Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-03-2014, 12:25 AM

336 posts, read 716,462 times

Advertisements

We are looking for some place in the New England area. We are in upstate NY right now and the cost of living is the thing we really struggle with...especially looking ahead to being a retired couple one day. Where would you suggest that has great schools or at least is homeschool friendly, great healthcare, safety, and a real bang for your buck? We are considering any place in New England at this point though I am not looking for winters longer than we already have. In fact, I'd love to have longer summers than we do, but I know that may be difficult to find in New England.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2014, 06:23 AM

93,389 posts, read 124,009,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by isis297 View Post
We are looking for some place in the New England area. We are in upstate NY right now and the cost of living is the thing we really struggle with...especially looking ahead to being a retired couple one day. Where would you suggest that has great schools or at least is homeschool friendly, great healthcare, safety, and a real bang for your buck? We are considering any place in New England at this point though I am not looking for winters longer than we already have. In fact, I'd love to have longer summers than we do, but I know that may be difficult to find in New England.
If anything, your cost of living will go up, unless you live in a part of "Upstate NY" closer to NYC. Even with that, the COL is probably about same. Given that the overall COL for most of Upstate NY is around the national average, you may have to look South. Even with that, some areas will also be on par in terms of overall COL, depending on what you are comparing. Perhaps a community like Clemson SC could work.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 08-03-2014 at 06:34 AM..

Old 08-03-2014, 06:43 AM

27,224 posts, read 43,942,133 times
Quote:
It sounds like you're attracted to a place with a four season climate yet minus the severity of upstate NY in terms of winter. If you're looking for more affordable options with longer summers you might look along the I-81 corridor in SW Virginia at places such as Roanoke or Staunton, as well as in NE Tennessee in Johnson City.

Old 08-03-2014, 11:56 AM

4,787 posts, read 11,763,231 times
Unfortunately, you'll find most of New England has a higher cost of living than where you are now. Perhaps the only places with comparable cost of living would be the more remote areas of Maine. However, you won't find great health care in places far from major cities and winters would be tough.

Generally,you won't find many people moving to New England to retire- it's just too expensive in regard to high taxes, high utility costs.

Kyle's suggestion of the Rt 81 corridor from PA, through VA & into northeast TN is one you should consider.

Last edited by willow wind; 08-03-2014 at 12:58 PM..

Old 08-18-2014, 06:47 PM

336 posts, read 716,462 times
Thank you everyone. We have actually looked at Winchester/Stephens City a bit, but then strayed away from it when we began to think it would be more important to be near either my SIL in NE or my in-laws in the Carolinas. Maybe we need to look back there again...

Old 08-18-2014, 07:17 PM

93,389 posts, read 124,009,048 times
Quote:
Thank you everyone. We have actually looked at Winchester/Stephens City a bit, but then strayed away from it when we began to think it would be more important to be near either my SIL in NE or my in-laws in the Carolinas. Maybe we need to look back there again...
Or maybe look a little further west in Upstate NY. Here's a community that I think is very underrated up here: NHhomepage
Village Of New Hartford: Homepage: [Digital Towpath]

New Hartford Central School District / Homepage

Sangertown Square
Welcome | New Hartford Shopping Center
The Orchard, New Hartford, NY | Cameron Group LLC

It has very good schools, plenty of shopping, a range of housing prices and is close to some area employers.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 08-18-2014 at 07:34 PM..

Old 08-21-2014, 01:13 PM

10 posts, read 10,254 times
You'll have to get out of new england to find that, I'm afraid. Unless you want to live in a backwoods town in northern Maine, but forget about the winters, adn it's certainly not affordable with property taxes and poor healthcare. Not a place to retire. Head south. Carolinas or Florida. New Mexico?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.