Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2011, 03:48 PM

84 posts, read 157,228 times

Advertisements

Hmmmmm. This is Canada, but Calgary and Edmonton don't really have any (or many) burbs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2011, 07:25 PM

318 posts, read 870,039 times
Where I live, there are no suburbs. I live in the dead center of a valley the size of CONNECTICUT, and yet there are only 50,000 people in the entire valley, and 9k of them live in Alamosa, with me.

25 miles east is Blanca, CO, with 400 people. 15 miles to the south is La Jara, CO, with 800 people. 14 miles north is Mosca, CO, with 1200 people. 18 miles northwest is Monte Vista, CO, with 4,000 people.

I know there are plenty of rural places like this, and you're probably looking for more urban areas, but I thought I'd give an example anyway. What is it like? It sucks. I've lived in Blanca and I've lived in Alamosa. Living in Blanca, we went grocery shopping once a month. We did all of that "big city" stuff once a month. We could, to my surprise, get Alamosa radio stations as well as their TV station via bunny ears. Would a city like this survive? Well, it's farming country, despite being a desert. It's some of the poorest area in the country, and it's definitely the poorest in Colorado. Many of the families here have been here since the 1800s, when their hispanic ancestors first came to farm potatoes. Most of those who've come since then left once winter rolled around.

You asked why little towns popped up around Jacksonville. My question is, why wouldn't they? Why wouldn't those in the smaller towns want to be close to the conveniences of the big town?

Old 04-21-2011, 06:26 AM

23,449 posts, read 44,056,411 times
St Petersburg, Russia. It was so strange to me that the highrise apartment buildings just stopped and then you were in the country; there was no transition whatsoever. Thay are just now beginning to build suburban-style developments there.

Old 05-29-2011, 06:50 AM

3,071 posts, read 3,223,142 times
San Anotnio, TX has very few suburbs, the majority of the areas outside of the city limits are still considered to be San Antonio and have SA addresses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.