Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-21-2014, 03:00 PM

1 posts, read 1,227 times

Advertisements

A little background, I'm in Phoenix now but am looking to hit the road and find some place more urbane and cosmopolitan to live. Of the cities in the title, which do you guys think offers the best situation for someone starting a life from scratch? I own a car, but a great public transit system would be a plus. I have an interest and some limited experience in commercial aviation (specifically cargo) and an associate's in Aviation Science. I'm now finishing up my Bachelor's in business management online from ASU. I worked in a coffee shop for two years so if nothing else I have that to get my feet off the ground too.

I have $1000 to my name to get started in a living situation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2014, 05:29 PM

2,515 posts, read 5,024,755 times
Either find a job first or wait until you have about 10 times as much money saved before moving to one of those cities. They're expensive and even finding a coffee shop job can take a while.

For aviation, the obvious choices would be Seattle, where Boeing started, and Chicago, where it's based now. But all of those cities have busy airports.

What do you like other than aviation? What kind of climate do you prefer? That might help pick a city but it's just as likely that you'll move to the one where you find a job.

Old 08-21-2014, 10:33 PM

9,000 posts, read 10,178,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movingaway89 View Post
A little background, I'm in Phoenix now but am looking to hit the road and find some place more urbane and cosmopolitan to live. Of the cities in the title, which do you guys think offers the best situation for someone starting a life from scratch? I own a car, but a great public transit system would be a plus. I have an interest and some limited experience in commercial aviation (specifically cargo) and an associate's in Aviation Science. I'm now finishing up my Bachelor's in business management online from ASU. I worked in a coffee shop for two years so if nothing else I have that to get my feet off the ground too.

I agree w/ the other poster-
save some more money before taking off.....
There's no guarantee you'll find a job right off the bat & $1000 isn't enough of a safety net.
Keep in mind that it's no fun being unexpectedly homeless, lol

And from your choices- I say Houston, you can't go wrong w/ Texas

Old 08-22-2014, 05:46 AM

27,215 posts, read 43,923,184 times
Quote:

Given your criteria Chicago in my opinion is a no-brainer from the list provided.

Old 08-22-2014, 07:27 AM

3,298 posts, read 3,891,781 times
Quote:
This isn't the 90s. You might find an efficiency at $700 a month in only Denver or Houston. If you live far enough out or in the hood, then Chicago. The landlord/corp will require the first, possibly last, month's rent with an almost or equal amount for a security deposit. You will need to provide a stable work history including possible pay stubs. Next you will need to come up with money for utilities, gas, and living expenses. A $10 hr coffee job isn't going to cut it. In Seattle, a $15hr coffee job isn't going to cut it.

Find roomates, stress on the plural, and you could live in the other cities you mentioned.

Old 08-23-2014, 01:02 AM

2,985 posts, read 4,886,156 times
Wow, $1,000? That's not enough to take for a weekend road trip, let alone a move. Save up at least $10,000. Any less in savings is not wise.

Old 08-23-2014, 01:53 AM

268 posts, read 430,643 times
Houston doesn't immediately strike me as any more urbane and cosmopolitan than Phoenix, but that's just me.

$1k isn't going to do it. 5 or 6 maybe if you get a cheap place lined up with roomies beforehand. Also , associates won't help you much, so I'd focus on the business management. Can you get an internship? Those cities are going to be cutthroat.

Old 08-25-2014, 12:25 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,449,641 times
Get a job where you are, work there for awhile. This will get you some experience and a possible transfer to another state where you might find to be a better choice after doing your research.

With only $1,000, a newly minted degree and experience in a field in which every other person has theirs and more, you are better off waiting a few years before you make your move unless you can line up something that will be guaranteed to be waiting for you when you get there.

One thing for sure, if this advice seems to be too hard to take, do not choose cities to which everyone else is flocking. You will have an extremely difficult time getting anywhere. Instead choose those that are not so sought after for relcoation. You do not want to even think about the West Coast or PNW. $1,000 will get you a couple of nights in a hostel and a few meals and then you are on the streets with all the other homeless people. Try again later.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.