Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2014, 04:05 PM

5,985 posts, read 13,127,062 times

Advertisements

I've heard this idea many, many times before that Canada mutliculturalism tolerates and embraces a true mosaic of multiculturalism, whereas the US has historically and today been more of a "melting pot" where immigrants leave their old life behind and become Americans.

Any quick search will tell you this as this video shows:

American Melting Pot vs. Canadian Multiculturalism - YouTube

However, as far as I can tell, the REALITY is actually reversed. And this view is really more based, on think on how the respective residents of both countries would like to THINK is the reality of their countries, or what they think the AIM should be.

However, I think any surface observation shows the reverse is REALLY the case.

I mean just look how drastically different the American accents and other cultural aspects are across the country.

We have African American culture (mostly urban, but also small town/rural in the south, with styles of music, etc. ) hispanic American/Chicano culture and everything that comes with it, Southern culture (conservative) urban white Catholic culture (Italian Americans, Irish Americans, etc., etc. as well as other IE: NYC Jewish culture) NONE of this is assimilation or a melting pot.

And I can go ON and ON and ON.

I mean this is obviously a vast generalization, but I'm just pointing out the reality that:

These are all DRASTICALLY different from each other, almost really are like separate countries.

vs.

Canada that apart from Quebec and the Maritimes, has one overall distinct accent, largely British isles descended (again except for Quebec and Maritimes, as well as remote areas which are Metis/First Nations/indiginous), etc. with Canada becoming a melting pot a little later, with immigrants primarily coming from nations that have had a lot of success in integrating and become successful middle class (Asian, South Asian, African/Caribbean who don't take for granted the opportunities that a prosperous anglophone nation offers, as well as Latin Americans who come in smaller numbers and really make the trek, as opposed to the US.

So you don't have achievement gaps, and vastly contrasting political differences broken along racial and ethnic lines the way in the US. (All the indicators of quality of life, violent crime, educational attainment are dragged down by the vast subcultures AA, hispanic, to a lesser extent rural, small town southern white culture (education, not so much violent crime), even white Catholic working class in the Northeast, Chicago, other midwest cities etc. to a slight extent.

Again, I don't want to generalize or offend, simply illustrating the reality that its the US that is the mosaic, and Canada that is more of the melting pot (the bell curve is smoother), even if many in the country would like to think its the opposite. (maybe because the establishment in the US is more conservative and believe the melting pot is the desired result, whereas Canada overall being more liberal, think a mosaic is the more desired result?)

The OP in this thread also illustrated my point:

Not buying the idea Canadians are Americans
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2014, 05:09 PM

Well, I just had a thought, an answer to my own question.

Maybe its BECAUSE there was an aim for a one molded, melting pot ideal, is WHY there is the achievement gap, and social problems within certain groups, because those minorities and subcultures could not achieve the desired molded output, thus making them different because of marginalization.

Whereas maybe in Canada, by embracing the mosaic idea, everyone was able to achieve middle class success and stability thus making everyone a little more even socioeconomically, thus making it appear to have smoother demographics.

Still curious to see anyones input.

Old 08-05-2014, 05:13 PM

93,350 posts, read 124,009,048 times
I'd say that the US is more of a pluralistic society for the reasons you mentioned in your first post.

Old 08-05-2014, 06:17 PM

604 posts, read 1,521,911 times
Canada never had chattel slavery, and never had to deal with the legacy of state sanctioned discrimination against people of African origins.

Most of the recent immigrants to Canada are from sucessful Asian nations. Makes a big difference.

Old 08-05-2014, 07:34 PM

13,827 posts, read 29,944,218 times
Any collective identity Americans had in the past is being slowly whittled away by groups that want to retain their cultures.

We don't have a melting pot here anymore. Even as recently as 20-50 years ago, we did.

I have always felt that Canadians did a better job at this than we do.

Canadians are generally Canadians. Americans tend to like the hyphens more.

Old 08-06-2014, 03:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar View Post
Any collective identity Americans had in the past is being slowly whittled away by groups that want to retain their cultures.

We don't have a melting pot here anymore. Even as recently as 20-50 years ago, we did.

I have always felt that Canadians did a better job at this than we do.

Canadians are generally Canadians. Americans tend to like the hyphens more.
Hmm . . . . i'd have to disagree with ya there.

WASPs would have said the same thing when Irish and German immigrants came over in the 1800s.

The fact that we had a civil war at one time also alludes to the fact that we did not necessarily have a collective identity in our history.

Old 08-06-2014, 07:29 AM

93,350 posts, read 124,009,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skihikeclimb View Post
Canada never had chattel slavery, and never had to deal with the legacy of state sanctioned discrimination against people of African origins.

Most of the recent immigrants to Canada are from sucessful Asian nations. Makes a big difference.
That first part is not true. It was done in a different way, but it existed. Slavery | Virtual Museum of New France

Black History Canada - Timeline 1600-1700

Many immigrants come from the Caribbean and Africa as well.

Old 08-06-2014, 10:32 AM

647 posts, read 1,217,502 times
The USA is welcoming to minority immigrants, and more accepting, because of its cultural DNA of an openness to new ideas, different ways of doing things, challenging norms, higher risk appetites and embracing of innovation.

Capitalism values hold away over hiring, scholarship and academic decisions, so a higher percentage of people exercise may-the-best-man-wins attitude. Competitiveness and meritocracy are in the DNA of American society which has a big influence on its attitudes and treatment of high-skilled immigrants. Canada has a cliquey-provincial mindset that still pervades its culture. Many Canadians tolerate immigration. Many don't necessarily welcome it.

There are exceptions in America for sure. There are still many bigots, tea bagger racist, chest thumping flag waving uneducated types. But they are not as pervasive.

Last edited by sadgirl80; 08-06-2014 at 10:40 AM..

Old 08-06-2014, 10:55 AM

604 posts, read 1,521,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
That first part is not true. It was done in a different way, but it existed. Slavery | Virtual Museum of New France

Black History Canada - Timeline 1600-1700

Many immigrants come from the Caribbean and Africa as well.
Right but Canada did not have slavery on the scale that the United States had.

Plus there is a huge difference economically and socially between African immigrants, and those who are descedants of slaves.

Old 08-06-2014, 06:49 PM

13,827 posts, read 29,944,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex?Il? View Post
Hmm . . . . i'd have to disagree with ya there.

WASPs would have said the same thing when Irish and German immigrants came over in the 1800s.

The fact that we had a civil war at one time also alludes to the fact that we did not necessarily have a collective identity in our history.
Not ever since then? Not at any point within the last 60 years?

Will today's racial/ethnic minorities assimilate themselves as the Irish/Germans/Italians did?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.