoke?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2014, 05:30 PM

93,392 posts, read 124,009,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebasement10 View Post
What city on the East Coast would be most similar to the vibe and lifestyle of Denver. Somewhere surrounded by nature, laid back, open minded people. Would it be Asheville and Roanoke?
If you include smaller cities, Ithaca, Burlington and Amherst/Northampton could fit.

Old 07-26-2014, 08:20 PM

3,649 posts, read 4,502,433 times
Asheville could be a good candidate. Laid back is definitely one way to describe it. Maybe Knoxville as well. Maybe.

Old 07-27-2014, 09:19 AM

11,669 posts, read 17,953,214 times
Portland, ME
Burlington, VT
Northampton, MA
Keene, NH
Ithaca, NY
Asheville, NC
Tallahassee, FL

Old 07-27-2014, 11:08 AM

6,353 posts, read 11,594,235 times
Nashville is a more comparable size, a state capitol, and has also become surprisingly trendy of late. Pittsburgh is also worthy of consideration. Both have good economies.

Other smaller cities are closer to taller mountains. Is that important? What kind of work do you do? Can you elaborate on what you mean by open minded?

Old 07-27-2014, 11:25 AM

3,147 posts, read 3,503,364 times
If you are looking for similar size AND attributes, nothing on the coast fits. I would say the closest at that point would be Pittsburgh. Charlotte or Nashville are maybes behind Pittsburgh.

Old 07-27-2014, 04:22 PM

17 posts, read 26,716 times
Thanks guys I'll look into all the cities recommended, never thought about Pittsburgh. @creeksitter , I'm a chef and it would be nice to be near tall mountains but mostly looking to just be around nature in general. Like lots of places to go hiking, biking, walking, close vicinity to camping and outdoor activities. A place where people are intelligent, well traveled, open to new ideas, like to recycle, cool bookstores, small businesses, people that like to grow their own food, artists, that type of stuff. Never would of thought about Tallahasee or Burllington, thanks @nep321

Old 07-27-2014, 05:36 PM

1,085 posts, read 1,768,504 times
Maybe Athens Ohio and Morgantown West Virginia for smaller towns. For bigger cities, Pittsburgh might work.

Old 07-27-2014, 06:18 PM

14,186 posts, read 22,752,558 times
I think Columbus, OH might compare more closely to Denver than Pittsburgh does. It's a state capital with a highly educated and reasonably diverse population, and it's also a relatively new city with brisk population growth. For as much progress as Pittsburgh has made this century, it's still not as diverse as Denver or Columbus, and it's not growing as fast either. On top of that, most of the action is in Allegheny County while the six outlying metropolitan counties remain rather stagnant. The under-45 population in Pittsburgh is very highly educated, though, and one big advantage that Pittsburgh has over Columbus is outdoor recreation, both in the city itself and nearby. The Laurel Highlands are an hour or two east of Pittsburgh, and while they're not the Rocky Mountains, they do still have skiing, hiking, biking, camping, whitewater rafting, etc.

I guess if you want a city that's a lot like Denver right now, then the answer would be Columbus, but if you're willing to take a chance on a city that's rebuilding itself, then the answer would be Pittsburgh, which is more like a "Rust Belt" Seattle or Portland if you're going to compare it to a Western city.

Old 07-27-2014, 06:22 PM

3,147 posts, read 3,503,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post
I think Columbus, OH might compare more closely to Denver than Pittsburgh does. It's a state capital with a highly educated and reasonably diverse population, and it's also a relatively new city with brisk population growth. For as much progress as Pittsburgh has made this century, it's still not as diverse as Denver or Columbus, and it's not growing as fast either. On top of that, most of the action is in Allegheny County while the six outlying metropolitan counties remain rather stagnant. The under-45 population in Pittsburgh is very highly educated, though, and one big advantage that Pittsburgh has over Columbus is outdoor recreation, both in the city itself and nearby. The Laurel Highlands are an hour or two east of Pittsburgh, and while they're not the Rocky Mountains, they do still have skiing, hiking, biking, camping, whitewater rafting, etc.

I guess if you want a city that's a lot like Denver right now, then the answer would be Columbus, but if you're willing to take a chance on a city that's rebuilding itself, then the answer would be Pittsburgh, which is more like a "Rust Belt" Seattle or Portland if you're going to compare it to a Western city.
I suggested Pittsburgh because it is *Closer* to the east coast, which is what the OP asked for. Columbus is completely Midwestern....

I know Pittsburgh isn't on the coast either, but it is probably the closest city to the coast that resembles Denver in the ways the OP was interested in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.